Transformers Age of Extinction Slaughtered by these critics

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by wheelnut, Jul 9, 2014.

1. wheelnut

wheelnut Well-Known Member

Rotten Tomatoes 17%
    Show less

Forrest Wickman

Slate

I sincerely enjoyed the Transformer who was literally branded by Oreo.‪

Amy Nicholson

L.A. Weekly

The movie's crammed with useless nuts and bolts, the storytelling equivalent of a mechanic who lifts the hood of your car and says, "That's everything, fix it yourself."

Christopher Orr

The Atlantic

If it truly takes this long to save the world from the depredations of robots that turn into muscle cars, it may be that the world is no longer worth saving.

Peter Rainer

Christian Science Monitor

Reviewing a Transformers movie is a bit like reviewing a toy. In fact, it's exactly like reviewing a toy.

Dave McGinn

Globe and Mail

Well before it finished I was numb from its bludgeoning excess.

James Berardinelli

ReelViews

This is as excruciating a movie as is likely to be experienced by anyone, anywhere.

Scott Bowles

USA Today

The Transformers are brilliant, brave, world-conquering space travelers. Time to morph into something entertaining.

David Hiltbrand

Philadelphia Inquirer

Go if you must, but bring earplugs.

Tom Long

Detroit News

Seriously, the next movie should just be called "Transformers: Hammer to the Skull."

Betsy Sharkey

Los Angeles Times

It's still not a great movie, but it is, most definitely, full-metal Bay.

Richard Roeper

Richard Roeper.com

It is one of the most relentless movies I have ever seen. It just refuses to end.

Peter Keough

Boston Globe

One thing you have to give Bay credit for: He has a knack for bringing A-list talent down to his level.

A.O. Scott

New York Times

The story is scaffolding for the action, and like every other standing structure it is wrecked in a thunderous shower of metal, glass, masonry and earth.

Joe Williams

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

In an homage to such "cinema of cruelty" classics as Andy Warhol's real-time "Sleep," Bay allows the film to run for almost three hours and abandons all pretense of a plot.

Chris Nashawaty

Entertainment Weekly

Bay has said that this film will kick off a second trilogy of Transformers movies - and I think he's serious. That means there will be (at least) two more of these things. God help us all.

Christy Lemire

ChristyLemire.com

Long before Optimus Prime hoists his hulking metal frame onto the back of a giant robot dinosaur, wields his mighty sword and rides valiantly away to save the planet once more, Transformers: Age of Extinction plays like a parody ...

Joshua Rothkopf

Time Out New York

You're either awestruck, dumbstruck or just plain struck in the face.

Andrew O'Hehir

Salon.com

Inflated, interminable and incoherent ...

David Edelstein

New York Magazine/Vulture

Transformers: Age of Extinction is nearly three %$^&%!!# hours, and they're brain-freezing.

Jocelyn Noveck

Associated Press

The final confrontation alone lasts close to an hour, and at some point, you may find yourself simply in a daze, unable to absorb any further action into your brain.

2. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, they're so detailed.

3. fallen_revenge

fallen_revenge Movie News Addict

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Can we stop bringing up critics? We really don't give 3/4 of a fuck about there opinions.

4. celticgaurdian

celticgaurdian Clean-up Crew

I for one only give 1/4 of a fuck. It's higher than it probably should be, but what are you gonna do?

5. Autobots14

Autobots14 I'm pregant Trevor

We're done with critics we don't give a shit about them expect the ones who praised this movie.

6. Megatron276

Megatron276 destroyer

This

7. MasterZero

MasterZero Taking a Break

Not worth getting upset over.

8. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    They're not really wrong. The movie did fail on most levels apart from visual spectacle.

9. Sky-Byte

Sky-Byte Armada Fan

Some of these are pretty funny

10. wheelnut

wheelnut Well-Known Member

(fixed it for ya)

A little one sided don't you think ? a opinion can make or break a movie , especially by a critic. I for one will see it anyway and then form my own opinion afterwords. I just find it funny how they blasted this movie with their comments.

11. HoneyPrime

HoneyPrime ♥♥ Smokescreen ♥♥

Eh, I'm starting to get desensitized to the critics really. Most of the time it's the same thing being said. None of it's going to stop me from enjoying the movies or any movie I like for that matter.

12. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh boo-hoo, these poor critics couldn't handle 3-ish hours of a movie where there's 5 short skirmishes and a final battle that's about 16 minutes long.

13. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    For TF5, they should just post jpegs of mushroom clouds for their reviews. Because by TF5, there'll be nothing new to say.

There's really nothing new to say here, except comments on the length.

14. ironguymanpie

ironguymanpie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is the first time in a while I don't agree with critics, just goes to show you, the only opinion that matters is your own

15. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    i love whenever criticisms are brought up with AOE a bunch of movie fans blindly rage and dismiss them... stay classy, movie forum

16. OptimusJet

OptimusJet One with the Matrix

News Credits:
    The movie wasn't perfect but it wasn't THAT bad. I think it comes down to the 'non-fans' getting tired of the same stuff 4 times in a row.. Which I can understand. But I thought AOE was great and I enjoyed it, so at the end of the day the only opinion that matters is your own like ironguymanpie said :) 

17. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dislike of a film=/= the rabid crap these people are spewing.

18. TUROK1134

TUROK1134 Banned

Visual and auditory spectacle.

I don't blame critics for not liking Transformers. It's dumb and loud (and fucking awesome).

I have no idea how Godzilla got anything other than bad reviews, though. That movie failed on every front.

19. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    It's just a pissing contest among the critics. Who can come up with the most catchiest way to bash the movie. They offered no real insight other than the usual Bay hate. The movie was awesome. Fuck them. I enjoyed the movies and that's all I care about.

20. agent j 15

agent j 15 Banned

Guys, come on. AOE (Although I loved it) was fucking TERRIBLE.

I went to go see it again. I was bored. I was fucking BORED in an action movie where Optimus Prime rides Grimlock.

Sorry if you can't take a bunch of critics RIGHTFULLY complaining that the film sucked. But sometimes you have to be an asshole to make a point-and the point is that these films have shown a DECLINE in quality since 2007.

Everyone here says "Well, it wasn't terrible, but I hope we get better" and then go on to praise this shit...YOU'RE the reason these films are terrible. YOU consistently deflect any legitimate criticism with the film (the run time, the boring characters, the pandering to China, the inconsistent tone, the terrible pacing, the confusing and nonsensical plot, the rampant sexism, etc.) and bury your head in the sand hoping things will get better.

THAT'S NOT HOW SHIT WORKS.

If you guys want the movies to get better, YOU have to boycott a director who values lavish action scenes over a logical story and dedicated an entire scene to an idiotic statutory rape gag.

I get that there's movie fans-hell, I'm one of them-but Age of Extinction made me rethink the relationship between Bay and Transformers. If he's coming back for TF5, I'm not buying a ticket. I'll movie hop, but I will not give him any of my money to continue to insult not only my intelligence, insult not only any styles of decent film making, insult not only any form of storytelling that provides shit in a logical order, but insult the franchise that I absolutely fucking love.

Bay-I'm sure you're an okay guy. Hell, Armageddon, The Rock, Pain & Gain...you've shown you can make good movies. But please, challenge yourself a little bit. Maybe admit that your film making style doesn't work. We're depending on you, bro.