Transformers (2019 -) #18

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Issy543, Mar 10, 2020.

1. colky7

colky7 Well-Known Member

I'm no expert and the extent of my knowldge is no farther than being very interested in futurism, space, astrobiology along the lines of the Khardashev type civilisations, but from what i have heard i think it would probably depend. The concept of the tether bears a lot of similarity to spac elevator concepts - which are very real possible concepts for the not too distant future (as in within a few hundred years, though probably not connected to an object of the mass we see in this story). There are several schools of thought but virtually all those who've done the serious maths (incl. NASA so not just sci-fi) seem to talk about anything stretching from the earth to space would have to have a fair degree of flexibity in order to have any chance of working. Whether it would be as flexible as depicted here is beyond my knowledge but as far as i'm aware its as likely to be more rope like in flexibility than a solid tower due to a number of massive forces exerted on such a device. Most of the thinking indicates things like multi layers of nano fibre carbon materials are the most hopeful avenue for somthing strong enough to make the idea work (nothing we're currently able to make is strong enough but there are promising improvements according to some). This way would allow some flexibility but the amount of it (just small amount or so rope like it would wrap around the planet) is AFAIK anyone's guess at present. For me the biggest problem with the whole tethered moon concept was its enourmous mass as holding the two ends together to the ground of planet and moon would take enourmous strength unless a clever way to use gravity could be thought of, but a natural unattached satellite orbits with gravity in a different way tohow this would work i think....

• Like Like x 2
  2. pluto

pluto Well-Known Member

This was my understanding also! Mind you I'm not up to date on the comics. Isn't this why gundam uses Lagrange points for a lot of its orbitals instead of space elevators? Perhaps what we're seeing is a mix of ultra flex and strength future materials with Lagrange points? I a man by no means a science person, just a science fiction person.

3. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Haven't looked at the latest stats, but I'm getting the impression there's been a big drop-off in readers. Maybe it's just this site, or maybe I'm projecting - since I'm kind of only just hanging in there myself.

I mean, one page into this comments thread and the one thing we've got to excitedly speculate about is space physics? I'm not knocking that as a topic - I've enjoyed the posts. But it seems like there's maybe not that much else to say?

4. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We have another forum that's been tracking the sales for this series:

Transformers (2019) comic by the numbers.

While the sales has declined overtime, except for issue #15, it's still managed to retain it's readers better than some of the previous Transformers titles.

I think the reason there isn't a lot to talk for this issue is because it's a spotlight that is setting up the next story arc for Galaxies. I think though that the next story arc in this main series will have a lot of content, especially since it looks like it won't be long until the civil war begins...

5. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

To be honest, I don't really know what to say about the issue, mainly because I'll just end up talking about what I didn't like about it.

I like seeing the tether falling from the perspective of those on Cybertron, the chaos unfolding on the streets and the blockade at the ship, and I like the idea of Arcee and Greenlight having to race against a world descending into chaos to get Gauge to the only ship that can take her off-world and to safety (or so they believe). There was some nice family camaraderie too.

The problem is that most, if not all, of the tension and drama is removed by how relatively easily Arcee overcomes the obstacles in their way. I mean, she straight-up takes a shot to the face and is completely fine afterwards, barring a few scratches that you are likely to not notice. All of the problems are solved by brute force and the characters aren't left worse for wear for it: Arcee only ends up with superficial injuries, for example. Also, Gauge gets shot, but she's also fine.

There's also not much to talk about in regards to the characters. For example, Arcee's pretty much stuck in one mode: she's determined to get Gauge to the ship no matter what. Gauge is your typical kid character and Greenlight's your typical other parent character. Since we haven't really spent time with any of them, what we see here doesn't contrast with anything we've seen from them before so it doesn't add to the characterization or show them in a different light.

None of them are necessarily bad characters; they're not unlikable or anything; their characterization just don't warrant conversations and nothing that happens in the story invites discussions about them. For example, Arcee doesn't have to make any tough moral choices where you're left debating if she could have done something better or the impossibility of her then-situation. You don't reflect over how suddenly their lives were changed or how Gauge lost her childhood and was thrust into adulthood in less than an hour because of war and how her relationship to Arcee has changed because she's seen a different side of her kind-hearted mentor that shows she'll prioritize Gauge at the cost of the lives of others, challenging all the lessons of altruism and togetherness that Arcee and Greenlight has tried to instill in her.

I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad issue; just that I think that, no matter whether you think it is a good or bad issue, there isn't a whole lot to talk about it. It's a very simple and very straightforward story with very simple and very straightforward characters.

It's showing the fall-out of the last issue on a ground-level as well as how it affects one family, and that's it.

If you like stories that are simple and straightforward with characters to match, you'll probably enjoy this issue, and if you don't then you might want to skip it.

As a personal note, I felt Arcee's badassery was significantly lessened by how easily she walks away from every fight. This sort of thing works best, in my opinion, when someone manages to reach the goal in spite of their injuries rather than because they sustained none (or very minor ones)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    arcee was more sad and mopey in 3h's comics, not funpubs. those are the ones where daniel and wheelie blew themselves up to kill an army of nightbirds

7. caecae22

caecae22 Fifth Face of Darkness

Twitter:
    I was a bit late getting to read this one but I really enjoyed the issue and wanted to mention Umi Miyao's internal art, I believe I've only seen her do covers before but the interior art that she did was really great in my opinion, hope she does more in the future. Also found the story refreshing, it felt like some things were happening unlike a lot of previous issues with a nice mixture of action and dialogue.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Pretty much agreed on all of this. I do think there is some complexity to the trio's dynamic that was kind of shunted to the side in favor of the action. Mainly just the way Arcee lashes out at anything that might upset Gauge, whereas Greenlight more or less tells her the straight facts. Yes, she was born as a response to Brainstorm's death, and although this trouble's Gauge, Greenlight sees telling her the truth to be more important that keeping her feelings unhurt. Also notice Greenlight only tells her this when Arcee is absent. I don't think it's an amazingly complex dynamic, but it was technically the highlight of the issue for me, since it told us the philosophies of these characters somewhat, although I don't think we got enough of it.

I think I am agreeing that I'm not especially into Arcee being depicted this way, and that it affected the book's stakes to a certain degree. From the cover I was expecting Greenlight and Gauge to have to leave Arcee behind-- the opening argument seemed to set this up somewhat, and it would give Arcee a bit of an arc afterwards, but I know Galaxies probably requires all three characters to appear. I don't mind Arcee having a chip on her shoulder, or being able to fight, although having her get shot a bunch of times and just shrug it off when the people working in security kind of just hid and provided cover fire did feel like a bit much.

But then, I'm also not a fan of how most of the characters in this series are either security or ex-military, and therefor all know how to fight. If Arcee and Greenlight were just civilians through and through then this issue would have had a lot more weight.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NanakoPreame

NanakoPreame Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Was Greenlight confirmed to be ex-military? I know this issue says Arcee fought in the previous war, but nothing about Greenlight.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lionheart

Lionheart Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Greenlight says she's never seen the types of guns being utilized but then goes on to imply that Arcee has. I think she's a regular civilian through and through, a xenobiologist.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    No Greenlight is xenorelations. There are a few of those as well yeah.

12. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

But there is something to say! "This book f ing sucks."

Repeat it after me. Then... don't buy it! Eventually IDW and Hasbro will get the picture and fire the "creative" staff.

Then maybe we can have a return to mtmte form.

13. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    Arcee is ok so far but her relationship with Greenlight like the last one just lame once again including over the years

14. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    If this is about your Optimus/Arcee OTP, then no.

15. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    Still Arcee by this point is not good so far the toys are good

16. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    ‘86 movie and 80s cartoon Arcee was the best Arcee. Not too girly, not too tough. Just right.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SonicGX98

SonicGX98 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Really like this issue! It's nice to see Arcee keep most of her 2005 personality but see that applied to give her more of a mentor role this time around. It's great to see Gauge and Greenlight fleshed out more as characters, and I can't wait to see what's in store for them next in Galaxies 7-8!

Also, for anyone who's fans of Jojo, artists Coralus included her TF versions of Josuke and Rohan in this issue!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  18. NanakoPreame

NanakoPreame Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Not Minicon Koicichi and Rohan. One job.

19. anonymous12

anonymous12 Banned

The parent/child relationship was cute.

• Like Like x 1