Transformers (2019-) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Issy543, Mar 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaftRaider

DaftRaider Sir Not-a-Decepticon

I thought it was an okay start, but I'm going to wait for this first arc to play out before I decide on whether I like it or not.

One thing I don't like though is some of the art, especially Pax, Megatron, and Ironhide. They are COVERED with their toy details. Why would you draw their 5mm ports and screw holes?! It's honestly really distracting because it looks like I'm reading a 'Toy Story' like scenario where their action figures are walking around, and not a story set on Cybertron.

• Like Like x 9
  2. Thewatcher88

Thewatcher88 Well-Known Member

I think the fact that they killed off Brainstorm in the first issue is !@#$%.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz Autobot

News Credits:
    That was a pretty solid first issue. I liked Rubble. The art was a little meh for me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

I see a lot of people who loved LL and MTMtE dogging this book.... because it’s not that book. That’s not really fair.

I liked it. I liked how they made Megatron sympathetic because it’s a disagreement between he and Orion, not millions of years of atrocities on either side. I would like to know what it is that the fuss is over.

Also, I like how we see some of the Autobot big names - Optimus, Ironhide, Bumblebee, Windblade, and hear of another in Prowl, and we can see Megatron and how that’s the core of the cast. Go with the big ones.

And I think they’ve done a great job keeping some old concepts like forging and Titans while getting rid of others like the Functionist Council. Without functionism we are going to get to see what everyone could choose to be. Maybe that’s Acensionism? They want to ascend to the stars but the Titans are holding them back?

• Like Like x 12
  5. unknown456

unknown456 Not-So-New Bot On The Block

Having not read it yet (only been reading people's reactions so far), the thing that surprises me the most about the issue is who the murder victim is, if only for the fact that the Big H could be releasing a toy of him at some point for the WFC trilogy. Everything else sounds about how I expected it. May or may not have further thoughts once I properly have time to read it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was anyone else in awe of the color

• Like Like x 3
  7. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    I hope this is okay, but I hope we get a legends Rubble. I know as fandom were supposed to hate new TFs but I like this dude .....or Dudett.
    Screenshot_2019-03-13-17-24-36~2.png

• Like Like x 7
  8. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

Honestly this feels like more of the same.

How is it a "new era" when it uses all the old tropes?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Issy543

Issy543 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Rubble is a very adorable character!

Here’s some higher resolution pictures of him:
    A939DE57-CEBD-4EB9-ABAA-5CCCFC9C3E60.png
    06458A8C-F6A5-4B1A-9C27-714FB275C927.png

• Like Like x 6
  10. smkheidze

smkheidze sideswipe and sideswipe and even more sideswipe.

okay. I like it. It certainly did a good job of pulling me in. That said, I am not a fan of the art. It is so geometrical that it lacks any flow and...I dunno expression. I mean it's technically solid, but it's just too sterile...as though it was drawn by a robot.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    I love the art

12. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

I like the art, I like Rubble and I like the use of the non-Functionist angle to help set this universe apart from the preceding one but I admit, I wasn't really drawn into the issue.

I think the exchange between Optimus and Megatron would have been more intriguing if I had been a new fan rather than an old one because to me, it just feels like I'm late reading a new series where the conflict is already under way rather than just starting. I've seen this before so there's nothing new in it. Not yet, anyway. I'm not discounting that it's probably going to be more interesting and/or different later on, but that doesn't change how I feel about it in this particular issue.

I don't think it was a good idea to start off with a murder this soon because the new world has barely been established yet and I think it would have been better to let the readers hang out in it for a bit longer and just take in the sights like Rubble do. Honestly, I think it should have started with Rubble coming online. I think it would have been best to give readers more of a chance to get to know everything and everyone before their lifes are thrown for a loop.

I still don't find Bumblebee and Windblade interesting but I expected as much, even if I had hoped otherwise. I do find it amusing how Windblade is just shoved into the story with an introduction that amounts to "oh she's Bumblebee's old friend". I want to make it clear that this isn't just me harping on Windblade. It would feel like a hasty introduction no matter the character, like it's just there to get it out of the way. I do admit it's made a bit more funny by it being Windblade's introduction because of all the jokes (and non-jokes) people make about Hasbro insisting on shoving her into everything.

However, I do really wish she hadn't been drawn with the same mouth lines that she has in Cyberverse because, just like in the show, it makes her look like a ventriloquist dummy. It's less freaky than in Cyberverse but I still don't think it's a good design choice and honestly, I can't stop picturing that whenever she talks, her mouth just opens and sound just comes out, like no words are formed or anything.

I have no real feelings on Brainstorm being the murder victim. I think my reaction was just mild surprise. I'm also not sure he's dead, but I can see it go either way.

Something that I noticed is also that it doesn't feel like a comic made for new readers, by which I mean that it doesn't feel like it's made to introduce new people to the Transformers. For example, it doesn't establish what Cybertron is, only what's new to this take on Cybertron.

All in all, it's a start and I do want to see where it goes from here, but it's not grabbing me yet. Again, it may be because I'm an old fan so a lot of this feels like an old song and dance and as a result, the issue feels short. I'm mostly just in it to see what's new to the setting and if they're going to put a different spin on old stories like Megatron's uprising.

Basically, it's got potential and I'm curious to see what they're going to make of it.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  13. TeamOptimus

TeamOptimus Well-Known Member

I've seen a LOT of this today. It's like they don't understand it's a reboot or something.

• Like Like x 8
  14. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    I find the comics forums difficult sometimes so many people with ridiculous standards for Transformers comics or upset that its retelling The Transformers origin story, like that's not allowed.

Yes expect to see Megatron, Optimus and Bumblebee.
    Yes we should expect some Cybertronian politics because the accepted lore involves Megatron and Optimus having a political disagreement.
    Yes there will always be similarities to other versions of the same story.

• Like Like x 10
  15. TeamOptimus

I saw someone @ Brian Ruckley on Twitter about it and he actually replied lmao. People need to calm the hell down.

This is a franchise with multiple continuities. Even right now we have three going on at the same time. How can people not understand this? I'm baffled..and honestly, is this going to be the discourse after every issue? Complaining about how it's not like MTMTE/LL? Ugh.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    NOOOOOO!!!!!!! xD

they kill BrainStorm already??! Oh, come on!!! I read his name and wanted to meet his new version but...come on!!! xD Man, that sucks! ^^'

Gosh. Rubble is ADORABLE! I really think he is the link with the reader to understand better this Cybertron. Rubble is a she, right? Also, Cybertron is beautiful! Which is a bit sad knowing what will become of it. :( 

Really liking this start. We already got a few things to write down and pay attention to it later.

Want to read more now. :) 

• Like Like x 3
  17. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:

We've known for a while there'd be a murder in the first issue that'd be at the centre of things. And solicits have shown Rubble's not going anywhere.

Brainstorm's dead.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  18. Issy543

News Credits:
    Not saying it isn’t true, but I’ve not seen anyone complaining about it not being like More Than Meets The Eye/Lost Light.

If there are people who do make this complaint, then I’m afraid you’re being quite ridiculous. Not everything needs to be written or modelled after that series, and not everyone needs to be copying James Robert’s work. If you want more of his work, follow the writer, not the franchise.

Criticisms are fine, especially if they are constructive, but bashing isn’t.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to read this issue again, and adore Rubble some more.

• Like Like x 4
  19. TeamOptimus

It's probably a niche group, now that I think about it. I mostly interact with the TF fandom on Tumblr because I find a lot of great fanart, headcanons, speculation, stories, screen shots from comics, etc. (And a lot of funny content). There are entire blogs dedicated to my favorite characters like Optimus and Starscream. So, today, I went into the IDW2 tag because I just freakin wanted to talk about Rubble and Megatron and holy ish. The drama over Brian Ruckley's writing was unreal. People were posting ESSAYS on how terrible killing off this character was and how he was disrespecting the community.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Issy543

News Credits:
    I see. Well, hopefully here, people here are more willing to embrace different opinions. And it looks they are so far.

Well, I’m looking forward to Chromia and Prowl in the next issue!

One thing I’m wondering...are they going to continue having colonies or are they making it so that everyone is from Cybertron? Especially because those two characters have been referred as “Cybertronian police officers” (unless it’s just a rank/title).

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.