Transformers #9 (2019 -)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Issy543, Jul 17, 2019.

1. pluto

pluto Banned

I have extremely limited affection for the g1 cartoon but i will be damned if i let someone criticise its utterly dippy and delightful robo curse words. How very dare you.

• Like Like x 6
  2. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, leaking lubricants to you, too.

• Like Like x 6
  3. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I know it´s not the same timeline but it was weird seing a decepticon threaten freaking Sixshot of all people like that.

• Like Like x 2
  4. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, this is one part that I thought was impressive - very high functioning autistics (Aspergers, etc.) generally aren't immediately identifiable as being autistic and come across exactly like you said - like a weirdo. There's an entire spectrum of autism disorders. Because of my experience with high functioning autistics like this in the past, when I first read Geomotus (without knowing what Ruckley was going for), I wondered about whether they were trying to portray a high functioning autistic transformer (and the mention of "neurodivergent" nailed it for me). That's actually a *way* more nuanced and realistic expression of autism than the "Rain Man" stereotype. There hasn't been a lot that's impressed me about the new series other than
    a) the fact it seems to have stabilized the sales of IDW
    b) the passion and zeal of its defenders on these boards ;) 

but Geomotus' presentation definitely did for me.

• Like Like x 3
  5. pluto

pluto Banned

Thats the spark. Got my fuel lines all excited.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ProtectronPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah. I'm fairly acquainted with actual autism/Asperger's (I had an autistic boss once for about a year - talk about an unusual experience) to the point where I at least know not everything is "The Good Doctor" and "Rainman", but I had no idea that autism or something like it could manifest in a way similar to whatever Geomotus is displaying. So kudos to Ruckley in that arena.

Geomotus is a fine character, but he's not as any more or less developed than anyone else save Cyclonus (and perhaps Prowl just by exposure). Even taking out the autism angle, Geomotus is "the weird one"... and that's about all we got so far out of him. As much as some media pushes it, "autistic" isn't a substitute for character personality.

• Like Like x 2
  7. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Mmm yea. Geomantis needs time to develop as an character but not ne defined as being autistic. I think autism is hard to pinpoint because it manifests so many ways. Some of the forums believe Prowl can be autistic.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

Huh, I made a case in one of the previous threads that this version of Prowl could be interpreted as autistic based on what we've seen of him so far.

I didn't know others had made similar cases.

9. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It shows up in some of the fanfiction.

10. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    i know this doesn't have anything to do with issue 9, but a thought just occured to me. does anyone think that bumblebee joining the ascenticons might be a con job. he met with orion earlier in the series and we never found out what the meeting was about, and this was prior to him joining up with the ascenticons. wasnt his original function espianoge? what if he is really keeping tabs on megatron for orion?

• Like Like x 4
  11. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    That is a completely plausible development that I believe could definitely happen in this comic. It would make sense, too, and I love Bumblebee’s espionage function being put to good use. It was an aspect of his tech spec that has been criminally underused by all modern incarnations of the character.

Despite that, I’m not sure if I would prefer it to happen, just because I like the motivations and choices Bumblebee has made, and making these aspects of him a part of him just doing his job then it kind of erases a large part of his development thus far.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Maybe he took the mission because pax shared his doubts about megatrons growing extremism, like rubbles death could still be part of his motivation. In my mind maybe pax shared concerns that the ascenticons were tied to the rise, maybe bee initially refused but after rubbles death he accepted the mission as a means of finding out the truth. Granted I also feel like it’s gonna come out that elita is a spy as well

• Like Like x 2
  13. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    I think you're on to something here. Bumblebee is the Autobot's CHIEF OF INTELLIGENCE in his bio. (Jazz is more like their top black-ops agent) ... what would a top intel agent, i.e. a SPYMASTER, have to do in the process of reaching that point? I 100% think he's going deep cover. Even the Spaghetti Incident leading to his "expulsion" from Security ties into that. Being "expelled" is a great cover story and the persona of a jaded person who's disillusioned with the status quo is a classic backstory of a government infiltrator. Bumblebee has been an Autobot the whole time.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Thumbaticon

Thumbaticon "It's all right, I'm an emergency vehicle!"

That would be pretty cool if one of them was a spy, it would also give orion something to actually do after #6 when he talked to codexa about doing something drastic. I'd prefer if it were Elita, since she has a higher rank she'd probably be more involved in whatever the ascenticons are planning.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ProtectronPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it would be awesome if they were ALL spies and the Ascenticon movement is just this elaborate stage play put on just to troll Megatron. The series would end at issue 12 with Megatron sitting in a looney bin yelling at "Starscream", who is really just his left hand painted blue and white with construction paper wings on it while Froid pronounces him incurable.

• Like Like x 5
  16. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Don’t call me a member thank you very much.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Reading all the theories I am suddenly finding myself with a distinct aversion to lots of “gotcha” style twist-plot reveals. Like too much chocolate, I feel like it can probably make you feel sick.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TeamOptimus

TeamOptimus Well-Known Member

After reading these nine issues I’m starting to wonder if that senator robot Megatron might be part of the Rise? There’s a possibility that he could be a minor villain too in addition to Quake but I’m not sure. At first I didn’t think Megatron could be a villain because he was a respected senator and he even told Orion’s Pax that he didn’t want violence but what if that’s a lie? It would be an A+ move from Brian Ruckley if Megatron turned bad.

• Like Like x 4
  18. ProtectronPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    From his style, I suspect Ruckley's not about the twist plots and more about long, winding storylines. At best I think there'll be one big plot reveal at most and nothing as deranged as "A Shockwave Did It".

• Like Like x 9
  19. NanakoPreame

NanakoPreame Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Cool, sometimes a story needs to go at a slow pace.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Nelomaxwell

Nelomaxwell I gave you power

I'm liking this now. It's finally hit a groove.

• Like Like x 1