Transformers a Top 5 Toy Property in 2009, ROTF Sales Up 20% Over 2007 Movie

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tim Formas, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    In my experience, most of us movie toy fans love the movie toys AND love the Classics/Animated/WFC/etc lines. I buy from all the lines and would be sad to see any of them go.

But those who don't like the the movie toys seem to actively want the line killed and stopped.

That's the key difference: movie toy fans don't seem to advocate Hasbro killing off the non-movie line toys, and in fact we usally love those other lines too. Non-movie toy fans seem to advocate killing our line off.

This news story is proof that killing off our line, as the "haters" want, would be bad for all Transformers toys, hence that other poster's comment of "haters eat your heart out".

I like the mantra of "live and let live". I'm not a big Beast Wars or Beast Machines fan myself, but I don't go into threads about them just to bash. I let BW/BM fans enjoy their line in peace, while I enjoy my lines.

ams is right, from what I've observed - you seem to appear in almost every good-movie-news thread to state the same anti-movie points over and over.

Just let it be, man.

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ash claims many times that he enjoys seeing fan fights "they're so silly hahaw!", maybe he wants to start something to get a kick off.

3. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

What? Many of the toys are just fine. That has little to do with the movie's quality.

My opinion on RotF is pretty clear, but the Ravage figure I have is great.

This is good news for the franchise's continued longevity, though. Sales like this keep the property at the forefront of HasTak's collective minds.

Of course the movie line would sell better, it's directed exceptionally broadly. It's very sound business and I think we must commend Hasbro's marketing people for making a string of sound decisions while still doing things like doling out the remaining TFA figures even well after the series cancellation. I still see them selling at Wal-Mart, for example.

As I was explaining to a friend not 3 days ago, one of the major strengths of the Transformers franchise as a whole is its incredible variety. Don't like the current central line? Wait a little. We all know WFC/Prime is coming up soon and will be a central focus as the movie hype dies down. If they can more broadly market the video game to a general audience (by making a kickass game) they'll draw crossover buyers for the toys...same people who buy WoW figures and stuff.

- Coeloptera

4. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    ok, i shouldn't have said haters, but constantly no matter how many numbers have been said, there has been several fans that are complete assholes when it comes to movie toys, they say they do not sell and should just be done rid with....i am just happy there is proof that movie toy do sell, and i like almost any transformer toy line but i can't stand the fact that people bash a line that has helped the health of the transformers franchise more than any other.....and yea, the way it is worded it is clearly just talking about movie figures

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think the problem is that people just don't put it the same way you do.

Your point is spot on that the movie line doing well would indicate that the movie style figures have a very strong and very broad following. As you also point out very well this is an excellent argument for why the movie style figures should continue to be a part of Hasbro's mix. Something I totally agree with myself, any calls to just totally end the line are rather selfish of people because the movie style figures have lots of fans who really enjoy those figures.

I guess my point is that everything doesn't have to be something that has to be we showed that one group. Even when I say though that diversity is a good thing I get hammered just because yea I don't enjoy where the movies have been going. I defend that the movie style figures should be a part of the Transformers line up and boom I get hammered because I don't collect movie style figures myself.

The line did well and it gives Hasbro plenty of reasons to continue exploring that style of figures and even the hybrid figures, but it just seems like if you are the wrong messenger these days then people think you've got some evil alternative motive even when you point out that something is good.

6. Viking Spawn

Viking Spawn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Despite the negativity towards ROTF, it still continues to bring in the money. First the movie, then the DVD sales, and the toys! Not bad at all for a film that will probably sweep the Razzies. Who cares about Oscars if the winners can't bank in the profits.

7. Beastbot X

Beastbot X It's a hobby. Remember to have some perspective.

News Credits:
    They ARE clogging shelves completely at my local Wal-Mart. I work there and go 4-5 days a week, and I think we've sold maybe 5 TFs since the year started. (Not exaggerating.) But they can't keep Bakugan on the pegs. Heck, we've HAD both the Legends Devastator & Scout 2-pack exclusives in the back for almost a month now, but they're never put out because there's absolutely no shelf space for them.

Makes me so sad. :( 

8. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

That's because the toys are awesome on their own merit.

Granted, being connected to a big budget movie certainly helped the line, but I don't think the quality of the movie itself ever affected the toyline.

And thank Jeebus for that.

9. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    See. That's what I don't understand from your posts AfC. I agree diversity is good, but you usually complain that you aren't getting the diversity you desire.

Yet, from ams' post, it seems Transformers as a franchise brought in the big $ in 2009, and that probably includes Animated and Universe. How's that not a diverse offering?

And IMO Hasbro has taken notice, because 2010 seems to be headed the same way as 2009.

The only problem for me personally with this diversity, is that I like almost every TF line currently being developed/sold, and that's way expensive. During the Beast Wars years (remember that? ONLY Beast Wars/Machines from 97 to 99), collecting new figures was much cheaper. :D 

-airfox

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's tough to tell how well a line is doing from just one or two stores because toys are a bit odd in that they tend to be a regional thing. Some brands sell like crazy in one area, while the same toys will hardly move somewhere else.

The bright part about this report is that it takes all the guess work out of did the line do well or did the line do poorly.

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    This is great news, but I hope this doesn't mean Hasbro will end up abandoning other TF toylines.

12. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure if toy quality itself is the reason of the success.

We know the movie was a block block buster, and we also know that kids are 85% or more of the sales and do not read toy reviews or anything, so one could pretty much assume that the reason the toys did well is because of the bigass movie attached to it, not because "daaamn this leader prime sure is accurate!".

You pretty much got it with ATTACHED TO BIG BUDGET MOVIE, but the overall quality? As long as the packages got a movie vehicle inside people are game, without even knowing how the toy turned out.

13. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I'd probably be a bit more positive about ROTF toys if so many of the ones I'd bought hadn't been faulty out of the pack.

Another one today (Hightower) from the Constructicon Devastator legends set - broken from new.

It's so many in the last few month i've lost count 7, ? 12 ?, I forget but it's more faulty toys in the last few years from Hasbro (and even sometimes takara) than in all the previous years put together.

I only Had one Faulty TF Cybertron toy, No Faulty Energon ones, and one tiny leg fracture on Armada Hoist, going back further than that it's things like a machine wars jet with 2 left arms or gold plastic syndrome on a few things from the 80's & 90's.

But Classics, Universe, Movie 2007, & Movie 2009 toys have all had multiple broken parts from new - or just general bad product quality issues like scratches in Animated toys, rubbish paint quality, dust particles in the paint, sticky paint, pins hammered in crooked, not to mention loose or broken ball joint cups or parts that fall off (heads especially).

The terrible Product quality is just getting beyond a joke Hasbro's selling toys to retail that should have gone in the scraps bins.

I've lost count of the number of people who got a faulty Scalpel for example.

14. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    I think that at least some of this is true, but it's worth nothing that a LOT of "big budget movies" (even successful ones, which may be more to the point) have toylines connected to them that sell very poorly in stores.

I don't pretend to know what "other" quality helps the TF Movie toys, but I don't think that the "bigness" of the movie is the only important factor.

15. Railguard

Railguard Battalion Commander

Ebay:
    Now some of the toys are excellent but others are crap.

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ROTF toy sales are up %20 over the 2007 line. This completely validates my opinion, regardless of what it actually is. ;) 

17. Beastbot X

Beastbot X It's a hobby. Remember to have some perspective.

News Credits:
    Oh, I know. I mean, this report proves that. Just makes me (slightly) depressed is all when I walk by the TFs and it's practically the exact same, week after week.

18. cleazer

cleazer Lost in the lights

News Credits:
    This point is definitely worth repeating. Transformers movie toys (from both movies) have been FAR more successful than just about every other recent movie-toy line-up. Gigantic movies like Dark Knight, Spider-Man, and Avatar all moved a lot of toys, but they're nothing compared to Transformers.

The last Indiana Jones movie made a ton of money (similar to the first TF movie), but that toyline got completely killed. The Pirates movies have been uber-popular, but their toylines have all failed miserably in the action figure aisles.

What was the last line of movie toys to really break out? (Other than the ever-present and ever-popular Star Wars?) Maybe Iron Man performed pretty well.

I think most of us on this board can agree that Transformers toys are just plain cooler than almost all other toys.

I'm sure that this increase is pretty much entirely due to Hasbro just simply having more Transformers produced and ready to sell.

On the other hand, considering that 2009 was a far worse year for the economy in general, and sales of everything were supposed to be down, that type of increase is definitely something to be happy about.

19. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    To me :

TF1 fairly good movie - somewhat sucky toys
    ROTF fairly sucky movie - great toys

20. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So you're saying the statistics validate your opinion, whatever it may be? :D 

(nnnnnnnNNYOWWwwww...)