Transformers: Age Of Extinction Becomes The Highest Grossing Movie Of 2014

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Dec 24, 2014.

1. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    Color me impressed.

2. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    I was piggy-backing on your "lesser fans" comment to make a point. That there are indeed some folks who feel this way for whatever reason. It may not be you or even TheSoundWave necessarily, but the attitude is there (ie. around the boards here and society in general) and it's a vicious product of yellow peril hysteria, make no bones about it.

As for Bay whoring himself out for product, I refer back to my own post:

Whether it's pandering to Anheuser-Busch (Bud Light), Shuhua (that Chinese milk Joshua was sucking down in Hong Kong), GM/Chevy/Camaro (all the fucking Bumblebees), America (Fuck yeah! all those red-white-and-blue flags waving in the background of Cade's barn and elsewere), or China (pro-military statements of defending the people), it's ALL pandering, man. What makes any one specific instance of pandering (like the pro-China ones) any worse than the others?

As far as Avatar goes, that film had its own pro/against agenda issues (most notably that it made the military look like invading warmongers; it's probably not a stretch to say you could substitute the US military for said corporate military.... draw your own conclusions as to why it did so well in China from that perspective).

Except you left out the plot point in AOE where KSI had their factories based in China and Hong Kong and were planning to sell their military-grade/weaponized and civilian-specced Transformium products worldwide. As thin a plot point as it was, it still served its (legitimate) purpose of relocating some of the scenes to China and Hong Kong. You mentioned Battleship pandering to Asia for having some of its scenes set in Pacific waters but yet you made no mention of all the pro American military might being showcased on screen? There are two sides to every coin.

3. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    As someone who lives in Oklahoma and frequents Texas quite often, those flags aren't in any way out of place in AoE. Patriotism runs deep down there, let me tell ya.

4. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    I know firsthand. I'm currently stationed in Texas and it's a huge military town where I'm at. :D  I'm not saying patriotism is bad; my point is why the hypocrisy and double standards when China tries to make itself look just as good on screen? (And yes, I'm well aware that one of the ironically funny stipulations of AOE being allowed to be shown in China is the digital removal of all American flags from the background in most if not all scenes. :lol )

5. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    Bingo. I just didn't want people to think that somehow showing the American Flag was somehow some sort of advertisement to get down to Al Harrington's Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man and American Flag Emporium and buy up all the flags on sale today! XD

6. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I shouldn't be surprised at this point.

Yen's the currency for Japan, not China. China's currency is the yuan.

7. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    They should have enough to give us a real movie 4 pack with the robot features I've been wanting.

8. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    and some fans didnt want bay invvoled in transformers series........

9. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, get'em Mike.

10. Resistor

Resistor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers should only be set in Antarctica. Then no one will bitch.

11. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Curious to see if the Hobbit is able to top it.

12. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 What to type here?

News Credits:
    Ok, Yuan's are not dollars.

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I can't help but feel like the news needs the caveat of just world wide because domestically Age of Extinction only came in at #5 and not even #5 in a strong box office year for the US because AoE only beat out Maleficent by 4 million dollars. The box office success really all rests on China.

Which as a film buff kind of leaves me in a love/hate relationship with China. Because on one hand I've seen some really great films from China so Chinese film makers are top notch when it comes to making films. Plus it's super super hard to hate the place that gave us the Stephen Chow movies. But then on the other hand I also kind of hate China for bailing out bad American films so that studios don't have to raise the bar with better films to attract people to the movie theaters.

I guess if you want the movies to just keeping doing the same old things over and over again forever then it's all good news. But if you were hoping for anything different it's rather depressing news since it means being stuck with the same thing forever short of a trade war with China which cuts Hollywood off from dumping films there or the Chinese getting more media savvy like US ticket buyers seem to be cut into the profits of films that only try in the special effects department.

14. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Lol producer of the year...

I wonder how long pandering in China can keep the franchise afloat - the US returns were the worst of the 4 by far when you include inflation and 3D.

15. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    Well..congrats?

16. Thorns2010

Thorns2010 Well-Known Member

China this, China that, according to Box Office Mojo (the same source that claims AoE #1) AoE made $301 million in China. You take all of the money made in China away from the gross...guess what? AoE is still number 1 by about $14 million.

Oh, and Guardians of the Galaxy made $96 million in China, so take that away, and AoE is still the top grossing movie worldwide in 2014 by over $100 million. So anyone saying its because of China, stop it, because it makes you sound like an idiot.

EDIT: And hell, I don't even like the Bay films in the first place, but credit where credit is due.

17. Decepticons

Decepticons B∆K. Bug-a-Boo Ghost.

News Credits:
    While not pertaining to that ordeal earlier in the thread, I just want to say I agree wholeheartedly with this in general.

18. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    LOL, I don't even remember typing the F word :p 

19. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    Looking through this thread, what bothers me the most is that some people actually believe that Age of Extinction doing good will set some sort of precedent for more terrible films from other Hollywood companies or "more of the same" and more pandering. Its as if they're ignoring other more fantastic movies that have been made and came out this year and are being made for years to come. I fail to see how this validates anyone's frustration over aoe's success when in reality, its just overreacting and going off assumption.

Aside from that, good on AOE.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Because I think you have to look at the track record.

Marvel/Disney might have gone let's take risks to make art but other studios haven't really stepped up to go hey we can make art and block buster films at the same time. Studios like Paramount have become accountant studios so if they see a film like Edge of Tomorrow fail at the box office then it tells the studio play it safe because playing it safe just doing the same things over and over gets a safe box office return.

Transformers, GI Joe, Star Trek, I'm just not seeing anywhere that Paramount is even making an attempt to improve the quality of their films so I'm just not going to bank upon the idea that one day Paramount is going to say these movies need better stories, better directing, better acting, and other factors as long as Paramount is making money off the bad stuff.

Honestly I'm rather stumped to name the last time I watched an action film from Paramount that I'd consider to be a really good film.