Transformers #3 Full Preview

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Lucas35, Apr 9, 2019.

1. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

Looking at the characters featured, the heavy focus on dialogue, Prowl still being an asshat, dialogue walls, and focusing more on world building gives me the feeling the writer is taking a little bit too much inspiration from Roberts.
    This is disappointing, cause Brain Ruckley has the chance to build his own universe! For example: Simon Furman who mainly wrote stories after the writing team changed, was able to set the groundwork for the 2005 continuity, and the other writers took the chance to build off each other. This? This plot is unfocused and all over the place.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Channeling your inner Death’s Head?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    If this wasn’t Transformers, I’d have dropped it by now. But because it is Transformers, I’ll keep reading it. And I’ll criticise or praise the book as I deem fit.

• Like Like x 2
  4. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    And how many OCs did Roberts get introduced to? Too many, I assume? Two would probably be too many to introduce him to, in my book.

At any rate, it looks like throwing in some Roberts OCs pretty much quieted the critics. Call me shocked.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    The only pointless OCs are those whose role could be filled by an appropriate existing character going unused or neglected elsewhere in the continuity.

You want to add a new Autobot car OC to your comic, then he had better be unique to all the other Autobot cars in existence.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Aside from Froid being featured, I don't see it. Prowl's completely different so far - more of a dogged cop - and the rest of this list is basically just the basic necessary ingredients for telling an involved story. If he were taking lessons from Roberts, we'd be off to a much zippier start.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    And that would have been a good thing. Or just let Roberts have had the whole book to himself to start a completely new continuity with.

• Like Like x 2
  8. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    But can you see why I'm a bit Meh about this...The characters are more cardboard cutouts that having actual character, Its not just that its not MTMTE, the only reason I mentioned that was that they had very good character writing in that and here not so much. I think all of the movies suffer the same fault too. They make the bots more of a thing than a character

• Like Like x 1
  9. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    This. I picked up my subscription yesterday and I'll be cancelling next time I hit the comic shop. Boring repeat of a tired story with lackluster visuals.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

Big snooze from here. And the art?
    Ughhhhhhhhhhh.
    Missed opportunity, IDW.
    It’s as though IDW spent 8 years putting their heart and soul into the Bar-Bert’s era and now just don’t have the energy to do it again.
    Hasbro: Start over. Sell toys.
    IDW: sigh. Ok.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Are you reading the same thread? Hell, Froid wasn't even popular in MTMTE.

• Like Like x 1
  12. FightingRooster

FightingRooster Well-Known Member

Is this a new comic universe?

13. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    My guess, given their related names, is that the groups are related but secretly. Arise is probably the ascenta cons terrorist cell or something like that

14. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hit dogs holler

Huh.

I\'m not in love with this, but I\'ll keep playing along at least long enough to see how they build out Cybertron (and see who murked Brainstorm). The art is definitely an acquired taste - every once in a while there\'s something I love (the way Froid is drawn is so expressive, and I love the look on the face of that one dude Quake murders) but big swaths of this seem like the artist is REALLY uncomfortable or unfamiliar with drawing Transformer anatomy and articulation, with Optimus in particular being very... well, it looks like his head goes onto his torso wherever the artist needs it to go onto his torso depending on the panel framing.

I\'m struggling to care about the broad strokes of this story, but getting any kind of a backstory or origin or characterization at all for Quake is a very nice treat.

15. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Fans are decrying this new series because it’s just not a good comic, whether or not you were a fan of MTMTE. And MTMTE fans in particular are decrying this comic because we’ve just had like 100 issues from Roberts with strong characterisation, plot and story development. Even the worse, dumbest or pointless of MTMTE still had a high level of energy to them that I’m just not picking up from this.

This is supposed to be the first new story of a completely new continuity -it’s supposed to hit the ground running with all guns blazing to attract new readers; not drive new readers and existing readers away due to how slow, tired and boring it is.

16. TheWarPathGuy

Quite alot actually. There are times where stories focus a little... too much on them. I don't dislike the characters he created, their just oversaturated. Is it that difficult to hand over these traits to say... an existing character? There are over hundreds of Transformers Roberts could of used, but instead he made 10 different ocs.
    Here are some ocs he created.
    • Rung
    • Nautica
    • Velocity
    • Lug
    • Anode
    • Ten
    • Roller
    Get this, these make up 1/3 of the main cast. And I haven't mentioned Tarn, and the underdeveloped DJD. Riptide, Roller, Ambulon, Fulcrum, and many, many more.

I confused Ambulon, Roller, and Ratchet for all being the same character due to their similar head designs.

• Like Like x 2
  17. TheWarPathGuy

Indeed. Unrelated to the previous IDW continuity.

18. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ...Is Roberts perhaps a fan of Sonic?

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheWarPathGuy

I am too.
    But if I were a writer, I much prefer using the official characters, rather than making my own. Mainly because there are hundreds of Transformers who could be developed! We don't need to increase the size of a series that literally has thousands of Transformers. Roberts introduced too many ocs, and I bet there is a Transformers character out there who could of easily replaced them. Rung could of easily been replaced with Hoist. Cause in Hoist's Spotlight it states no one really remembers or bothers to care about him, and he just enjoys fitting in.
    Robert's self-insert OC was Rung. If I used a self-insert? Dogfight.
    Being honest... I would like to see Robert's take on the Sonic series.

20. osenator

osenator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Writer room : Guys, we need something really fresh... Gimme ideals... not about the Autobots and decepticons...
    Writers : ...crickets.....
    An hour later...
    Writers : Er.. how about the autobots and the Ascenticons ?
    Writers : PERFECT !!!

• Like Like x 3