Transformers 2024 Crimsonflame

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ziltama, Dec 21, 2023.

1. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    We're still in 2023!
    cf00.jpg

Crimsonflame is a Deluxe class figure that is a heavy retool of The Last Knight Steelbane and Skullitron figures. He is the latest figure with the Chinese zodiac theme as 2024 is the Year of the Dragon. This figure appears to be an exclusive to the China / HK market.

The deco is supposed to be that of a traditional Chinese warrior and dragon. As I'm not Chinese, I cannot further elaborate regarding the accuracy of the aesthetics. The base plastic colors are done in orange, gunmetal, and clear yellow. All other colors and various details are painted on.

The figure comes with several accessories. There's a stand base, stand arm, flame blast effect, blaster, pole, tassle, and shield. The ribbon is hard molded on the pole. The various accessories are able to combine into some sort of flaming pole, I guess.

As for articulation, head is on a ball joint. Shoulders are on ball joints. The shoulder pads are on simple hinges. Shoulders are almost able to extend outward all the way. The shoulers are able to rotate 360 degrees. The elbows are on simple ratchets and flex past 90 degrees. There are bicep swivels. There is full wrist rotation although the leg kibble rotates along with the hands. Although a waist swivel is technically present, there is no functional waist rotation due to transformation scheme. Hips are on ball joints. There is 90 degree hip movement forwards and backwards but only 45 degrees outward. There are thigh swivels. Knees are on pinned hinges and able to flex 90 degrees despite the kibble. Ankles have forwards/backwards movement from a hinge and have tilt via ball joints.

Overall, the figure feels "fiddly". His joints aren't loose although not super tight either. His core just does not feel stable in either modes. For robot mode, posing often leads to his lower torso coming apart: the right leg hinge assembly has to rotate upward and is supposed to tab into the waist area. The tab isn't loose per se but not tight enough. The upper torso may also come apart: the rear of the chest tabs into the backpack. Again, it's not loose but not tight enough. For alt mode, the shield has a tendency to pop off when trying to adjust the rear legs. The rear body section partially untabs when the shield is fully seated, making it prone to fully untab.

The instructions and the box renders also have different leg positions in alt mode. The box mode version is more stable. For the instructions, the rear legs are rotated backwards, and I can't get a stable all 4's on the ground that way.

Bot mode appears the better of both modes, although the rear alt leg kibble juts out too far. The packaging setup has the legs closer to the body and actually looks better that way, IMHO. For alt mode, the bot kibble stands out more. The bot hands and feet are unfortunately totally exposed in alt mode. We do not have the Skullitron or Steelbane figures for comparison.

Accessories:
    Stand base, stand arm, blaster, flame blast effect, pole, tassle, and shield.
    cf04.jpg

This is the stand with the accessories attached. The stand arm is positioned this way for bot mode; reversed for alt mode.
    cf02.jpg

Another view:
    cf03.jpg

Bot Mode:
    Front view.
    cf05.jpg

Side view. The alt leg kibble is a bit of an eyesore in the recommended configuration.
    cf06.jpg

Rear view.
    cf07.jpg

This is with accessories attached.
    cf08.jpg

The stand arm is able to plug into the bot's flight stand port for stability.
    cf01.jpg

The alt leg kibble has ports that could be used for storage. Positioning the alt leg kibble back into packaging configuration would allow for a much flatter backpack...and shoulder cannons.
    cf09.jpg

Alt Mode:
    The fully exposed hands and feet stick out like an eyesore. The rear legs are in the box art configuration. Rotating the legs backwards per instructions makes it rather difficult to get all 4's on the ground. The shield is needed to cover up the back.
    cf10.jpg

Another view.
    cf11.jpg

The lower jaw is able to open. The blast effects peg does not move with the lower jaw and is positioned relatively high inside the mouth.
    cf12.jpg

Alt mode on the flight stand: The stand arm is reversed for this mode, and the instructions recommend to attach the tassle to one of the front legs.
    cf13.jpg

Overall:
    Crimsonflame is rather meh. Liked his overall color scheme and deco style. The figure is not awful, however, in-hand, the figure just feels off. The core stability is poor, which leads to issues while posing. The lower torso tends to come apart in bot mode, and the shield has a tendency to pop off in alt mode along with the rear body untabbing. The tabbed connections feel like they should be snug but are not tight enough. Not a fan of fully exposed bot hands and feet in alt mode.

Edit:
    For bot mode, the lower part of the core has a tendency to come apart (arrow). The tabs feel snug but still comes apart too easily when posing.
    cf15.jpg

For alt mode, the rear of the dragon body also has a tendency to come apart. Installing the shield causes partial untabbing, which then leads to full untabbing when posing. Again, the tabs feel snug but comes apart readily.
    cf18.jpg

Closest era figures we have are the Dinobots. This is Deluxe Strafe (Black Knight deco). Strafe suffers from inward flexing elbows and lack of ankle tilts; Crimsonflame does not have these issues.
    cf14.jpg

Comparison in alt modes.
    cf17.jpg

We only have one other figure with an Asian dragon alt mode: Optimus Exprime. Unfortunately, his alt dragon mode is trash. Crimsonflame looks much better in comparison to something like this.
    cf16.jpg

Flightstand has 3mm pegs and should work with standard flightstand ports pending clearance.
    stand.jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 9
  2. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    Where can I get this?

• Like Like x 3
  3. ziltama

News Credits:
    Got ours from Robotkingdom. They sold out briefly and restocked. With their cheapest shipping option, it's a better deal than the eBay sellers.

• Like Like x 3
  4. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info, grabbed one. The eBay prices are insane.

• Like Like x 3
  5. ziltama

News Credits:
    Added some more pics to the original post and fixed typos. I don't have Steelbane or Skullitron but did add some comparison pics with other figures. Also added pics highlighting some of the core stability issues.

Edit: Added a flight stand pic with a different figure.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Denzimus

Denzimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I swear, things like this would probably be worth a fortune years from now

7. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

What's that figure in the last picture? Looks sweet.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ziltama

News Credits:
    Sonic Bomber from the Takara LG-EX Big Powered / Dai Atlas set.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just got mine in from RK. I don’t have much to add from the OP, but mine seems to tab in fine. I am very happy I was able to get this set. The entire time I was opening it and playing with it, I got the impression that the set was very thoughtful in what it is representing. I am not very knowledgeable about the subject matter, but both modes look amazing (the colors really pop), the accessories feel appropriate, and the stand is such a great touch. It makes the set feel like something you can display on a desk. The storage is nice, and I really appreciate that it allows you to display a flying dragon. Although I may be slightly biased as my birth year was also the year of the (fire) dragon.
    IMG_8300.jpeg IMG_8301.jpeg IMG_8295.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 24, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  10. yovnocrats

yovnocrats Well-Known Member

I hope this guy shows up on Pulse, he's killer. Definitely willing to fudge him as the 'Knight of Iacon who moved to China'.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Got mine in from RK, today. Impressive shipping time. Packed insanely well, box is case fresh and pristine.

I'm sad we didn't get the super nice presentation box, I was really hoping Hasbro would make that possible. :( 

That said, this is one nice figure. Yes, it's a retool and a repaint, but it's better than the original figure and the accessories are *chef's kiss* the stand, in particular.
    If I have any real gripes (aside from the packaging let down), it's that the most important parts are rubber. His dragon head is rubber, the codpiece in robot mode, the yellow cannon barrel things, the flame, and they're all part of his transformation and both modes. *sigh* I do so hate rubber on these things.

If the rubbery stuff lasts, he'll be a fantastic addition. If it doesn't, well, he's awesome while it lasts. (It'll suck if he starts melting plastics and whatnot.)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Nemesis Scourge

Nemesis Scourge Unicron's finest

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Boy, I hope we get one in white and gold as well...

13. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey @ziltama can I get a close up on that belt buckle detailing? I'd like to see it better

• Like Like x 1
  14. ziltama

News Credits:
    belt.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My Crimsonflame from RK has been sitting at "Processed through ISC Los Angeles," since 1/02/24. C'mon USPS, do your thing and bring me my dragon mans!

• Like Like x 1
  17. OptimusTarzan

OptimusTarzan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shits OOS from RK. Anyone know anywhere else I can get it?

18. ziltama

News Credits:
    Probably just eBay and Aliexpress then. $70-80ish on eBay and $65 on Aliexpress. Aliexpress search is flipping awful and doesn't work. It's better to google search something like "crimsonflame aliexpress".

• Like Like x 2
  19. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

Losing the wings actually really helps the look of this figures, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ziltama

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2