Transformers (2019) Reboot Discussion/Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by SonicGX98, Dec 18, 2018.

1. YukatanJack

YukatanJack Well-Known Member

I'm stunned by how not-hyped I am for this.

Like, the closest comparison I can think of is AHM. When AHM was announced, it was a back-to-basics reboot of a line of comics I liked. I was flat-out angry that the -ation series was being truncated... But I was ALSO reluctantly excited. Those cool propaganda poster covers, that kick-ass Guido Guidi art, even the simple, hard-hitting premise grabbed me.

This? Meh. Could not care less.

Like, I definitely think there are cool stories you could tell during the early war period...

...but I kinda feel like the previous continuity just nailed this period so well, over an extended period of time. Yeah, it was mostly flashbacks, but by the end pre-war Cybertron felt like a rich, lived-in world.

Now they've gotta start over. And they can do something new but... are they really going to top "Chaos Theory"? No. There's simply no way.

2. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Yaaaaawn.

Not a major name comics writer. A guy who wrote a midlist fantasy trilogy that was decently received a decade ago.

Another pre-war story about the flashpoint of the war. Well, it can't be worse than Autocracy, but it can't be better than Chaos Theory.

I mean, I'd like to be pleasantly surprised, but this feels very much like Brand Consolidation With Talent That Comes Cheap, brought to you by HASBRO also idw.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm not sure I really understand this complaint about IDW not getting a big name writer when quite a lot of Transformers writers weren't big names before their work on it.

• Like Like x 12
  4. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    I was just thinking this. Before Wreckers, Roberts hadn't worked on any official comic projects. I'm going to miss the old team but it's time for some new blood.

• Like Like x 2
  5. misfire19d

misfire19d Geewunner with some cash to buy toys

This is purely speculation. I think one of the previous writers in the UK may know Buckley and recommended him to IDW. They asked him for a pitch. He gave them one and they liked it.

6. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Difference there for me was I knew Roberts' pedigree as a fan and had actually read his work on Transformers prior.

7. simpatico

simpatico HAVE SOME GODDAMN FAITH ARTHUR

Of course not!

It'll be Bumper and Fastback.

8. GoLion

GoLion 誰がおならをした

News Credits:
    Could it also have to do with IDW not paying their talent enough? I've heard that a lot of the people in the industry don't really make that much money. It might be hard to attract the 'big names'.

• Like Like x 1
  9. misfire19d

misfire19d Geewunner with some cash to buy toys

Like the old saying goes: You get what you pay for.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DrJest

DrJest Crewdition Washout

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Pinterest:
    There are some big names who would love to write Transformers but I don't think you can get them to touch a licensed property. Aside from IDW being a smaller comics publisher and probably having a smaller talent budget, licensed comics are notorious for not paying royalties. Hasbro also ends up with ownership of any new intellectual property generated from the comics, and they won't pay for their use of it. Marvel and DC, while not perfect, have gotten a lot better about sharing profits with their creatives, so they still get top talent. The actual money for writers and artists with enough name recognition is in creator-owned properties, which is why it's rare to see established creators working with licenses, with the rare exception like Hama or Furman.

Take Kieron Gillen for example. He's known to be a big fan of the Marvel UK Transformers and likes the current comics. Back when he did the first Phonogram series on Image and lost money on it, he'd probably jump at writing TF (and probably would have pissed off people far worse than Roberts). Now, after building up an audience with a few years of work at Marvel, he has an audience that will follow him to his own creator-owned series, which are doing very well. While he's known to appreciate the franchise, it's not worth it for him to commit to an ongoing. IDW might be able to get a big name to do a short run but only if they were sure they'd sell enough to cover what they'd need to pay.

That's why you see a lot of beginning artists or people who are trying to get into mainstream comics doing licenses. So we get webcomics people like Chris Hastings and Ryan North doing licenses at Boom! and going on to Marvel, or TV writers like Mairghread Scott, fanfic writers like Roberts, and the occasional novelist writing TFs. The publisher gets someone with proven writing talent at a lower cost, which they love since they're already paying for a license. I'm pretty curious about how this cycle will work for Roberts, who has continued working a day job while writing for IDW. He's been pretty quiet but I think he's angling for something that can get him writing full time.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Ruckley's worked for IDW before, so I'm not sure any of the other TF writers had to recommend him.

• Like Like x 3
  12. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    I mean, eh. I'm not hyped at all. I'm not excited to see this "NEW TAKE" not actually, on the Transformers. I'm interested in pre-war, but not, pre-right-before-war. Just like ANY comic book series that I'm even sort of interested in, it gets 3 issues to prove itself in the interesting category. After that, fuck you.

13. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Most writers work a day job, or, for those who devote more time to it, have a spouse who earns a steady income and provides insurance. Writing comics is too sporadic a gig and pays much worse, adjusted for inflation, than it used to. I would imagine that a guy like Jason Aaron, writing 6-7 comics a month, can make it work, but one comic a month pays about as much as a shitty part-time hourly job.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Nelomaxwell

Nelomaxwell Till all are one

I mean this can't be bad right?

15. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    This is the franchise that brought us this Rattrap:
    [​IMG]

And the COSMIC CARNIVAL:

[​IMG]

The bottom of this barrel is located in the boiler room in the sub-basement down in Deep 13.
    [​IMG]

16. Nelomaxwell

Nelomaxwell Till all are one

At least we got Kiss players right?

17. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    Ugh. Kiss Players is complicated. The squick factor is almost impossible to get past. However, some of the ideas and concepts in Kiss Players were actually unique and interesting (basically giving us the concept of Unicron's cells/blood/whatever as a corrupting agent ages before Dark Energon, for example). Despite it's drawbacks, I can't honestly say it's devoid of any actual content. The Cosmic Carnival and the reduction of Rattrap to Pikachutron on the other hand...

• Like Like x 2
  18. GoLion

GoLion 誰がおならをした

News Credits:
    Outside of that run he did on Young Avengers, he's been fairly unremarkable in my view.

Although, I wouldn't mind if he did have a stint on a transformers book. He is decent at worldbuilding. I think his problems are kind of similar to Roberts', though. Lots of interesting build up with weak resolutions.

Honestly? The Cosmic carnival wasn't a bad idea conceptually. The execution left a lot to be desired, but I think that the entire plot gets a lot of unusually harsh criticisms.

Absolutely agree with you about how they treated poor Rattrap.

19. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

I sort of think it might be quite fun if this series is really bad, but really popular with the kind of people who were always wailing about IDW being a trashfire, so that every time an issue comes out it gets taken to pieces in the forums, and then when sales inevitably start to slump everybody here gets accused of sabotaging the franchise with negative vibes.

Much more likely it's going to be fairly competent but boring though.

• Like Like x 3
  20. GoLion

GoLion 誰がおならをした

News Credits:
    LMAO

And welcome to my life the past year whenever I had even the slightest criticism of LL.

• Like Like x 1