Transformers 4 Will Happen with or Without Michael Bay?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by rich_prime, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Transfrom 114

Transfrom 114 Mattimus

There should never a transformers 4
    Unless its a prequel like X Men Origins: Wolverine
    DOTM Looks like the big finale, so whats the point?

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Just to flip the usual arguments around a bit why do people think things will be better as is with a different creative team?

They tried a different creative team with The Mummy 3 and it came out as a horrible mess. Other directors and teams tried to be Tim Burton and ouch some of those Batman films were tough to watch.

Some franchises have successfully handed off the directors chair to another director. The James Bond films have done well with a variety of directors and the Harry Potter films have changed directors to change the tone as the characters have gotten older. But is there another director who can do the Bay thing without making it a mess?

3. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

I just wanted to add, whether the next film is a a sequel or reboot, I hope the finally bring back Welker for Megatron doing his updated take on the voice. It'd be nice to see him and Cullen going at it in a live-action setting before its too late.

4. AnithaPrime

AnithaPrime TURDUKEN

ditto

5. AnithaPrime

AnithaPrime TURDUKEN

i hope they don't make the 3rd movie so epic the there isn't anything good to pull out for the 4th one

6. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Gotta disagree there. Those Mummy movies were already horrible. I didn't find Mummy 3 noticeably worse, and I at least liked the visuals better. I find the Schumacher Batman films quite distinct different from Burton's. More flamboyant and colourful. I didn't feel he was trying to be Tim Burton. The Nolan films also drew somewhat from the Burton films, but they play it straight and are very much their own thing.

Other than that, I agree. Things won't automatically get better with Bay out of the picture. It could go either way. Personally speaking I find Bay's bad points are just so off-putting, that even if we just get a thoroughly mediocre film, I might like it better regardless.

That is just an excuse. Ironman was also made with an incomplete script.

http://io9.com/#!5417310/jeff-bridges-admits-iron-man-movie-had-no-script

They mostly had an outline. But it was obviously an outline that worked. ROTF's failings were structural. It wasn't improvised dialogue that made it bad, it was a storyline that failed on the most basic level.

7. AONIa

AONIa Autobot Junior Officer

I guess it's not impossible... Star Wars was only intended to be three movies.
    But then again, that was sorta because people liked Star Wars better than the TF movies...
    However, there's nothing wrong with more movies IMO.

8. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    Bay's doing it as the final film, so guaranteed they're pulling out all the stops for this one. I think they're going for the "grand finale" of the Transformers films.

It's possible they'll try and do something with Unicron if they continue this series on... but DOTM is being treated by everyone involved with it as the last.

9. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Good God man, what on Earth Mr.Bay did to you? The First Movie wasn't bad [it was freaking awesome to me, but even if you don't like the movie, it was a good try], it made a story about freaking alien robots who turn into cars beliavable into the big screen, so why hate him SO MUCH? The Guy even admitted that ROTF was a mess, it takes balls to admit that your own movie sucked.

This techinique of "half-made" script works sometimes [Iron Man], sometimes not [ROTF], this can be seen with Iron Man 2, where they tried to pull out the same trick but it backfired [not necessairly making the film worse than Iron Man 1, but somewhat less original].

Besides, some Directors work better with a improvised script, some directors DON'T.

10. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    There's a considerable difference between a movie with gaps in the script for the actors to just wing it, and a movie they didn't get to finish writing.

11. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I'd definately want them to keep the franchise instead of rebooting it, theres still a lot of things that can be done and stories to be told before rebooting. If it goes on with Michael Bay on board it would be perfect, but maybe he can become a producer and have another director (say JJ Abrams).

Those who scream for a reboot are the ones that hate Michael Bay and are on the minority.

12. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    It's not a matter of hating Michael Bay. I don't hate. It's not in my emotional vocabulary. I just want him to stop doing Transformers so someone else can.

Personally speaking he's just not my cup of tea. What can I say?

It's the same reason I'd take a really bad Smashing Pumpkins album over the best Linkin Park album ever. Just a matter of personal taste.

13. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

Remember that the Harry potter and James bond movies have books as a guiding light, while Transformers is an adaptation of a whole mythology not one source. Books are generally easier to adapt cause it's basically the script

I could see that happening if the actually blew the lower half or megatrons face off like IDW Bludgeons, Welkers Megatron clearly does not fit this megatrons body or Personality,nothing wrong with weavings voice, his delivery is excellent

14. VokVisitor

VokVisitor Artist

Bay doesn't want to do another one, the actors don't want to do another one, trilogies are compact and elegant storytelling tools while quadrilogies are awkward and dumb, the current "movieverse" is kind of running on empty, creatively anyhow. They shouldn't continue this storyline.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see Transformers movies get made every couple of years from now until the end of time, but I think that most of these movies should be reboots. Franchises are always stronger when fresh artists and "new blood" can come in and put a new spin on things. Hasbro should diversify the different styles and universes featured in the movies the same way that the TV shows, comics, and toylines have been diversified.

There are all sorts of spins that it could take: Let's have a Transformers movie that's very Japanese, let's have one with an "Iron Giant" feeling to it, let's have one that's a throwback to the 80's in as many ways as possible, let's have one that goes crazy with the hard sci-fi alien nanotechnology, let's have one that's philosophical, let's have one that's stop-motion, let's have one that's a direct comedy and one that's deadly serious all the time. A mockumentary! A space-opera! Hasbro+Producers: Don't beat a dead stylistic horse and don't try to compromise on one style - Diversify!

Isn't that what Transformers is about anyway? Changing form?

15. VokVisitor

VokVisitor Artist

The creative team on the third and fourth Batman movies weren't trying to copy Tim Burton, Joel Schumacher had his own (awful) creative opinion about where the movies should go. Tim Burton's Batman movies were kind of going for the 1930's comic's style with gothic cathedrals and the like, But Schumacher wanted to pay homage to the campy 1960's show so they made everything super... "flamboyant." Then Christopher Nolan came along and decided that his Batman would look a little like a gritty true-crime drama, and that turned out very well.

All in all, the Batman franchise was handled fairly, each director had two movies to test their styles out with the audience (Nolan's getting a third but it will be his last). I think it would be great if Transformers could do that. give each director a contract to make somewhere between 1-3 movies and then start over completely with a new team.

Your example of the James Bond films kind of supports my point, actually, because they don't really share much in terms of continuity. You could watch them all out of order and each one looks like a concise "statement" by a different team. The Godzilla movies from Japan work the same way (mostly). I love when a franchise manages to do that.

16. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    don't forget we'll have a whole new movie completely wasted on introducing characters and the backstory. Yawn.

17. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    Face the facts, reboots are fot two types of films:

-Old (a few decades old)
    -Crap films

The Transformers film series is a success so why reboot something so successful? It's not very good for business. If a new series came up and that failed then that can turn off this new generation to Transformers. This series was never meant to be true to the original and I realsied that recently. I kept hoping for old characters to make a big-screen translation but that won't happen. These are mostly new characters.

18. Gatehawk

Gatehawk Gooner

they have to do a 4th one, especially since they haven't used Unicron yet.

19. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    But the thing is Spider-Man was getting a 4th film. The had the villian, the cast were returning and it was in production. But suddenly we were told they were rebooting. I for one was surprised.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't know. It seems like the films have been pretty much alike with just a change in the McGuffin and throwing in a handful of new robots. At some point it just seems like it's going to get old watching an over powered Prime and his human buddies with powerful weapons kill yet another Blackout clone or Decepticon that didn't live long enough to get any lines.

Plus if Shia LaBeouf doesn't want to do a fourth film because he wants more serious roles that kind of leaves a rather large hole that has to be filled with another actor. Do we start all over in high school with a new kid who is the focus of the films? Or if Shia stays what's the next plot after high school, college, and the first job, Sam's mid life crisis?