Transformers (2019-) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Issy543, Mar 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    Is it up on comixology? I can’t find it!

2. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I take back what I said in a previous thread. The art is fantastic. Very solid first issue.

EDIT: It's also no coincidence that the three preview pages I was critical of were apparently drawn by a different artist

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    Just read it. Honestly, there was pretty much only about six pages that weren't seen in previews, so I feel like I knew everything that happened bar the last bit, which diluted the "shocking revelation." And even that was 50% spoiled in previews.

I mean it's way too early to know if I'm into this series or not, but it didn't really grab me.

4. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    It was okay for a first issue. Could have done without that last page but it does the job of setting up the mystery going forward. I'm intrigued about this Termagax character, seems like she's going to be important.

5. Issy543

Issy543 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I liked the writing so far, and the art is pretty good. Definitely going to be following this series around.

As for who was murdered:

It was Brainstorm. I can definitely see some people getting mad...
    A5869106-BADF-4AB6-8E3E-D133E226884F.png

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    Headmaster process involved in future return? Pure speculation.

• Like Like x 13
  7. Issy543

Issy543 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I completely forgot he was a headmaster. That seems like he most plausible way for him to return.

You know what would be a plot twist; if he wasn’t murdered, but instead died because he tried to become a headmaster, but the process gave him significant injuries (I highly doubt this will happen though).

• Like Like x 3
  8. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Solid first issue if you ask me. I’m ready for more.

Though, I certainly didn’t expect the victim to be
    Brainstorm
    anything to grab people’s attention I guess....

• Like Like x 2
  9. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Tonight the streets are ours

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Not even remotely bothered that
    Brainstorm was murdered even if he stays dead. He was a fan favourite sure, with emphasis on was. This is not that Brainstorm. He wasn’t a fan fave I don’t think before MTMTE, so let’s make new ones of other previously more obscure characters.

• Like Like x 9
  10. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    I think there’s a lot of potential. It’s very very much a set up issue but it takes advatange if brand familiarity to skip some points, particularly with Orion and Megs. That said I’m not yet sold on some of the structure, the art coooooould be s but more solid and it’s such a set up issue it’s not really telling you what this 12 part opener is aiming to be. It’s a solid enough start but I think the reviews giving it 9s and 10s is a tad...hmmm

• Like Like x 5
  11. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out!

News Credits:
    Okay, here we go...!

First off, I think it's a pretty good idea to use Rubble as the audience identification character. He almost reminds me of a Doctor Who assistant - someone to ask questions the audience would ask, someone who's enthusiastic and excited (rather than jaded), someone for whom - like us - all this is new. Yes, it's a writing technique as old as the sun, but as a way to give information to the reader quickly and concisely, it works well. My one concern is that there's the potential for his wide-eyed wonder to become grating as the story progresses - there's a thin line between endearingly innocent and cloyingly annoying.

In terms of character choice, at the moment it's just the 'evergreen' regular cast plus Rubble at the moment. I'm hoping that, going forward, we'll see some other names who perhaps never got their time in the spotlight. Maybe Ruckley can do for Vroom and Inferno what Roberts did for Swerve and Brainstorm, and give some lesser-developed characters their time in the sun. I had a bit of trepidation when Brainstorm was mentioned (of all the G1 Transformers, why go back to someone who has already been 'done'?), so it was a nice surprise to see him be the sacrificial lamb. (Well, actually it wasn't much of a surprise if you'd read the solicitations and knew that someone was going to be murdered, but you know what I mean).

However, my main bugbear is that, well, we've seen much of this before. Megatron and Orion Pax are at opposite ends of the political discussion (although we don't yet know what Megatron's exact beef is yet), and we know there's going to be an uprising of some sort and that the war will begin as a result. Now, Ruckley might be able to put a new and interesting spin on things - he deserves the benefit of the doubt - but at the moment the concept is yet to grab me.

When Furman started the IDW ball rolling all those years ago, his idea of Infiltration and undercover Decepticons genuinely seemed like a brilliant new take, a breath of fresh air, something we'd never seen before. This, in comparison, just seems a lot safer, and entrenched in the status quo, from what I've seen so far. What's the use of a reboot if you're just going to re-tread old ground?

But there are many ways to skin a cat, and Ruckley could end up surprising me. It's difficult to judge how good a series is going to be from the first chapter alone (Encounter at Farpoint says hi). But surely the whole point of an episode one is to 'wow' people, to grab them, to get them tuning in to the next installment. The TV show Lost may have gone a bit crackers in the end, but that first episode had me on tenterhooks. I think back to issue 1 of MTMTE and remember being instantly pulled into that universe, and itching to read issue 2. This issue, though... my immediate thought is not, 'wow, I wonder what's going to happen next!', but rather 'huh, okay, I'll give it a few more issues, maybe it'll get better'.

Technically, it's... solid? While the Pax/Megatron conversation reads a bit stilted, the more freely conversational stuff between Rubble, Bee and Windblade shows that Ruckley has an ear for dialogue. There is a lot of set-up (the Titans are a Chekhov's Gun if ever I saw one), and the art is fine (helped, it most be said, by some lovely atmospheric colouring by Joanna LaFuente). The fact that there are two different artists is quite obvious: Cachét Whitman, who does the Prime/Megatron scene, draws the characters so on-model that you'd be forgiven for thinking that he's just tracing over photos of the actual toys, whereas Angel Hernandez, who does the Bee/Rubble/Windblade stuff, is more loose and dynamic, although the proof of the pudding will be in how they pull off action scenes.

My major gripe with the art is that there's a lack of emotion in the characters' faces. We all know that Milne/Roche/Lawrence can draw transformers that are extremely expressive, but even back in the day, Senior and Wildman could show you that Optimus Prime was emoting just by how they drew his eyes. There are just too many impassive stares here for my liking, I think.

I don't want to hate on this too much, because it's only the first issue and it might get a whole lot better. But at the moment, the best I can describe issue 1 is simply, 'mildly intriguing'. 2/5.

• Like Like x 16
  12. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Tonight the streets are ours

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Agree. Especially about Vroom!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my thoughts exactly

• Like Like x 1
  14. Notqr

Notqr Not Q R

I really loved the art, and the interesting dialogue about choosing a form and how that might relate to Transformer identity or what-not.
    I'm honestly sort of excited to see what alt. mode they give Bumblebee? Considering they're clearly trying to make this all look like Siege and they are probably not informed about his design as of yet. Maybe they'll just not give him one at all...

• Like Like x 2
  15. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Spoiler free thoughts:

It’s a good first issue. We can see already how Cybertron is different in this incarnation and see the start of the conflict. It sets up well the idea that we are witnessing an age of legends that is about to all fall apart.

I’m glad it’s scheduled for every two weeks. A lot of how this goes is going to hinge on what happens next. I’m hoping for a slow burn that reveals the cracks in society that bring us to the fall. And the narrow focus on a single murder gives a good starting point. The first issue was solid enough for me to stick around.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    It’s like reading your old blog again!

• Like Like x 9
  17. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

In terms of positives, this is already the best depiction of Bumblebee since Furman's era, for my money - except perhaps the period when he was a ghost. Having him as an awkward leader or mute sweetboi has never really worked for me. I like seeing him coming across as 'small but capable' again.

My opinion of the dialogue hasn't changed from the preview. It's fine - just fine. Nothing too egregious, characters have their own voices, but nowt that's particularly memorable yet. I feel similarly, perhaps a little less positively, about the art. It does its job. Everything is in the right place and easy to follow. It just doesn't really impress or delight me.

The plot is off to a slow start, with too much repetition of Rubble stopping to look at things, and Bumblebee making the same point about being late. I'd have preferred it if we'd cut straight from Windblade's arrival to the three of them arriving at their destination, and used those free pages to introduce more players. As it is, the whole issue feels like a stretched-out cold open in a detective serial, but with hardly any cast members. The segment with Prime and Megatron, which we've already seen in previews, is made boring by how predictable its end result is.

This is compounded by the opening crawl, which tells you where all this is going (familiar territory) and assumes some TF lore knowledge on the part of the reader. It beggars belief that after so many reboots, IDW still can't get their heads round the idea of actually starting from scratch. How hard is it to begin a comic without immediately going, "Hey, guys, remember what happened in that other Transformers series?"

• Like Like x 5
  18. Notqr

Notqr Not Q R

I've noticed Bumblebee has a strip of metal above his rear window (a vent?) and I'm wondering if this is inspired by the sticker that came on the original Diaclone toy (which also ended up being drawn in a bunch of early fiction, Marvel comics, etc)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a long shot, and out of place, but it's what that extra block most reminds me of.

• Like Like x 3
  19. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Using Rubble as a device to show us the world seems to have potential. I'll be curious to see if he becomes something more.

The issue felt light, it was three scenes. No issues with the dialogue or plot within the scenes. I think it would of been a better issue if another scene or plot point could of been fit in.

The joke on movie bumblebee was funny.

• Like Like x 2
  20. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

Two things, trying to remain spoiler free and vague:

1. I love that Rubble seems to be the new Hunter O'Nion, the loveable reader avatar. Definitely curious to see how his character develops, since it's not the most obvious yet.

2. I also love how aggressively non-Functionist this new world is. We go from IDW's old continuity where a group of zealots force people into a caste system based on their alt mode to this new Cybertron where you're free to shape your own destiny, and choosing your alt mode and life path is something celebrated. Let's see how that all comes crashing down!

There's potential here. The final page with the murder victim makes a nice, clear statement that this isn't the IDW Transformers we used to know. This is something different. So I'll happily wait and see where this goes!

• Like Like x 9
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.