Transformers #8 (2019 -)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Issy543, Jul 3, 2019.

1. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    I don't think we're on the same page here.

1) Boredom or frustration of purpose is driving colony war veterans. These veterans are presented as individuals that have grown accustomed to or addicted to violence. One of the underlying issues is Cybertron's unwillingness or inability to provide them with adequate social services to deal with them. With nothing to do and nowhere to go to deal with their problem, they've turned to the Ascenticon movement which is pro expansion, which will no doubt put them back out towards the colonies.

2) The oppressive regulation of the regime currently running Cybertron is stifling the society's apparent natural need to explore, which is making some of the non-veteran people angry. The world is stagnant and being told what to do, where to go, how to do it, etc. is apparently enough to piss off some of the remaining people on the planet.

Speculation on various ways to alleviate "boredom" notwithstanding, there's some details you missed. First, there are "hundreds" missing, not "thousands" or "millions". This is a minority movement, unless Cybertron has a REALLY tiny population. So yes, your statement stands that perhaps many people are finding other, non-violent ways to cope. But that's the nature of a radical movement - it's usually a small, galvanized group of individuals that generally do the most moving and shaking.

Froid may be an unreliable narrator, but this is the opening arc. It would make little narrative sense for Froid to be "wrong" when the author is trying to set up how this new iteration of Transformers works. In other words, what narrative sense or purpose is served by Froid providing misinformation to the reader?

With all due respect, I get the feeling that you want this story to be about a particular thing, which is fine. It's your right to be unsatisfied with the explanations and/or motives provided on its face. However, dissatisfaction with the state of existence absent class struggle is real and usually originates in issues of ideology which closely matches the narrative provided by Froid as opposed to some other reasoning.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Tonight the streets are ours

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    The world building is starting to pay off now. Rather an entertaining issue. The dialogue has more about it now. Definitely moving in the right direction.

• Like Like x 8
  3. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    IDW1 has been the best Prowl we’ve ever had. A self-serving morally ambiguous Autobot willing to do anything it takes as long as the ends justify the means.

Ruckley’s Prowl is a poor generic in comparison. After how interesting and fascinating it has been to dine on the multi-faceted IDW1 Prowl, Ruckley’s Prowl is like eating cardboard. I’m not seeing what there is to like about Prowl here. Even the Sunbow cartoon had a more interesting Prowl.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    maybe people want good guys that are amoral pieces of crap?

• Like Like x 11
  5. Issy543

Issy543 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Some more thoughts I have on this issue:

• If Cyclops joins the Decepticons, it’ll be interesting to see how, but it’ll also be a bit sad; he seems like he’s a good person.
    • Shadow Striker’s design fits nicely in this comic book series, and she has five fingers here...which is nice.
    • I’m wondering what happened to Prya Magna?
    • One thing I found weird is that as soon as Chromia sees Cyclonus, she leaves Froid, in order to help him. I found that somewhat funny.
    • Froid is saying (if I’ve understood this correctly) that under Autobot law, some feel restricted, and want to do more?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Issy543

Issy543 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I’ll agree that I’m finding this Prowl to be a likeable character, who could be misunderstood by others. He’s not turned evil at least...

• Like Like x 7
  7. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just read it. The series is getting better, but damn it’s still such a fast read.

Also the next cover shows that Sentinel will have his Titans Return body.

• Like Like x 5
  8. FrozenFishLurker

FrozenFishLurker Watching & Waiting needs to lurk moar

FINALLY a fight dear lord cyclonus is a badass
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  9. TeamOptimus

TeamOptimus Well-Known Member

Umm.just my personal opinion. I can’t stand the other version of Prowl.

There was an issue where Rubble’s death was clearly weighing on him and it was a good character moment (and didn’t require 50 dialogue bubbles of exposition like most other things in the comic).

• Like Like x 4
  10. TeamOptimus

Isn’t boredom why Megatron started the war in one of the comics? Might be Marvel where he was like “Blehhh boring PEACE and stagnation.”

• Like Like x 3
  11. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    Kinda, yeah. Just raw ambition, mostly, which probably can be boiled down to "bored with his lot in life".

• Like Like x 2
  12. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

News Credits:
    You can try and say that. But it was only last issue, and nothing that came out of Prowl's mouth had anything to do with mourning Rubble. In fact, all that he ever said about it was about how he wished he could have found the Voin earlier. That's it. That was all. So, no. Rubble's death has had zero effect on him that we as readers can interpret as a change of depth in his character.

This Prowl is still as weak as any version of him except IDW1.0.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

That's not actually true.

Chromia: "It's not your fault."
    Prowl: "I know. Doesn't change the fact I was too slow to find that voin. Doesn't change the fact whoever did this is going wish I'd been a lot slower to find them."

The third sentence implies that he took Rubble's death hard.

I do still agree with you on this, because we didn't see enough of Prowl before Rubble's death to really get a feel of what he's like, for example, when dealing with suspects or witnesses. We know what Chromia and Windblade are like, but not Prowl.

Prowl may have changed because of Rubble's death but we may not notice in what ways because we haven't really spent enough time with him to know what he's like on all fronts, so to speak.

(I haven't read this issue yet so my opinion may be subject to change.)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
  14. TeamOptimus

Yeah, thinking back to issue 6, that seems like this version of Megatron. He’s tired of Cybertron’s potential being limited
    That’s why I liked the scene. It was mostly in his facial expressions/mannerisms and the few things he said about the situation that made it a surprisingly good character moment. Something was subtle and tragic and I bet it will still effect him going forward.

15. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

News Credits:
    Not overly, no. I know it's meant to be taken that way and all? But given how his only remark is about the Voin- something he had focused on for most of his character so far- I never once took him to be talking about Rubble, avenging Rubble, being sad about Rubble, anything about Rubble. Given his only currently-known history in this story so far, it honestly just seems like he's still miffed he hasn't solved a mystery yet and he's mad at the perpetrator for keeping him hanging this long. Which I would honestly prefer. Because Rubble was a waste of 6 issues.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TranslucentBag

TranslucentBag Definitively "Graph Guy"

Ebay:
    Hmm, I know some folks are bored with the lack of action in this comic but if the combat in the first few pages are indicative of the fighting that will take place, I want them to stick with the talking. Indeed I actually enjoyed the discussion and further world building taking place such as Megs checking up to see if the Asenticon founder would pose a problem to his plans. The discussion of Cybertronians getting antsy was good too. It has echoes of God Emperor of Dune where forced stagnation results in an eventual explosion of development and travel throughout the universe. I feel like the writers have definitely been influenced by the Golden Path.
    However again this book badly needs more editorial oversight especially when it comes to action scenes. That initial combat was nearly incomprehensible. It moves from a panel showing Cyclonus on top of Flame War's back, elbowing her face into the ground to the very next one showing her on her back with him standing over her. What just happened? Did we miss a frame? Then on page 9 he is shooting at Shadow Striker who is presumably running for cover...only to have the very next frame depicting Shadow Striker standing still in a cloud of dust--which I guess is caused by Cyclonus's gun? But there's no indication that he even intended that to happen, outside of her voicing it--so why would she have stopped. So Cyclonus just stopped shooting at a target that stood stationary? What is even going on? It would have been better to have Shadow Striker dive behind cover, waiting for further gunfire, which never comes, and then peak over the edge debris or wall or whatever she's behind. But instead she is just shown standing in the open. It doesn't make any sense, unless she knew something that the audience has no idea how the character could have known.
    I think an editor is needed to tell the writers that they need to storyboard this better. The combat feels like a little kid bashing their toys together to get them to "fight."

• Like Like x 8
  17. TeamOptimus

Tbh I wish they gave Brian Ruckley an actual Transformers book. He would’ve been a really good choice for a prequel because he could’ve fleshed out all of the dense politics, past Wars, different factions and spent chapters on getting inside of Megatron and Orion’s heads, as well as develop the mystery plot with Prowl and Chromia a lot more. And we could’ve seen detailed descriptions of this pretty interesting version of Cybertron with the organic mixed with mechanical and the weird locations. This story is WASTED in comic book form.

• Like Like x 8
  18. Lionheart

Lionheart Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That and I mean, Rubble wasn't his kid. It's a typical characteristic of detectives and such to be callous, not heartless, just callous. He does think it's a shame that the kids life was cut short at the very least.

• Like Like x 2
  19. rikkomba

rikkomba Fishmonger Supreme of TFW2005

Strong issue. I got to the point where I just skipped the central pages with Bumblingbee, but the rest was great. Cyclonus' banter is a mini-Lost Light by itself.
    I am considering "Opening the arsenal" as the official start of the civil war. We'll see.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  20. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Tonight the streets are ours

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I certainly feel like Nick Roche’s Prowl is my personal all time favourite version of the character at the moment. I was not a fan of what either James or John did with him at times tbh.

But I am enjoying this new “talented investigator with repressed sense of anger/injustice” style approach as well. Just my feeling about the character. I don’t think it’s a black and white love/hate, either/or with this and the continuity that came before.

• Like Like x 10