Transformers #4 (2019 -)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Ismaeel Kamal, May 1, 2019.

1. Ismaeel Kamal

Ismaeel Kamal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Highlights:

Cyclonus being hit by Chromia
    E0F4045F-266A-4420-8856-6E309F72202C.png

Cyclonus...a pacifist?
    925616C8-C51E-443C-9C62-85713189C91A.png

Cyclonus revealing he isolates himself.
    F650BECB-D08C-411D-AA5E-41B043A20017.png

Cyclonus sees the dead.
    0477B486-C4C4-4B70-8BD3-BB5C400EE602.png

A sample of the audience at the new forging.
    1233720C-1EA3-49B2-B71B-21B74DBE3C66.png

Arcee!
    7B9E577B-563D-4EF0-B439-64CD071C09A0.png

A look at the Reversionists.
    E77A474A-4BFB-43F5-A38A-B2F99F5E03EF.png

Fraction fight.
    27B1F0D6-5E56-4B33-B5AC-75705C9AB065.png

Preceptor!
    21F583DE-7B04-4043-BAE7-BBBD8EC7A09E.png

And Brainstorm’s tomb.
    A592FBC8-393D-4452-BC74-F3382A843413.png

Overall, I like seeing Cyclonus, and seeing how this society treats life and death.

• Like Like x 6
  2. rikkomba

rikkomba Retired Minicon Guru

Hey, it finally started moving! I really enjoyed this issue, a lot going on. Maybe the previous issues were necessary... naaah, they were just boring. This is where things are getting good. Great execution, and can't wait to read the next one.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

The art is better, the dialogue - which was already a relative strength - is also improved. Megatron, for instance, sounds genuinely articulate, rather than like someone rehearsing a bad speech.

But the pace is still too slow, and the ending still feels like an ad break, rather than a suitable close for an episode. Ruckley just can't seem to fit enough into these issues to tell a satisfying chunk of story.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I noticed Siege Ratchet, black crest.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    I dub this issue THE ONE WHERE SOMETHING ACTUALLY HAPPENS.

Felt a lot better paced than others. I think part of the problem with the pace, personally for me, when comapred to the likes of MTMTE, is that MTMTE would sprinkle little hints of backstory in other conversations/stories.

Like, characters would be having a conversation about something, maybe use a term like "functionists" but it wasn't the main point of the story. Then when it becomes relevant, they drop more and more so you get bits and pieces of the future plot, while having fun with the current one.

Here it's like "LOOK AT THE REVERSIONISTS AND THE RISE AND THIS LADY IN A WALL AND THE SENATE AND" etc etc...and you know they're important to the story RIGHT NOW but they don't bother explaining anything. Like 2 weeks ago we had that lady in the wall, and she gets name dropped in this issue. And that's it. No explanation this issue as to why Prime went there or anything. Just leaves me with questions, while previously I might have a few hints but I was being entertained by the story happening at that moment. Here? I just want the answers and it's distracting me from the current story because you KNOW it has something to do with it but bigger off getting an explanation.

Probably the best issue of the series so far, mainly because some stuff happened.

• Like Like x 11
  6. kmc

kmc Well-Known Member

Did Termagax show up?

7. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Huh, first LGBT couple confirmed I guess with Arcee and Greenlight, with Bee hinting them as "nearly inseperable". Guess considering the positivity of the previous IDW continuity rubbed off on this one.

But honestly, this still feels a little slow. Dialogue is better, but the plot is just really slow.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GoLion

GoLion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, now if we can get the next issue to just have a bit more action than this we'll be cooking!

Solid issue. Cyclonus is damn interesting.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Superhans

Superhans TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is the first issue where I’ve wished I was reading a collection of the first year or whatever. Feels like it’s going to explode in the next 1-2 issues (it has to) and this is probably the last establishing “calm before the storm” issue.

• Like Like x 4
  10. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy The Snake: 100% Cunning, 0% Cuddly

I guess they listened to criticism?
    I don't know, I will have to read it for myself. Sounds like a major improvement.

11. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    can criticisms really have that much of an effect after 1 month or is it more reasonable to assume that the author is just getting into his groove?

• Like Like x 16
  12. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    3 artists for a 20 page book and it was still late

• Like Like x 5
  13. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's helping that this is biweekly. It'd be moving way too slowly if it was monthly. I understand the desire to establish the world, but yeah, things need to move a bit.

Cyclonus is very very interesting And his mysterious voice in the head comments are intriguing. The issue continues the trend of showing us a world on the verge of total collapse, and yet also at the height of power. There's a general sense that when it all falls apart, it's going to happen fast. I could easily see a pretty rapid decline into all out war happening.

Also, the issue does a pretty good job of making clear that this world is just not ready. Chromia is helping us understand that the security apparatus is woefully undermanned, and Barricade's presence makes it clear when the time comes it'll splinter anyways.

• Like Like x 13
  14. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Impossible.
    Comics are done in advance. The artists are likely already working on issue 10 and issue 5 is on its way from the printers to the distribution.

The last few pages featured the best artwork of the series so far.

The mysteries are piling up and are really intriguing, seriously. Cyclonus and his, lets say buddies, that's awesome.

• Like Like x 13
  15. Superhans

Superhans TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This. I think people need to trust in the storytelling more, at least for the first year or so.

• Like Like x 12
  16. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

Will pick up in a few hours. Cautiously optimistic based on these reviews.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Just finished reading through it. I'm glad others are seeing something in this, but boy was I still bored to death. Nothing really "happens". I'm giving this one more issue to pull itself out of the shitpile and if I don't care by then, I'm out.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Rob

Rob IDW FOREVER

News Credits:
    Love the direction, also I love the use of levels of visual detail to bring your attention to particular sections of the art.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I’m really impressed with some of the art in this issue. Some interesting plot threads established.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

Yeah no, I did that with Steven Universe's storytelling and that didn't pan out so well.

*shudder*

I don't think I ever said this (or at least, I don't recall when I last said this) but that season finale was offensively bad in more than one way. I wasn't just offended as a viewer who couldn't believe that the showrunners felt this was acceptable writing but I honestly felt offended as a disabled person.

Remember kids, if someone perpetrates a rigid caste system on pain of death, creates people solely to be slaves, conducts horrible experiments on the dead to bring them back to life as a living weapon forever trapped in a hellish existence, hunts down disabled/gay people with a clear intent to kill because they don't fit the ideal, and commits multiple counts of genocide then it's perfectly reasonable to just let them go without a trial or anything. They only did it because they were saaaaad and insecure and that makes it perfectly excusable and their victims just needs to stay and nod along so we don't get any pesky reminders that they're horrible people with wangst problems-

What was I saying? Oh yeah, a reader shouldn't be expected to put trust in the storytelling if they don't feel that, based on the first couple of issues that they've read so far, the writer can be trusted to give them a satisfying story.

The storytelling within the first couple of issues (I haven't read this one yet) had some basic flaws that I don't feel can be excused by early installment weirdness or a writer just needing to find their footing within a new universe. Like I said, it was basic storytelling flaws. For example, Show, don't tell was being neglected badly in favor of *Tell, don't show.

*Tell, don't show has a place within a story but a balance need to struck between it and show, don't tell that matches the story and that just wasn't done in the first issues.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 3