Transformers 4 Age Of Extinction Worldwide Release

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SilverOptimus, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, he hasn't seen it and won't. He's just ranting because some critic with an over inflated sense of self hated it.

2. Plainsjumper

Plainsjumper Well-Known Member

As an addition to this point:

Batman: character created in 1939
    Superman: character first appears in 1938
    Spider-Man: character first appeared in 1962
    Avengers: first appearance 1963

Relatively speaking Transformers is a young IP.

"So what?" you may ask.

Ask people on the street to name a couple of Batman villains, or Spider-Man villains, or all the super powers Superman has, or even name some Avengers, and you'll get solid answers from more people than questions about Transformers lore.

3. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This

4. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

I'm a long time transformers fan. And I enjoyed the movie. Probably gonna see it again next week.

5. FigureGunplaFan

FigureGunplaFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Already watched the movie (in my country) today.

It's (kinda) bad, but it was OK/decent.

3.9/5

6. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

How can you bad mouth a movie you've haven't seen at all? That makes no sense whatsoever

7. Thyservant

Thyservant Active Member

Personally, I find TF4 better than TF3. The fighting scenes of the latter part of the movie may not be as good and clear as before but the rest of the movie is just awesome and touching, which I think TF2 and TF3 lack.

Poor Ratchet, poor Leadfoot, R.I.P.

Also, the characters of the autobots are better shown in terms of personality.

So... TF1 > TF2 = TF4 > TF3

And where are the other autobots? Sideswipe, Dino, Roadbuster, Topspin... Are they ALL dead... Really sad...

The FIRST HALF of the movie really touched me, even better than TF1.

8. Wu Jen

Wu Jen Some old nobody

Saw it last night. Very disappointed. Product placement was very noticeable, to the point of making it feel more like a big commercial.

9. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime Autobot and N7 for life

Stoked! Three hours to go. Me n my kids had this day marked on the calendar for months. It's on like Trypticon!

Judging from the comments for and against the movie and the reasonings behind them I'm fairly confident I will like this one, perhaps more than the previous ones. Ranking-wise, I put the prior trilogy as 07, DotM, and Rotf last.

I consider DotM a righting of the ship to some degree after RotF went off course and it sounds like AoE sounds more like Dotm quality wise than RotF. Guess we'll see.

10. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I get not liking it. Lots of these complaints seems like people READ reviews and went to the movie looking for things to complain about. Why do we keep expecting a serious robot movie? It was an exaggerated bloated mess of a movie with common themes from transformers... this time it gives TONS more time to the robots. Optimus Prime's violence is forced this time, and feels justified whenever. His kills this time were to protect those he cares about... Both times had he not acted the situation would have resulted in Cade and his family dying. He's the clear leader and REVERED by the Autobots.

Prime flying off is far from ridiculous. He's Optimus Prime! He's supposed to have awesome unexplained powers. People want every part of these movies to be some deep philosophical trip. Chris Nolan has a new thing like that coming for you guys.

Bay stopped trying to take everything seriously. The actors are OBVIOUSLY overacted to the point of being like a cartoon. If you grew up with G1 this felt like that, with a ton of things that aren't explained.

It's like you guys want to see a magic show, then have the magician explain how the illusion is done, robbing it of the magic.

11. Lungbarrow

Lungbarrow Active Member

News Credits:
    I enjoyed it more than I expected and I found it to be the best storytelling and characters of the franchise so far: coherent plot, much more robot time, better robot character development (born of their interactions and conversations), terrific villains (Lockdown, Attinger, Galvatron).

Some caveats for those who take everything complimentary as equalling high praise:
    coherent plot =/= perfectly executed plot.
    coherent plot =/= an explanation for every background off screen element in the plot
    Character development =/= deep emotional empathetic ties to every character.
    Terrific villains =/= clearly defined motiviations and mission

But I will say the plot was clearer to follow in this movie than any of the priors. And if you missed that, its understandable due to the distractions by all the Bay tropes of attractive women, baysplosions, loud music and effects, and quick scene cuts.

And no, Optimus' brutality in the service of stopping an enemy bent on annhilation of an entire species (Megatron, Fallen, Megatron again, Sentinel, Galvatron) and stopping a single human who has been butchering and experimenting on the remains of your friends, isn't bothersome. War is brutal.

Final thought: It's in the same league, quality wise, in my book, as Days of Future Past, Avengers, and The Winter Soldier. But I am admittedly more forgiving (but not ignorant) of inadequacies in these films than many others are, so your mileage may vary.

12. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    Saw it on opening night, and loved it as a whole. Would have liked it even more if the character line up and designs were done differently, but overall had an enjoyable time. Easily my favourite movie of the year, and will be going to see it few times more in the coming days.

While it may have many flaws in the eyes of most people, it caters to what I look for and prioritize in a movie, so it definitely has the support of my wallet.

13. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

Isn't that what all critics are? This arrogance, that they know what is a good movie and not taking their advice makes you less intelligent than them. If you know so well what makes a good movie, then make one. It seems as if it's not some melodrama where the actors cry it out at the end, they will trash it. Perhaps Optimus and Megatron should visit a shrink and work out there problems that way. No matter what Michael does he will always be vilified for it. I guess there are some guys that critics in Hollywood won't like and he's one of them and perhaps this franchise is one of those too. James Cameron can remake Ferngully 2 (Avatar) and it's amazing, etc. Why the difference? I understand that alien robots fighting a civil war might not make the deepest storyline or an Academy Award winning film. Big deal. The average Joe goes to the movie to be entertained and there many ways to be entertained. The success of the franchise suggests that many share that opinion. That's why I don't care have to say anymore. They rip good films and praise boring ones. Perhaps they just like to complain or their dreams of Hollywood never came to fruition, so there going to hate on everyone and everything they can.

14. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

He saved the human who saved him and killed the human who killed his friends.

15. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Product placement would be a part of everyday life if you were filmed using branded products. I don't get how it's such a sin for a character to drink a bud light on screen. Do real people not drink branded beer and not use name brand merchandise? How often do people talk about how awesome their new iPhone is? Wow a beer, a Chinese water and the beats pill took up a deliberate, what, 30 seconds of screen time, and it feels like a big commercial? But not because the characters onscreen are toys for sale off screen? Smh.

16. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

That shows the level of stupidity that some people will go to in an attempt to hate. Take a look at the period table. We have Einsteinium. Gee I wonder why it has that name? Mendelevium. Rememeber him from science class? He only created the damn table. Californium, Lawrencium? What else would you call the element they are made of? Even if you want to ignorance all that let's remember it's a Sci-Fi.

17. Wu Jen

Wu Jen Some old nobody

Sadly those were not the only sins the movie committed. Having Optimus run around screaming, "I'll kill you!" the majority of the movie was another turn off. I enjoyed the first 4 TF movies. This one I did not care for. I did not read any reviews and stayed away from spoilers before going to see it. I did not go in expecting an Oscar/Cannes worthy film.

The movie did not just sit right with me. Did not enjoy it. Your mileage and experience may vary.

18. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I'm reading this thread with great interest because I still hold a love for Transformers somewhere deep inside me even if I don't spend an incredible amount of time on collecting or watching or reading about them these days. It's nice to see the mix of views is about even with the mix of views for the previous three movies, maybe just a bit more positive this time.

For myself? TF1 was alright for what they were trying to do. I supported it with a near desperation because I want Transformers to succeed as a live action franchise. I went 10 times in the theater, once IMax and bought I don't know how many of the different exclusive versions of the DVD when it came out, including the HD-DVD. It's the entire reason I bought an HD-DVD player.

The second movie was a little bit of a let down. I still supported it, because I wanted Transformers to succeed as a live action franchise. I went four times in the theater. I could never bring myself to buy the DVD or Bluray.

The third movie felt iffy opening night. Like, somewhere in the midst of it I realized I wasn't enjoying it. I wasn't angry, I wasn't fan-raging, I was just checked out. I finished it because I was with friends that were obviously enjoying themselves. My wife wanted to see it so I went with her the next day. I've had no desire to see it again.

At this point, three movies in, it's been proven, enthusiastically even, that Transformers is profitable as a live action franchise. It no longer needs the support of everyone to continue to survive. And with that knowledge firmly in mind, I decided I'm out when it comes to TF4. I may, at some point, rent it just to see the robot action in my own home and fast-forward through the parts that bore me, but I feel no need to support it with my own money in the theater. There will be plenty of people doing that with or without me.

So I have two suggestions to the fandom in general.

1. If you don't enjoy these movies, join me and hold off. There is no longer any need to sit through a movie you don't really enjoy, possibly over and over again, to show support. The support has been registered, and even if this particular universe of Transformers stops making money, the precedent has been set and the movies will continue. Perhaps, at some point, with a team behind them that love Transformers as much as the teams behind the current Marvel movies obviously love those properties.

2. If you do enjoy these movies, please, go, support what you enjoy, and talk about it. I do enjoy reading the reviews, positive or negative, and I am enjoying reading what people think. Just do us a favor and don't jump down the throat of someone with a differing opinion. I'm curious to see what people think of this one whether they agree with my assessment of the other films or not. It's a big ol' world, and there's plenty of room for every opinion in it.

We're all here because we love Transformers in some form or another. I try to keep that in mind when addressing what I see as the shortcomings of the movies, as I know some people are here specifically because they love those movies. I hope we can all remember that as the reviews on both sides come in.

19. Rquiem

Rquiem Dutchbot

News Credits:
    Because the alternative is better? Keep throwing money at the movies, viewing them and hoping things might finally change for the better?
    The only thing you achieve with such attitude is no change at all.

Why would anything change, since tickets are still sold.

20. fearthehoss75

fearthehoss75 Well-Known Member

I agree that the movies have been poor but there has always been cool aspects to them. Unfotunatley its all we are going to get so I say embrace what you have. The Dinobots are sweet and I love their Knight designs!!!