Transformers (2019 -) #19

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Issy543, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Quite a lot of sub-plots within this issue:
    • Megatron has ordered Soundwave to basically be quarantined, as he fears the Autobots May kill him, should he be captured. He also makes Soundwave make Elita-1 be removed from power, and makes Skytread the leader of the Ascenticons.
    • Bumblebee chats to Chromia, via telecoms, and updates her of the situation. He is told to dig through the rubbles, and fines a dead bot, and feels somewhat traumatised.
    • Sentinel Prime ignores Orion Pax’s pled, and says that as long as he has the Matrix, he will decide what is best; he also says Ultra Magnus will be his successor as his prime (yeah right...)
    • Bumblebee is ambushed, and is nearly killed, but is saved by Chromia.
    • Windblade is a part of the Colonial Security, which also has Smokescreen and Springer; the team of 8 is being sorted into 4 pairs.
    • Shockwave, wondering what has happened to Vilgilem, finds out from Sixshot what Megatron is doing. He is shocked (pun intended).
    Moments from this issue:
    8C8DD0FF-7DC8-42D2-A19D-E66D27046104.png
    F2A9A814-F5E0-48BE-A47F-3FB142ED8E5A.png
    828972D6-0A4D-43BE-8CC1-21B7451FDDBB.png
    2285511E-8FF3-467C-A539-31EDB6AA643D.png
    52F0166C-0612-4887-90AF-A86256AB3DB8.png
    761D9A84-620F-4CCB-88E4-3F85C719FBA8.png
    9D7A8BAE-B11C-41DC-B978-4B85F56B42B8.png
    0365E40D-C4A7-42F0-A969-3A2CCABD0859.png
    A decent action scene, and things are being slotted in place for something big to happen. This arc could be were the domino effects occur...

• Like Like x 7
  2. kmc

kmc Well-Known Member

Omg I laughed so hard seeing that Bumblebee scene.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Lionheart

Lionheart Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This issue was a blast from beginning to end. I don't have much to say that's coherent at this time and I'd rather leave serious discussion and questions for when more conversations are had during daylight. But for now I'll ask this,

IS SHOCKWAVE SUPPOSED TO BE COMIC RELIEF?
    I'm serious about this. The last page made me laugh and I'm not sure if it was supposed to? From his introduction, Shockwaves blunt way of speaking along with his facial expressions have read and looked so cartoonishly evil -and not cartoonishly evil in the way G1 Megatron is- I mean cartoonishly evil in a way that is specifically satirical of super villains. Personally I love the characterization because it contrasts so much with the other 3 in Decepticon high command.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Not Blitzwing

Not Blitzwing Silverbolt Retool

News Credits:
    This was a fun issue. It was great to see so many deep cuts/obscure characters.
    The Rainmakers, Battleslash & Roadtrap, Catgut, Treadshot, even GoBots' Crasher.

So Dai Atlas is now in the IDW2 continuity. Let's hope he doesn't die like a punk in IDW1.[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Good issue! I was waiting for this kind of stuff to start happening for the past little while. Love Novastar's squad, love how it has finally sunk in to Bumblebee that his son is dead, love Chromia's big damn hero moment. I also love that we weren't assaulted with too many new characters either.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    he's immersant, which means his body is being reabsorbed by the planet. for all intents and purposes he is dead

• Like Like x 3
  7. Not Blitzwing

Not Blitzwing Silverbolt Retool

News Credits:
    Man, Dai Atlas is always getting the short end of the stick.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good issue. I really liked the exchange between Sentinel and Orion Pax.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I think he is still as alive as Codexa is at least. I figure he’ll be something like a sage in a cave if we get to meet him

• Like Like x 1
  10. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Haven't read it yet but Spoilers never bother me. Looking at the pics in the first post, despite the character model not looking too like the toy, and we see him from the back, I recognised or hoped it was Treadshot and Catgut in that scene. I loved their Actionmaster toys as a kid.

Treadshot was only a background character in the Marvel G1 comic and was killed pretty quickly in the first IDW continuity in Last Stand of the Wreckers.

Oh yes, he died quickly in Regeneration too.

Anyway, I'm off to track down this issue.

• Like Like x 2
  11. battlefudge

battlefudge Still in the biz...

This was a really decent issue. In fact, the word I would use is "believable"
    Megatron is forced to become a tyrannical leader because the situation keeps pushing him that direction. It was not his intent, but Jihaxus, Shockwave and his cabal of terrible people are forcing him to do it. I love that.
    For maybe the first time in an IDW series I really liked Orion Pax. He was ahead of the curve, understood his people, understood the situation, understood the responsibility of the Primes... I was rooting for him!
    I love deep cut TFs. Lots in this issue. I would really love more of a mix from different series, but we are doing ok.
    I think I am liking the slow burn these writers are establishing. As long as there are some great payoffs.

• Like Like x 8
  12. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Maybe the current climate irl is what's informed my opinion but I think the tether falling turned out to be a pretty decent pay off to the events building up to it. It genuinely feels like a big deal, even if it isn't quite as huge as a warzone, or killswitch, or anything like that. You definitely get the sense of newfound chaos that Ruckley is commanding here. Combine that with Bumblebee's story of grief and it really does feel like the stakes, both emotional and physical, have gone up a bit.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    and none of that would have had near as much impact without the slow burn in my opinion. its like the 1st season of agents of shield, it was honestly pretty crap until they hit the winter soldier tie it material, after that it was amazing but it also needed that build up and world building for the hydra reveal to have the impact that it did

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Lionheart

Lionheart Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I strongly agree with this. People were always clammering for the chaos and violence right out of the gate but there would not have been this degree and sense of impending doom if that were the case.

• Like Like x 9
  15. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Another commendable issue, even if my major criticisms of the series remain: new characters are introduced in a scattershot way, but they're nearly all generic cops and thugs. None of the characters really stand out as big personalities, with the possible exception of Megatron, who is starting to come into his own now that he's making significant decisions.

But I agree that events, and people's reactions to them, are well-handled, and the dialogue is sharp enough to convey a lot of decisions being made in a short time-frame.

Generally agree with this, but don't think it excuses the earlier books being boring and far too slow. It's not that we needed to get to this particular point sooner, or that the books should have come out guns blazing, but that the build-up needed to cover a lot more ground and be a lot more interesting. More civilian perspectives and better developed characters would only have enhanced the effect at this point. It almost feels as if Ruckley was artificially stretching out those earlier issues (Prowl feeding his pet bird? A whole issue to establish that Nautica is good at her job?) in order to generate the impact that these last two issues have succeeded in delivering.

• Like Like x 6
  16. TeamOptimus

TeamOptimus Well-Known Member

DANG. Orion sure got dressed the hell down. Right in front of Ironhide, too. It’s sad because he’s been trying over and over to make things right and he comes up with good plans, but Sentinel and Megatron are arrogant dunderheads.

• Like Like x 2
  17. returner

returner Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not seen anyone commenting on Blades' appearance in this issue. Normally they go for toy design, but he looks nothing like the Combiner Wars toy. They gone for the Rescue Bots look or something?

18. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    No, I wanted a decent written book right out of the gate worth the cover price per issue.

Ruckley is a novelist by trade, not a comic book writer. While it’s fine to have those slower paced calmer moments in a novel, those same moments just seem a waste of time when in comic book form.

• Like Like x 1
  19. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

Why is Sentinel Prime an arrogant megalomaniac in all his recent iterations? I get he really didn’t have a ton of prior screen time, but IDW Primes are such jerks. What happened to the Sentinel Prime OP used as a standard?

That said, I did like the subtle play on the norm between of where UM and OP fall in the pecking order. I keep thinking of OP’s death scene in the ‘86 movie and his “just a soldier” comment. That’s even better if they are brothers here too.

And how many generals are there? Do we have a full list of them yet? Obsidian hasn’t showed up yet....

20. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

Do you like anything of the new IDW?

• Like Like x 2