Transformers (2019-) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Ismaeel Kamal, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think Rubble is actually a she. Certainly looks female plus Bumblebee's first "he" was bolded drawing attention to it.

I don't mind the murder victim being who he is, since it's not the same guy and well it signals that this isn't the same as the old continuity.

But I do think it's a red herring, I believe they're setting up Rubble to be the first murder, s/he's going to introduce us to this nee universe and then die horribly setting off the war because the victim wasn't just someone with a long life, but a child.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Spontificus

Spontificus Well-Known Member

Glad that the victim wasn't some nobody new guy that's just there to be a corpse. I'm fine with who it ended up being, as that character got as good of a run as could have been hoped for with the previous IDW series. If this version of that character is anything like the old version, there are plenty of reasons why they would be caught up in something like this.

I enjoyed the first issue, but I have to wonder what has Megatron and his faction all riled up in this universe. Cybertron seems pretty idyllic so far in contrast to the obviously corrupt pre-war Cybertron from IDW1.

I am definitely in the "Rubble will become a Decepticon" camp. It definitely fits with the whole "making your own choices" narrative they set up.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 5:27 AM
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

I was honestly expecting the victim to be somebody like Sentinel Prime or Dion.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

So since I read the comic, something was nagging at me and I finally started to put words to it.

One of my primary problems with Issue #1 is that it establishes very little. Sure, it's setting up a bunch of plot threads but a good set-up generally gives the audience a little something to munch on so they don't starve or go searching for food elsewhere.

For example, we are introduced to the Ascenticon movement but we don't really learn anything about them. It's all so painfully vague.

Who is Termagax?

We get a quote in the beginning, but nothing that explains her connection to the Ascenticons or why they're using her as a rallying cry.

Who are the Ascenticons?

We don't know.

Why are they marching?

We don't know.

What are they protesting?

We don't know.

Why do their rallies turn violent?

We don't know.

We are introduced to a movement before we know what they're moving for or against and we are introduced to a society facing change before we know anything about that society. We are provided no information about the Ascenticons and so, we are provided no reason to care about them. They're just... there.

People have been comparing the first issue of Transformers (2019) with the first issue of More than Meets the Eye, but that's an unfair comparison because although Mtmte was the start of a new series, it wasn't the start of a new universe so it didn't need to shoulder the burden of establishing a whole new continuity. It only needed to focus just on establishing its own story. But here's the thing, ihe example used was wrong but the conclusion reached wasn't.

Compare Transformers (2019) to Harrow County and the contrast is incredible, because the first issue of the latter is tightly-packed with information but never so much that it slows down the pace of the story and ruins the momentum. The narration, the dialogue and the visuals are all woven together wonderfully and the plot is fed to you in reasonable portions so you're never left feeling bloated and so you're never left feeling hungry either. You're left content and excited for the next time you're invited to dinner.

Now for the sake of honesty, I should point out that Transformers #1 is twenty-nine pages and Harrow County #1 is thirty-two pages, so it may seem on the surface like Harrow County has an unfair advantage because it has more pages and therefore, more pages to tell its story, but the thing is that its actual story ends on the twenty-seventh page. The rest is a one-page mini story and authorial information about what inspired the tree that serves as an important plot element within the main story. Complementary information, basically. That means that the first issue of Harrow County actually accomplished all the things I mentioned with less time than the Transformers (2019).

I don't think Transformers #1 was a well-planned issue. The Ascenticon pages feel like the reader is getting inserted into a plotline that is already underway and are provided with no context to help them navigate the events. It's not a satisfying start to that plotline. It would honestly have been best if it had been moved to the next issue or combined in some way with the Rubble parts of issue #1. For example, Bumblebee and Rubble are walking around in some Cybertronian city, where they see and hear the Ascenticons who are marching to Tarn. Bumblebee decides that since trouble frequently accompanies the Ascenticons, he'd be best if they took another route to get to Brainstorm, which is how they end up in the desolate landscape where they meet the Voin scavengers.

This would also help the Rubble plotline slightly. One of its problems is that it repeats the same beats without any real variety. We are in the middle of a largely featureless and desolate landscape far from any city so the characters and dialogue has to carry the episode because there's no visuals to help feed the audience information or complement theirs to make it more interesting. It feels sparse for the most part. It's like one of those corridor scenes where the characters are walking down a dark hallway to get to their destination and talking meanwhile. Their conversation can be interesting, but it still feels like filler. At least with the above change to the story, the featureless and desolate landscape serves as a contrast to the growing unrest in the cities, a place that provides some semblance of tranquility to both Cybertronians and aliens... at least, until the final page reveals that's no longer the case.

And here's another thing that makes me say that this wasn't a well-planned issue. I can't think of a good segue for this next bit, I'm just going to come out and say it: the comic implies that Windblade and Bumblebee are xenophobes or at the very least, complete assholes that shouldn't be in charge of an impressionable newspark.

I don't know if anyone else noticed this but on the eleventh page, Windlade shoots at the alien scavengers Rubble encounters for no reason. I actually missed it the first time around because the whole thing is treated so casually you'd think it never happened. To summarize, Rubble falls down a dune and meets the Voin scavengers who look at him with a bit of curiousity before they just sort of saunters past him except for the one who identifies him as a small Cybertronian. Bumblebee peaks down and asks if he's alright. And that's when Windblade flies in and starts firing at the Voin.

We don't what prompted her to start taking pot shots at them and neither the dialogue nor the art do anything to indicate that the Voin were being aggressive towards Rubble. To reiterate, the Voin were just identifying him as a small Cybertronian and moving past him. That's it. Bumblebee asks if Rubble is alright but Rubble just tumbled down a ravine so it makes a lot more sense that he'd be asking that because of the fall and not because of the aliens that are just standing nearby. Bumblebee can clearly see the Voin because, well, they're right next to Rubble but there's nothing in Bumblebee's dialogue, facial expression or body language that so much as suggests we should find something alarming about the situation. Windblade saw people just standing around talking to each other quite calmly and she decided that warranted firing warning shots.

Is this normal for Camiens? Like, is this how they react to people just having a casual conversation on the stre- Primus almighty, how do they react to actual arguments? Do they just forego the warning shots and just start shooting people? Great Unicron, she was the one who shot Brainstorm, wasn't she? Windblade saw him having a heated discussion with someone so she flew in and shot him.

That's not a serious theory, by the way.

But seriously, we have a panel of a main character opening fire on a bunch of, by all evidence, peaceful and harmless aliens and we are offered no context for her actions. If you didn't know anything about these characters, you'd be completely forgiven for assuming that this reaction and the subsequent lack of reaction is meant to indicate that Cybertronians are xenophobic or at the very least, that Windblade and Bumblebee is. We are offered no reason to assume otherwise.

TL:D R: There were more problems with this issue than I initially thought and I finally managed to put them into words. Also, I haven't cleaned this for grammatical errors and weird structuring. My pardons.

Also, Windblade being a violent xenophobe is canon :p 

• Like Like x 7
  5. TeamOptimus

TeamOptimus Well-Known Member

They should’ve emphasized “bold new era” and had Starscream as the first murder victim.

Rubble finds him and everyone’s like “ohh damn!”

And then Thundercracker is Megatron’s second in command and the seeker leader, only he’s completely loyal.

• Like Like x 5
  6. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

CaioSilvatheScreamerFan Destron New Leader

Facebook:
    The comic's subtitle is The World In Your Eyes, TWiYE for short
    Also
    The one calling Rubble small was this weird globe drone

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

Interestingly, if you look closely at it, the drone is actually connected to the head of one of the primate-like aliens. It's unclear if the primate is controlling the drone or if the drone is controlling the primate and through it, the other primates. Personally, I think it's the latter.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

Plot twist: Starscream comes back as a ghost.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ismaeel Kamal

Ismaeel Kamal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Poor Starscream has died too many times in TV Shows, Movies and Comics. If they killed him at the beginning, I’d feel sorry for him.

• Like Like x 1
  10. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

Facebook:
    He died in any comics ?

11. Ismaeel Kamal

Ismaeel Kamal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He died in the last IDW continuity, at Transformers: Unicron #6, where he sacrificed himself.

If you want to see more of his deaths, here’s a video about it:

• Like Like x 2
  12. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

Facebook:
    Damn
    WFC and Primescream are the only survivors

• Like Like x 1
  13. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Starscream also died in the old Marvel Transformers series when the power of the Underbase was too much for him.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lucas35

Lucas35 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He talks a little about them in this interview:

Alt Mode Special 8 - Brian Ruckley Interview Transcript | TransMissions Podcast Network

• Like Like x 4
  15. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

Facebook:
  16. Makarov

Makarov Well-Known Member

Favorite part of the issue:

comic1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  17. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

Facebook:
    Im going to report you for posting a pic of a corpse

• Like Like x 4
  18. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

I think the most damning indictment of the issue is that three days after its arrival, we've pretty much run out of things to say about it.

• Like Like x 5
  19. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

Facebook:
    It's a short issue
    Going further would be overthinking(making theories)instead of talking about the actual content

• Like Like x 1
  20. Makarov

Makarov Well-Known Member

I'm a bit new to transformers comics so I liked it, looking forward to the next one. Nice to start fresh with everyone

The only thing weird to me is that orion pax looks exactly the same as optimus prime... I thought in most transformers stories he's a lowly dock worker or atleast looks different as orion pax until he gets powered up.

• Like Like x 2