Transformers (2019) #25

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Andersonh1, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    When I went back and re-read the early issues, I picked up on a lot that I had glossed over the first time. This is definitely a story that rewards one for re-reading. I ended up buying the first two collected volumes partly for that reason.

• Like Like x 2
  3. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    I was kind of hoping they'd move away from the 13 Primes thing and do something else with this universe's origin for the TFs...but that's Hasbro mandate at this point so it really shouldn't be a surprise.

Pretty satisfying issue, it's great to have all the slow buildup that people were complaining about finally start to pay off with some actual plot development.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gladius

Gladius Massive Tool

Twitter:
    Same here. I think that and Orion being the chosen one are forced upon the writers. Our hope is that Ruckley will bend this in a way that will make it feel original again as he did with so many other things so far.
    If a Hasbro employee is reading this I am now officially asking for a proper new Sentinel toy. There are enough Astrotrains out there you can even use as base for him without the head.

Speaking of it, the page before
    Sentinel dies feels so sad to me. At first he is proudly declaring that he is a PRIME (even talking with a different font, in red) and then he gets attacked, ionized, melted and after all of this and while he is being disintegrated alive he says it again but weakly and then dies. Combined with the prayer and the aforementioned signs in the background, the colors and drawings, this just kinda works the way it should I guess.

363863639.PNG

• Like Like x 7
  5. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    Ruckley did what other writers have not: made the loss of Sentinel Prime a tragic event.

• Like Like x 11
  6. Nova Maximus

News Credits:
    It might just be my hope for Optimus not being the chosen one again, but from what I got from the exchange is that when it was said that the Matrix has been waiting for it's "final bearer", I took as that it could be Optimus, or Optimus is simply the next one to take it, and weather or not he is the "chosen one" will be decided through his own actions. That is why he had the choice to reject the destiny and burden, something you generally can't do if you are destined to be the the true Prime. But that's what I took from it.

Another thing is that ever since the aligned continuity I generally don't like when concepts like Primus the Allspark etc are well known or generally known facts in a story, probably why I liked how IDW handled it, gave it a sort of mystery. But a combination of how the Matrix scene was written here and maybe also the fact Optimus won't remember most of what happened, but I really liked how it was handled here. Even found myself rereading the issue a few times cause I really enjoyed the issue.

And this might be a bit of wishful thinking, but maybe we can finally have a story expand on IT after all these years.
    IT.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  7. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    Also the Rainmakers being the ones to off Sentinel was pretty surprising. Could have chosen any of the A-list Decepticons for the part but they went for the Ascended Extra route instead. Nice way to mix things up and make the Rainmakers a serious threat.

• Like Like x 6
  8. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ooh, that’s an interesting theory.

• Like Like x 4
  9. JustAnotherCassette

JustAnotherCassette Lurker no more

Agree, that part was the only part of this issue that came across as “old” to me. I recall the previous IDW continuity leaned really heavily into this mythology in the later stages (and that’s where they kinda lost me cause I never really liked 13 Primes to begin with) so I hope they don’t tread that well-worn ground again. At least there was enough freshness in this issue that I’m more optimistic this writer will be able to put his own spin on 13 Primes.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Haunting Your Nightmares in HD

Yeah I can kinda get not being on board with the idea of the thirteen, especially since the majority of them are non-entities most of the time. But for what it's worth, Solus is the only named member of the group at this present moment and at least has a good reason for being mentioned, that being that she's the creator of the Matrix. The most direct reference to the group is that the Thirteenth has yet to rise - which is actually the most interesting part. They're usually portrayed as having all existed at the same time but this story indicates that the Thirteen doesn't refer to a single group that all coexisted with each other this time around.

• Like Like x 7
  11. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    At this point, I don't mind the thirteen so much, but I miss the vagueness of the origins of the species. Unless there is more to the matrix than meets the eye, we pretty much have Primus confirmation. I don't mind that too much tbh, but it stood out as a big deal in this issue. I really liked the pacing of this issue, it really feels like a lot has happened. Some issues I had with the dialogue but otherwise I dug it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

Can I ask is the story extra long or is there a few bonus pages at the back for this. Just wondering

13. Nova Maximus

News Credits:
    It's double sized. So extra long.

14. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    Sideswipe gets to show he's not all talk and bluster here as he runs into the line of fire to rescue Bumper and ends up wounded pretty badly in the process, but he gets the job done. At least I assume Bumper is still alive, even if he's lost an arm. Great scene. There's a lot of potential to show just what these characters are made of when they get put in extreme situations like that. Brawn taunting Laserbeak and Ravage as cowards was fun. I always enjoy a good "Brawn beats up Decepticons" scene. :D 

• Like Like x 6
  15. CaptainButtocks

CaptainButtocks Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I dropped the book after 24. Glad people enjoyed this issue and I hope that trend continues, but it's too little too late for me, after spending the best part of a hundred quid on this series (and galaxies) up til now for about three issues worth of story.

16. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    That’s my main problem. The book is spread too thinly. The same story told in less issues would have made it much more enjoyable. We didn’t need a ton of pointless backstory in those early issues that could easily have been cut for a more condensed story.

For a time it seemed like Ruckley really didn’t want to start the war or turn Orion Pax into Optimus Prime.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    This completely. Sentinel Prime was the star of this issue for me. He's a subtly holistic character. His wrath is what proves to be his undoing in the end, and even as he's giving his broken final words to Orion Pax-- mixed with his genuinely good faith in what the Autobots stand for, Peace-- we see this persisting to his last moments. This is exactly how I think Sentinel Prime should have been depicted, and I'm really glad Ruckley went down this route for the character. He's the leader of a faction which believes in peace, prosperity, and restraint, but the burden of leadership manifests into frustration, which has been building since he first landed back on Cybertron. The building frustrations in Sentinel's arc, beginning with the reports from Crosshairs and Prowl, to being accountable for everything that has happened, culminates into this final act of hubris which has resulted in his demise. Everything else in this issue frames his character so well, the burden of the Matrix, his final speech to Megatron, ultimately choosing to send a message to his people rather than fight Megatron on the advice of Ironhide, it makes for probably the best thought out version of the character that doesn't rely on sociological factors like xenophobia which characterized previous versions. At the very least, this is definitely the best G1-Sentinel Prime we've had.

The Poster in the background that reads: NOT FOR WEAK MACHINES

As Sentinel Prime struggles to assert his Primehood while shambling zombie-like following that acid attack.

This scene is delectable, my god.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 14
  18. Gladius

Gladius Massive Tool

Twitter:
    I can relate to be honest. I don't want my post to come off as anti anything but in my opinion Orion is rather problem than the solution. He has done nothing but preventing others from taking consequent actions against the uprising until it was way too late. He argued against having Soundwave arrested and storming his HQ earlier, when there was still a chance to set things right, he ignored reality in favor of not breaking up the friendship with a guy who is an indoctrinated populist by now and he never saved anybody so far or gave orders for reasonable actions IIRC, save for the one thing which was using Bee as a spy.

There is a reason for why this is the part that outrages Megatron as much as it does. It isn't just a betrayal in a friendship long since gone, it's that Megatron banked on Orion's inactivity when he planned his machinations against rest of the planet and that's the part Orion has betrayed. Though it's the only thing he did and it rather makes me sympathize with Bee than him, who is, by my definition, even closer to an acting main character than Orion is, despite breaking the law.
    In the end the scheming was obvious since the 'Con movement followed the rules of radicalization to a T: You focus on a problem, blow it out of proportion and ignore the context to keep complaining everyday until everybody sees you as the victim you are roleplaying as. And when the government gives you what you want or keeps ignoring harmful actions you didn't do but incite you go a step further, and then again till you complain about the very weakness of the state that allowed you to gain the power you hold in the first place. Some bots saw through this charade, but not actual main character.

And after everything that has happened and zero positive actions Orion has done even in this issue he steps up at the very end and to basically declares himself the hero. It just felt undeserved to me.
    I know it's forced to happen no matter what, so I don't blame the team. It's just the only part I didn't like about this arc. Sideswipe, Ironhide, Bumblebee, Nautica, even Sentinel, despite lacking the power of friendship, came off as better heroes than Optimus.

It's a character who is hard to write in a satisfying way though. I think the last Optimus I genuinely loved was the one Roberts has written. I never even actually disliked this one here though, it's just that I doubt having him in the focus defines whether the comic is interesting or not.

The background is awesome in this issue. If you look closely you will also see that the first panel of that page is showing a sign saying "HAPPY CYCLE", when the content was still something positive and Sentinel was punching an enemy away.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
  19. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Haunting Your Nightmares in HD

I feel like Orion's indecision and poor handling of the situation, leading to his finally stepping up after recognizing the failure of his methods, could really have been great - if it had been given as much focus as Bumblebee's activities or Megatron's rise to power. But Ruckley really leaned into making him the Chamberlain in this situation, trying to be a mediator of escalating tensions against increasingly extreme opposition. And that hurts his arc a lot.

• Like Like x 7
  20. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    I tend to agree, Orion has been fairly passive up to this point, apart from using Bumblebee to spy, as Gladius points out. He has not been the hero of the story, he's been "out of step with the times" as he himself admits back in one of the early issues, trying to work within the system and appeal with reason and memories of friendship to Megatron, who is obviously (to the reader) far too radical for that at this point. He's been reacting rather than trying to get out in front of the situation. The question is, will that change now that he's solely in charge, now that he's the Prime? I think it has to, and I would expect a change in characterization for Optimus Prime going forward. It could be that it takes wartime for Prime's leadership talents to really manifest themselves.

• Like Like x 8