Transformers 4 to have lower Budget & the Story set in Space?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by UltraAlanMagnus, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I said that before EVERY MOVIE came out, and look what happened....

and who's writing the screenplay for this one?

2. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Browsing/Not Buying

At this point, I'll believe it when I see it. Until then I call all of this smoke up our asses.

3. Leather Elbows

Leather Elbows Dooper

News Credits:
    I have a feeling lower budget means fewer robot screentime

4. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Sadly I have to agree.

5. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

May also mean a shorter movie in general.

6. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Booo....

[​IMG]

seriously though, i'm wondering who really pushed hard for yet another film. movie toys are still shelfwarming, and by movie, I mean ROTF toys are still shelfwarming, so was it Hasbro? Paramount? I'm wondering if Bay will half-ass this if he really didn't want to do it, and is being nudged like an annoying nag of a wife by Hasbro to do it. I think three should have been enough, and if they did a fourth, should have waited about 5 years before doing another one. At this point this whole thing is overkill.

That being said, I will still go and see it because I am a fan of TFs.

7. Girl Pants

Girl Pants Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That might not be a bad thing. The TF movies have always been a bit too long, imo. Mostly because they have too much in them - Sam's story, the milatary's story, the Transformers' story, etc. In this film they can tighten this up by not having to bring so many diverse cast member together. Maybe this time the main character will be a milatary or government person, and we won't have to have a bunch of "civilian humor" scenes.

As for the budget, I don't think it'll be a problem if the movie's scope and effects are properly executed. In DotM a large amount of budget must have went into making all the random Decepticon troops, ships, etc. Same with RotF with the generic troops and, of course, Devastator. If they keep it to a smaller cast, like in the first film, they don't need to spend so much on modeling, and can just focus on animations more. The robots generally don't get too much time each anyway, so there's no need for 10+ on each side. So for the Autobots: Prime, Bee, Ratchet, Sideswipe (maybe Dino, and just 1-3 more) is all you need. Even more so if the existing characters are getting a makeover. If they must have a large number of Decepticon troops, why not make them based off something with an established history of look-alikes: Insecticons, or Sweeps, etc, instead of just faceless protoforms that will never get a toy.

8. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Decent script and small cast of characters, please (I know Bay usually shows zero interest in decent scripts, but you never know). Get those things sorted and the rest stands a better chance of falling into place. We might even get some good editing if the rest of it's tight.

As for the designs; always been a fan of the Movie designs, so not fussed whether they actually keep to those after all, or the artists go somewhere new. As long as there's creative development, great. Could be interesting if there's some actual story to the off-earth aspects.

9. AMG

AMG Old School

I like the thought of this story moving to space, but it will be interesting to see how they pull it off with a lower budget.

10. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Ooooh, Mr.Bay, you are a wizard, a demiurge, whom we trust our hearts, souls and destinies, from year to year. I believe that you will not fail us this time!
    :bay 

11. Rquiem

Rquiem Dutchbot

News Credits:
    Well this is good new for the ones who loved the first 3 movies.

For me a continuation of the first 3 means new characters in a movieverse design, plot holes and more humans in a transformers world I already had a hard time to adapt to.

I'll sit this one out. Out of the movies I still haven't seen the transformers movie I'd like to see, and probably never will.

I think I'm just Bayfatigued.

12. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I believe Ehren Krueger's back.

13. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lets be honest, lower budget means that its going to sacrifice on good actors rather than explosions.

The 'going off planet' will probably be more flashbacks to Cybertron along with a scene on the Nemesis or something like that. I wouldnt be suprised if they linked it and had the Autobots setting up a base on the moon in the Ark.

Basically Bay is saying it is a reboot, its just not a reboot in the sense of starting over, just a new plot, new cast, new look kind of reboot. Imagine the Girl With the Dragon Tatoo reboot for terms of perspective. Same basis for the story just different cast and look and feel.

"but I don’t want to go too sci-fi" how has noone laughed to death over this? Transformers is fully Sci-fi :lol 

14. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    'TF fans are like lemmings - except lemmings only jump off a cliff once'.

15. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know, in space and lower budget.

The movie may have unknown or less popular characters, but that doesn't mean it won't be a good movie.

I have mixed feelings on that.

16. knightmare6

knightmare6 Reflector In Disguise

Ebay:
    Nah, the 3D conversion is just a red herring. They plan these ideas a long-time before filming about whether to do 3D or not. If the 3D conversion was true, then all the heads of the producers and execs would be rolling for costing so much wasted revenue in promotional costs alone.

17. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    Unless those lemmings have a parachute, then they can climb back up and jump all over again.

18. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    If they go space they'd lose sponsor money from GM, Lenovo, milk, etc. Also earth viewers might feel less attached.

19. Girl Pants

Girl Pants Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Were any of the previous actors in Tf movies really that expensive? I guess Shia, Josh and Tyrese probably got decent pay by the third one, but there was no Will Smith-level actors really.

I would laugh at that sci-fi line, but I'm so used to people skirting around the term sci-fi to not scare away mainsteam audiences that I hardly notice. Much of the general public steroeotype sci-fi as boring, wordy, nerdy garbage for manchildren, so promoters are hesitant to paint themselves into that box.

20. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    But why be reasonable like that when you can knee-jerk to 9000? After all, a slightly lower budget (which is still oodles more than 90% of movies out there get) apparently automatically means that there will be way less focus on the robot characters and way more focus on stupid human scenes and hijinks, right? :rolleyes:  That's the definition of "lower budget", according to my Filmmaking for Dummies book. It's not like the studio wanting to make more money (because they know Bay can still bring in huge bucks even if he shaves off 20% of the budget of the previous movie), having a different cast, fewer international filming locations, fewer extraneous characters (robot and human) and a shorter runtime could all factor into a lower budget. Nope. Not a chance. Lower budget just means less Transformers in the Transformers movie.

Yeah, I have a feeling too that any space-sequences would be few and far-between, similar to the examples you listed. :) 

"Too sci-fi". TOO.