Transformers #40

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Murasame, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

That is a great summation of Prowl. A large part of Prowl's problems come from the fact that he never really thinks about how his actions could have horribly negative effects themselves. Chromedome noted that shortly before throwing Prowl off a cliff.

Optimus is at heart a Cincinattus type. He'd really much rather give up the power he was given in a crisis to go back to what he was doing. Problem is now he really needs to learn to be a great statesman. And a politician. Though he did steal a march on Starscream by getting the civilian council reinstated.

2. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    With Whirl as an option, Mirage must feel pretty offended.

3. Stygimoloch

Stygimoloch Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's not that hard to believe Dark Cybertron wasn't the best PR for the Autobots, given that A) The greatest mass murderer of all time joined their side, B) a lot of neutrals and Decepticons helped defeat Shockwave, and C) Whirl kind of opened the door for the Minicon guys to join up with Shockwave. I don't know if that last bit has been disclosed, but there you have it.

As we saw in issue 29, Starscream is a very, very good politician. Furthermore, a lot of the NAILs weren't around to see the 'cons at their worst. Sure, Starscream had a reputation, but none of the NAILs have actually seen that since returning to Cybertron. These facts, coupled with him being "chosen" by the Metrotitan, have given him a good degree of power. I buy it.

That... sounds completely plausible. I'd like to see this become canon.

How is that not evil? If the ends justify the means, then Prowl is going to do whatever he can to prevent an unfavorable ends. And that's what he's done! If he truly did set Impactor up on Pova, that's evil! He put civilians directly in the line of fire on Earth. I don't care how clever you are, that is wrong. He knowingly put a dangerous war criminal in restraints that were clearly not up to snuff, tried to blackmail his ex, and then refuses to take accountability for any of that! Like it's just a walk in the park for him!

But 6 years? Fort Max may have went full froot loop, but dude's got a point. And just because the line is blurred doesn't mean it's not there. And Prowl doesn't seem to give a shit about the line.

Good point. Starscream is a hypocrite, that's not to be unexpected. But the NAILs were around to see Starscream chosen by the Titan. None of them were around to see the numerous feats that Optimus performed using the Matrix.

I don't think he acted douchey. He disagrees with her, and he's allowed to. I didn't see him refer to her with anything but respect and dignity. Nobody wants the theocratic monarchy back, especially Prime. He values the lives of others over his position. I don't see how that can be interpreted as anything but noble. He bent over backwards for the humans because they were on Earth, where things had not gone well at all last time they were there. And, he didn't go with an political directive in mind. It was "Get in, get A3, get out."

The Mistress of Flame is probably being set up as an antagonist. I'm gonna keep that in mind.

As I said, I liked this issue's art better than I had any previous Livio art. Now I can't stand Rojo. Just bland. I agree, bad art does detract from the story, but I'm just saying I didn't think Livio's art was the absolute worst, and that he is improving. There's more variation in lighting, and some of his panels actually have clearly defined lines.

It's a subjective thing, I suppose.

4. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably the difference one is medical stasis lock for a week. If MMirage was concious he would be affended.

5. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I loved the news commentary running across the bottom.

6. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

On the politics, Prowl vs Prime vs Starscream in a three-way match seemed to be what it was promising me, and that has me very interested ^^

I also like how Optimus very actively framed the conversation to cut off Starscream while still ostensibly supporting him. While not obviously hostile, he's showing his own savvy here, even if he doesn't like it. For all that he was 'standing with Starscream' this issue, make no mistake, he was dominating politically. Council, not Empire. Not being bound by Caminus's expectations. Pre-empting pretty much everyone.

Also, the Mistress of Flame and Yellow/Red Leader seeming a bit out of it was interesting. Looking forward to Windblade going into things there.

7. SavedTabs

SavedTabs Active Member

News Credits:
    I love Prowl, but I tend to see him as more of a villain protagonist than a hero.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

I don't know if Prowl is planning to be very political this time...

I imagine Starscream isn't fond of Cityspeakers. Remember one of the big things that let him get where he is was the Metrotitan's endorsement. Metroplex or Caminus decide to disavow Starscream, at least some of his support is gone.

9. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Oh yea, good point. Almost seems like he's going to come in and start smashing...

Prime being the politico, Prowl being the bot of action is a bit of a switch.

Yea, though the Titans *rarely* talk, and the Crystal Titan was a dying proclamation.

Heck, Omega Supreme just gave a 'no comment,' and his words carry a ton of weight as well.

10. Quizzical Xenon

Quizzical Xenon Why do I need a title?

Out of the 200-300 Autobots Rodimus has on the Lost Light, he decides to Mirage to Cybertron? Why? Just, why? He has Crosscut and Xaaron on board. He could've sent either one of those, but he decides to send an unstable, unconscious guy to be an ambassador. Why? I don't even care if they decide to make Mirage a former senator or a plot device, he's totally useless.

11. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mirage is going to be a combiner plus his political sponsors are known as Habro.

12. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I had very mixed feelings about this issue. Loved the general progression, the news bits at the bottom of the page, the throwback to Mirage, and Prime finally getting the upper hand by duping Starscream with a Camian/Cybertronian council.

Cons: Art could be improved in some places, Prime backed down to Windblade (did he really tell her he doesn't lie?), Prime seemed a little aimless by first walking through the spacebridge only to move some rocks then come back, and the art portraying Prowl as more sinister than I think he really is. I don't have the book in front of me, but some dialogue points were very awkward.

13. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

So Prowl wants the cybertronian race to wither and die?

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I think the thing that will be the worst thing to happen to him is that his pride will be tarnished, as in becoming a member of Optimus Maximus.

15. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

One of the things I *think* I remember is that The Matrix doesn't mesh with Optimus like it does with others. Optimus asked Roddimus how it felt when he had The Matrix, and Roddimus said it felt wonderful, which appeared to be in contrast with Optimus' experience with it.

So it doesn't surprise me that Optimus wants to downplay his own "divinity" as a Matrix bearer. His own experience with it has been more of a burden, rather than a wonderful feel-good time.

I liked parts of this book. I too kinda scratched my head at the inclusion of Mirage after so long with no mention, but hey, it's to sell his CW toy, so whatever.

16. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A bit of a dull issue, but with some small gems here and there. Certainly never thought I'd see Spotlight: Mirage referenced again.

Some oddities and thoughts...

1) First Aid refers to Mirage as a friend, in a way that suggests a good friend. I don't think we've ever seen the two of them on camera together before?

2) I realize that Hasbro has Autobot-painted Stunticons to sell, but seriously? Crosscut or Xaaron would have been much more appropriate representatives. Or even Rung. Make one of them the rep and have Mirage along as extra security, since he's got the invisibility thing.

2) How long has Rattrap been working for Prowl? This seems at odds with his semi-villainous, out for number one characterization. Especially since he's done quite a bit for Starscream that I can't imagine Prowl would have approved of.

3) What is Prowl's ultimate goal/endgame? Does he want to wipe the Decepticons out to a man? At what point does Prowl say, "I will fight no more"?

--as a side note, someone mentioned Prowl and Impactor and the death of Squadron X. I'd wager Prowl told Impactor that they had to let them go because he knew Impactor would kill them. And then was content to throw him away after he'd served his purpose.

17. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not remotely a far stretch to suppose that Rattrap has always been working for Prowl.

He's an Autobot, his morals are fairly questionable, he sought Starscream out with a whole big plan to ingratiate himself to him, and he hasn't really ever allowed Starscream to accomplish anything that he couldn't have on his own.

18. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I don't think so, but there's tons of off-panel time for it to happen. Like, millions of years of it!

19. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Is he the representative, or just going back because he's sick?

And he is a fairly high ranked Autobot, he's been on Prime's team a lot.

20. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

^This.

And I really like this twist. This kind of scheming is very Prowl.

I think Starscream is in for the trouble.