Transformers #8 (2019 -)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Issy543, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    That was IDW1 Prowl’s best point. He’s not a good guy but he was so good to read. I was hooked and looked forward each month to see what dastardly thing he would do next. IDW2 Prowl is just dull to me. We have so many squeaky clean good guys already, an amoral POS good guy is just far more interesting.

2. Stormragetron

Stormragetron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cyclonus certainly knows how to make an entrance . He has been my favourite character so far in this story .

Was a nice surprise to see Flamewar and Shadowstriker too .

Overall , i enjoyed this issue .

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lyss

Lyss Member

Loved the focus on Cyclonus in this issue! He's definitely my fav character in the series so far--between his talking ghost guys, his destroying his comms because people kept trying to talk to him, and the intriguing hints of backstory we've gotten for him so far, he's the perfect mix of humor and mystery for me :D . PLus I really liked the artist who drew him at the beginning of the issue--twas purdy <3

Also excited that we're starting to see some plotting and scheming from Megaton!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lionheart

Lionheart Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The book literally just started. It's only eight issues in and the war hasn't even kicked off. IDW1 Prowl didn't start off as a pragmatic bastard from issue one, he was just a very "by-the-book" kind of guy. It really wasn't until Last Stand where Prowl received the new personality as a manipulating "genius" that many enjoyed. Later writers like James wrote flashbacks to help establish that Prowl was totally, always a cold pragmatist but if you look at the continuity as a whole, not just starting from phase 2, Prowl is a super inconsistent character because of this...
    Anyhow, this Prowl is a rookie and his character arc has just begun, there is plenty of time to grow into a character who's a bastard. That being said, I am anticipating something new and hope that he doesn't just become IDW1 Prowl. I'm hoping for a Prowl who can turn the tables in the Autobots favor in seemingly bleak situations, I want a genius tactician who takes risks that actually payoff, Not another madman whose sloppy strategies constantly have to be sweeped under the rug by the Wreckers. I still really like IDW1 Prowl by the way, I just think he was written like an idiot but that will always be more on the writers trying to shock the reader by making Prowl take incredibly stupid and pointlessly evil actions when there were always smarter alternatives to accomplishing the goal.
    EDIT:
    Oh and most importantly, I hope he remains good. He doesn't have to be a bucket of sunshine, just that his spark is in the right place even when he's making tough decisions.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  5. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    But we’re coming on the back of the previous book. When a publisher loses its license or goes out of business, it’s expected. But we go from a wild fast ride with the previous continuity to a slow tiptoe here. Ending the continuity is one thing, but reducing the pace we had become accustomed to is hurting the book for me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It’s also an entirely different writing team. Pacing changed between Furman and McCarthy and between McCarthy and costa and again between costa and Roberts/barber. To hold ruckley to the same expectations as the previous writers is asking for disappointment

• Like Like x 5
  7. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I’m already disappointed. We were in Stormbringer at this point in IDW1. The plot should not still be wandering aimlessly without direction or purpose this slowly.

I am thankful they’re being released at a rate of two per month. I’d hate for it only to be released once a month.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Again, two completely different writing styles. Early idw1.0 was all miniseries that had to have a condensed plot, an ongoing shouldn’t be expected to deliver a complete story in 4-6 issues since its an ongoing story

• Like Like x 4
  9. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    And it suffers for it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TeamOptimus

TeamOptimus Well-Known Member

Do you think this story would be better if it didn’t switch between so many different characters? Why not pick a bot (let’s say Bumblebee) and just follow them for the first arc?

11. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Then people would complain that there’s too much focus on specific characters. Honestly people are always going to find something to complain about

• Like Like x 10
  12. TeamOptimus

TeamOptimus Well-Known Member

I actually wouldn’t complain about that at all. It would make the story ten times better for me because you’d actually have a focus character and see Cybertron through their day to day life, as well as slowly introduce the major players instead of smash cutting to awkward scenes with random characters every other page.

This comic simultaneously has a lot going on, and also nothing.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    People tend to complain about paying money and receiving s*** in return, yes.

I didn’t like all of IDW1 either and I complained when writing quality dropped below expected standards. And no, it being a different writer responsible doesn’t give them a pass.

• Like Like x 4
  14. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He is using the CW design, same blocky shoulders and Silverbolt parts...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    did i say it gives them a pass? no. what i said is that your expectations should be managed better and this new writer shouldnt be expected to write the same way as the previous writers

• Like Like x 3
  16. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    Another point on support of yours is that just because X person doesn't like chocolate doesn't mean that chocolate is garbage.

There's apparently some people that like the way this story is going, pacing and all.

• Like Like x 12
  17. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Tonight the streets are ours

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    This is the internet damn it, stop it with your pragmatic, sensible posts.

• Like Like x 10
  18. misfire19d

misfire19d Geewunner with some cash to buy toys

Whoah. People don’t like garbage because it’s garbage. That’s a heck of a non sequitur you tried to pull there.

You can go ahead and think it’s chocolate. Ya know? The “you do you” shtick you like so much.

Some people think it’s garbage and some people like it. Fine. Whatever.

I bought this issue and now I really am sure they’re watering down the amount of content for $4 an issue. They’re trying to bilk Transformers comic fans out of $4 for what should be no more than $2 of content.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Rockdown

Rockdown Persecutor in chief

Ebay:
    Repugus is that bot.

• Like Like x 3
  20. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I guess us wondering about how they will write Flamewar last issue, the answer is "impulsive idiot rookie". Also wonder why a society this advanced uses non-wireless communicators

He started out nice, but then he went into,as you say, self-serving . Prowl shouldn't be about that, or his ego - he should be about serving the Autobot cause, no matter how dirty the means. He was great under Furman and Roche who remembered this, that Prowl may be a prick but he cares nothing for credit and does things he knows are needed in a war but leaders are too squeamish to order. Then sadly Barber turned him into an ineffective joke enamored with his own importance. So I both like and dislike IDW Prowl, based on who wrote him. Same for Shockwave, really .
    Truer words have never been spoken
    I guess I am behind in the news, so what, comics are shorter now, cost 8$ and are released twice a month? Odd I thought the reboot started in 2018 december and we are in july, to me that seems one per month.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 2