Transformers 5 Hot Rod revealed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by badbot98, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That doesn't make it right.. Does it? Nope. It doesn't.

2. ZEGR

ZEGR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If the name wasnt written on the bottom of the pic we would have no idea who this character is supposed to be...Really was it that hard to include some unique to the character details so we can actually tell who the fuck he is?As generic and umimaginative as they could possibly be..ugh.

3. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Ironhide and even Ratchet's movie designs were quite striking and stood out.

Same for Blackout, Starscream and so on.

This just looks bland and uninteresting, Hot Rod or not.

I don't think anyone would really get excited for this if it was posted as a nameless characters.

4. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Hey look! It's TF5 stealth attack Bumblebee! Except they got the non black parts too red, should be more yellow, bit anyway. I knew they wouldn't get through the 5th film without a black Bumblebee, it's just interesting they've actually made the call to incorporate it directly into the movie instead of just the standard cash grab repaint. This fact might actually make the stealth attack BBs more attractive and they won't shelf warm as much, Bravo Hasbro! Bravo, you finally did something right with a Bumblebee repaint for once! Maybe even better this put this stealth repaint out as the only version! Imagine the uproar that might.. not cause, but it would make for an interesting change. I wonder if they are going to go with Satan's hubcaps for Bee's weapons again. Personally I'll never understand why they don't just give him a gun that shoots cyberbees ala BW Skoprinok, that could be a decently fun gimmick if pulled off well.

5. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    I wasn't going to watch the film anyway so it's not like I cared, but what is is with the Bay Films just... not getting it?

If a name hadn't been given to this thing I wouldn't have known it was Hot Rod from a hole in my head. It just looks like a Bumble Bee redesign. There is NOTHING that distinguishes it in any form, which is amazing considering the bot it's meant to be has some of the most unique attributes in the franchise.

6. GuardianPrime19

GuardianPrime19 Prime

News Credits:
    But is this G1? No. People like that make me sick G1 has been over for over 3 decades! Just let it freaking go! You aren't going to see your 100% geewun designs ever so why do you even complain about it? Hell the original toys looked nothing like the cartoon? So why do people complain when anything looks different. Things change, you have to realise by now that the movies aren't G1 none of the TV shows are gonna be G1 and that its all different!

7. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I like it, so long as the toy isn't a repaint of Bumblebee. I can accept the movie designs (at times), and think the changes they made for Ironhide and Ratchet actually worked. With as little plot development as there was, I was surprised how I actually cared that Ratchet was killed off in TF4, and Leader Class Ironhide is by far one of my favorite movie figures.

8. ok0rdib

ok0rdib Member

Haha, kinda reminds me of Boushh from Star Wars! Also not sure if this has been mentioned, but I'm pretty sure Hot Rod's alt-mode is a Lamborghini Huracan. As for the design, I can't say I'm thrilled with it. Hot Rod has always been a fairly interesting looking character, this just looks generic.

What does that have to do with Transformers?

Also, Rotten Tomatoes is a pretty shitty aggregate website to be honest. The system leaves no room for nuance, and characterizes everything in black and white. A good chunk of reviews that are labeled Rotten are actually mixed to positive, because the system doesn't account for mixed to indifferent reviews. It's a very poor system, Metacritic's system is considerably more advanced/intelligent, but also has it's flaws.

Then again people could form their own opinions on things based on their own personal experience, but unfortunately not all people are thoughtful enough to do that. It's much easier to plug into the Internet hive-mind and have someone else tell you how you should feel about something.

9. philby

philby Well-Known Member

i know lol
    eehh whatever, i mean i want to be annoyed and all but what's the point? the people making the movies just don't care. :(  it just seems rude that they want to cash in on established and known character names, but a lot of the time don't do anything with the design and look to pay respect to it. just make up new characters!

10. Tcmjuk87

Tcmjuk87 Well-Known Member

Wildrider is looking good. Does that mean the rest of the Stunticons are in this?

(sarcasm)

11. The Ramjet

The Ramjet Get. Out.

Jesus, as much as I usually love the movie designs this is extremely generic for a character like Hot Rod, and the lack of vibrant colors on him is boring as hell.

12. gorba

gorba Active Member

13. joetele

joetele Non-entity

It kind of looks like one of the Decepticon drones seen in ROTF, DOTM and AoE on Lockdown's ship when he's talking to Kelsey Grammer.

It's a shame that, when Marvel movies are basically taking designs from the comics and putting them on screen (Thor being a particularly good starting point for how brave they were being), the TF movies are still unwilling to really make their designs evoke anything from the years of source material.

I'm not surprised of course, just recognising the sad inevitability of it. I know that Bay cherry-picks character names and concepts from TF history without really making use of the background behind them. The movies themselves don't really delve into characterisation either way.

Oh well. Maybe in a few decades time there might be something a bit more 'Transformers-y' in live action form.

14. gigtigre

gigtigre Well-Known Member

Yes it seems pretty generic for a design. It reminds me of something that should have been in Pacific Rim.

I'm still horrified by the font they decided to use for this film. Seems something from Disney.

15. Burnout00012

Burnout00012 SKREEEEEEEOONK

Keep in mind this is a rough CGI rendering, not a final product

That said, fuck yeah! Hot Rod looks fantastic!

16. figsdad

figsdad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Indeed remember they can add more colour to it and maybe Tweak the face..

Like in teaser trailer with Sentinal Prime that was gold and ended up red..

17. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

He looks more like a Bayverse version of Wildrider.

18. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll buy the deluxe (subject to quality) but that is one dull colour palette for a guy named Hot Rod. Or for a guy who's supposed to be selling toys to young kids. Or distinguishable from the sea of grey that is the enemy side.
    I can tell he turns into a car so I'll give him that over some of the AOE designs. Nothing particularly special, but good enough for me (above aside).

19. maxxzander

maxxzander Banned

megatron without fusion canon, optimus without window chest, hotrod without his iconic wings on his back.... fuck u bay! just fuck u !

20. GuardianPrime19

GuardianPrime19 Prime

News Credits:
    Hot rod has wings on his back though...