Transformers: Age of Extinction Toyline Underperforming?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Mechafire, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    LOL. The reviewers aren't buying the toys. The people who make the movies all that money buy the toys. This argument is highly invalid.

2. Snoopy Magnus

Snoopy Magnus THE FLYING MONKEY!

you know what, that is a very good point.

3. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

There are several factor, many of which have been well covered in this thread already, that contribute to this.

At least for me personally I have yet to buy a single AoE figure (and barely even touched Prime). The movies toys, with their dumbed down "instant gratification" transformations seem wholly uninteresting (even when I like the character design). Also the quality has dropped tendentiously over the past few lines (for the most part, there are exceptions). The Prime Beast Hunters figures have been some of the worst piles of poorly painted and jointed plastic I've had the displeasure of transforming (and these are not figures I myself spent money on).

My point is when you have a situation where many factors are going to negatively impact the line's sales across the general public spectrum while at the same time your poor quality (both in materials and design) keeps away the staunchest fans then you're not going to be doing all that well.

The amount of figures I buy from Hasbro has dipped to a lifetime low. Sadly the simple AoE line and the upcoming animated series esthetic seems set on keeping it that way. At least Brainstorm looks cool, Takara is doing their thing, and the 3rd party stuff keeps getting better ;) 

4. Prime135

Prime135 Jill Rhyme the science Prime

News Credits:
    To continue my rant/thought process further, if this was the other movie lines we'd have a tone of decepticons. We'd have voyager junkheap, wolves, a voyager lockdown, they would have probably even used the two headed shockwave as an advortisement toy, saying he'd returned from the dead or something along those lines.

5. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    No it's not. My 8 year old kid wants all the Dinobots.

You can't judge the entire downfall on what your son says.

6. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Come on Hasbro. Just try to hold on until Wave 4 or 5.

7. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

not only that but his kids will be at a disadvantage

8. wheeljack359

wheeljack359 Master Technician

Ebay:
    I wonder if its because the Quality of their toylines have been crap lately.

Nah must be videogames!!!!!

9. PepsimusP

PepsimusP Well-Known Member

There are Transformers that I want to buy--that I want to spend my money on--but they aren't on the shelf. I never saw Metroplex at retail. I've been hunting for Swerve & Cosmos forever. I hear Tailgate & Shrapnel are out... somewhere... but I haven't seen them. Rattrap? Crosscut? Tankor? Where are you?

When I go to the stores, all I see are movie figures... and I just don't like them enough to collect them. Look on ebay--do you see people paying top dollar for older Bay movie figures? Not really. There's not even a financial incentive for me to collect them.

Look at the 3rd party toy makers--a good 90% of them are focusing on figures that have the generation 1 "look" to them. And they do well, as they are aimed at adults. This is what adults want.

BUT, you say... Transformers is a brand for kids! Is it, though? Is it anymore? Not with the movie figures. The Bay movies are PG-13, and often filled with crude humor and overt sexuality. For the last 7 years, adults have watched these movies, and many who are parents of 5 to 7 year old children will not have their kids watch these movies, because they know what to expect.

The movie franchise has, over several years, changed the public's mind so that they associate Transformers as something NOT FOR KIDS. Thus, adults are not buying these toys for their children.

So, if adults are more interested in Generation 1, and small children are more interested in the cartoon series... really, where does that leave the movie figures? The clearance bin, that's where. You'll find them next to the Jar Jar Binks Episode 1 figures...

10. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

Honestly, I believe that it is a question of cost-cutting and oversimplification. I liken the AOE line to LEGO in the late 1990s/early 2000s. For those of you who aren't aware, LEGO nearly went belly up in the 1990s due to an oversimplified product line. The powers powers that be thought that complex sets with a large number of bricks were too complex for kids so in order to broaden their market share LEGO did the unthinkable; they simplified. The result; sets sat on shelves and LEGO was on the verge of bankruptcy. Simple isn't always better.

The other problem with the AOE toys (in my opinion at least) is that they don't really look that much like their on-screen counterparts. In many ways, these figures remind me of the Beasts Machines toys. When the animation models are impossible to replicate, you end up having toys that for many kids just don't measure up to their lofty expectations. If Hasbro wants to use the Transformers franchise to sell toys, they need to make a greater effort to ensure that the toys are accurate. Heck, with the Dinobots they didn't even try to match their colour schemes.

11. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I like G1 and the movie designs, but I don't think anyone can deny that the quality of the figures is going down. Hollow plastic, less paint, simplistic designs (again, talking about the toys, not the character designs themselves) with shell-forming, almost non-existent transformations. They barely qualify as transformers anymore... just robots wearing trucks on their back. At that point, what's the appeal?

12. Kyle Blues

Kyle Blues whoo.

This is why I miss transformers cybertron so much.
    The gimmicks were unobtrusive to otherwise fun, chunky figures. (Although, initially, there weren't that many different characters.)

13. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

stores sold less than 50% of what they were supposed to. stores are pissed. stores won't be stocking any new transformers and will just try to get rid of what they already have.

14. Robot.MacGyver

Robot.MacGyver Improvisational Engineer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wasn't gonna put in my 2 cents, but why not.
    I believe that vast majority of any issues, with any brand, & any company, is market flooding.
    They are so intent on bean counting and investor satisfaction, they have no time for what a better business model should be.
    Make a great product at a fair price.
    As it stands, they only care about the bottom line, and about making the money happy.
    They spread themselves so thin, they forget the roots of whatever line they flood the market with.
    Just in incidental sales alone, market flooding pays off, but eventually wears off.
    I remember not so long ago, they were going on about how they are refurbishing the brand to avoid confusion. It's never been more complicated than it is right now.
    Dozens of exclusives, dozens of repaints, of the same thing, in different boxsets, not to mention the plethora of dollar store quality merchandise.
    FOCUS!!!
    FOCUS!!!
    Focus on what makes the brand, and put effort into once series at a time and for goodness sakes, stop trying to reinvent yourself.
    Simplified, Everyone's kinda sick of Transformers.
    They're big enough to screw up, so they do.

15. highlander3000

highlander3000 Jump around!

News Credits:
    I think with a movie that has a limited cast like AOE it would have been easier to get the whole cast out in two waves. I think that would have helped some sales too. As it is, we got the four dinobots, evasion Prime, Galvatron, Hound, Crosshairs and one Bumblebee in the first two waves. Not too bad but missing Lockdown, Drift and maybe a better scaled Prime upgrade hurt a little.

16. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    People are coming up with some overly-complex reasons for the toyline underperforming.

The reality is the movie underperformed in the US and the West (where Hasbro sells the majority of their toys). With an underperforming movie, the toys are less desirable.

To top that off, so much of the line is centered around characters that appeared in the film for what? 5 minutes total? Big mistake.

I wonder how Takara is doing with the movie exploding in the East.

17. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I don't give two shits if the Movieverse stuff fails. What'll make me sad is if it takes Generations with it.

18. Griffin73

Griffin73 Commander

"If anyone thinks that the movies under-performing and the movie toys under-performing means Hasbro will change their minds, or do something to make a better long lasting movie franchise, you obviously don't know what goes on in the minds of businessmen and women.

When this cash cow dies that's it folks. No reboots, no re-imaginings, no G1 brought back to live action, no nothing. Transformers will simply vanish from retail the same as G.I.Joe has. Once bitten, twice shy as the saying goes."

There are lots of options for Transformers when the Bay-verse dies. CGI-only movies, Animated movies. Just because his over-inflated crap didn't make the dent they hoped it would doesn't mean the TF Universe is obsolete. It just needs some TLC and a new direction.

An all CGI TF could be the future of the franchise. Dump the 150 million dollar budget and do a 10 million dollar CGI movie for the fans. You'll get great sales and the video game kids interested as well.

19. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    The irony here is killing me

On a more related note: Movie toys aren't selling around here and I'll be damned if I can find anything past a wave 1 Voyager. My kid wants nothing to do with the one steps. He thinks they look stupid. He also doesn't like the Titans because they don't transform. Now, granted this is just one child and in the general scope of things it means nothing but I happen to agree with him. The TF section is plugged with unappealing young kid stuff for a PG-13 rated movie. I'm not surprised sales are low. I think Hasbro headed off in the wrong direction on multiple levels but I could be wrong. Tis just my speculation.

20. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Yeah the shelves are over flowing with kiddie crap even the kiddies think look ridiculous! I tried to show my 6 year old a bunch of them and he is the intended age group for those. He hated them and only looked towards the Generations figures. Sure he spends most of the time on video games but a lot of the day he has his "epic" toy battles in his room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.