Transformers (2019 - ) #15

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Issy543, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Happy new year/decade! Time to kick it off with this issue. And man, there’s quite a lot hat happens here:

• The story takes place in three different moments. One in Megatron’s past, and the other two in the present, for he Autobot and Decepticons.
    • So Megatron began as a miner, then a fighter, and then a solider. We get to see a lot of cameos from some bots. Also, Megatron once saw Exarchon, and we are shown the aftermath of the war.
    • Orion Pax reveals to Bumblebee that Barricade may also be responsible for Rumble’s death, since he passed on information to the Rise. And Chromia believes there’s enough evidence to prove Frenzy killed Brainstrom, and that since was Soundwave’s sidekick, he would also be involved as well. Sentinel Prime, as a result, authorities more extreme use of force, and wants Soundwave captured.
    • Oh, and Megatron beats the living hell out of Shockwave, and claims to be leader.
    Highlights:
    E90AB0AF-40C6-44F9-B80A-C23E91D0DB36.png

48A12476-B8A4-4F1E-AF5D-A94B568CA03E.png

491E0927-A244-47F6-AB94-5050118EFF46.png

59FD12F7-96CA-4AB6-93D9-8D567150109F.png

289F01E8-D493-4EAF-A09E-9580DEC3D7A9.png

Overall, the art duo continues to do a great job in this series, and there’s a lot of content to unravel from this issue.

• Like Like x 9
  2. TeamOptimus

TeamOptimus Well-Known Member

this was the first time there was some legit menace from Megatron. Especially when he’s just calmly talking and casually strolling around, examining things around the room before totally losing it.

Not as much backstory for him as I hoped, though. And is it just me or is this version of Megatron not really so much megalomaniacal/power hungry, but more intensely dedicated to this idealized version of Cybertron to the point of madness? It feels like his motivations are less about him as an individual and more about pushing for Termagax’s vision. I’d like to see more of his inner life I guess. Can’t tell if he’s actually sincere about just wanting Cybertronians to have more freedom/be ambitious again or what. It seems like he doesn’t actually want war or is he just telling people what they want to hear.

Only real complaint: I wish this series as a whole focused on Orion more. There’s interesting conflict going on with him (esp where Sentinel is concerned), but we barely see it. I’d like to know what drives him. How he feels about the Nominus edict. If he wants to compromise. Sentinel and Megatron refuse to listen to him and he almost doesn’t seem comfortable with being assertive (so maybe that’s going to be his arc).

Sorry that was long as hell. There’s a lot of drama going on with the characters that I’d like to see explored.

Anyway, entertaining issue. Great art. I’m glad Anna and Beth are here to stay.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  3. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Megatron's school of directly applied logic is hard to argue with.

• Like Like x 11
  4. SuperTitanHans

SuperTitanHans Upgraded TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Bit too much exposition/recapping in the first half for my taste, but given the long wait from the last issue it was somewhat helpful.

Basically, it was a hugely important and transformational installment for Megatron where he really steps up to become a leader (in the way we all expect of him) for the first time. For all of the criticism that this book gets from some corners, it was really well done because they really depicted it as a clear and deliberate decision. Very evolutionary for his character.

I’m sure we’ll see a similar moment from Pax in the next few issues.

I also liked how they tied into Galaxies.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Why does Megatron only have one red eye on the cover? Looks a bit weird.

6. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    *sees Megatron beat up Shockwave*

Look how they massacred my boy

• Like Like x 4
  7. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    That issue was bad ass! I loved the “You two stand there and do not move.”

• Like Like x 5
  8. TeamOptimus

That whole scene was tense. I really dug it. Megatron is legitimately unnerving and even more fanatical than I realized. The way he switches from calm philosophical talk to orders/threats to violent rage and back to calm again...perfect.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree. To me that was very strategic, a way to put the radicals in his fold to bare. Reminds me of Infiltration when he beat Starscream, but much more of a spectacle for Shockwave’s people to see; and All Hail Megatron when he expresses the need for having monsters to do what needs to be done. It seems that Shockwave, in this universe, is one of those monsters.

Also did anyone feel like the “I will not be brought down by your longing for chaos” was a fun jab at IDW1’s Shockwave. Like this Megatron won’t be putting up with that bull :lol ?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  10. Lionheart

Lionheart Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Love this analysis. Honestly I think anyone who calls themselves the "solution" and has a savior complex with 0 humility is probably verging on madness. Others have pointed it out above but the way he can so easily shift from calm and collected to EXTREME violence is proof of it in my opinion. He may have good intentions but like you said, that vision combined with his savior complex will inevitably drive him to insanity. He's willing to kill to get what he wants and I think that will make him slip.

• Like Like x 8
  11. AntiEterniaHEMAN

AntiEterniaHEMAN Active Member

Man, this is some high level stuff. I guess the new IDW comics really are picking up the pace huh.

• Like Like x 3
  12. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Is this the part where the scrap hits the fan or is this just the beginning of the scrap hitting the fan?

And holy scrap about Megatron pounding and ripping Shockwave a new one! Got me thinking of Vincent D'Onofrio as Kingpin at his most angry, even if I’m the only one making that connection.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Lionheart

News Credits:
    Forgot to mention it but is nobody going to bring up how Slipstream and Sixshot might be the most useless lieutenants ever. They just stood there because Megatron asked them to.

14. SuperTitanHans

News Credits:
    I think that misses the point. It’s a demonstration of Megatron’s power. That’s true power - when someone complies with your every instruction (whether out of fear, or respect or a combination of the two, which is probably the case here). Remember Megs was also fully charged up with Energon while (I think) they mention that Shockwave’s team has been deprived.

• Like Like x 6
  15. TranslucentBag

TranslucentBag Definitively "Graph Guy"

Ebay:
    Why is no one talking about the really creepy part of this story: namely the line where Megatron states that Exarchon ran across someone or something out in deep space that essentially drove him mad? That’s the little world building tid-bits that I love. Was it Unicron? The Quintessons? Some indescribable eldritch horror?

• Like Like x 7
  16. Lionheart

News Credits:
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was the Quintessons. Think about it. Exarchon became a single entity with three bodies that could act independently. I know the Quints are technically one body with three heads and different minds but you get the idea.

• Like Like x 8
  17. SuperTitanHans

News Credits:
    What if this book is not, actually, bad but is in fact really good?

Here’s the section:

5510309C-F8E8-4FA7-9070-9F02354D72A0.png

• Like Like x 9
  18. TeamOptimus

yeah exactly. He’s completely unbalanced (Orion even called him out on it earlier in one of my favorite mood whiplash scenes from Megs lmao). His desire for a peaceful solution isn’t going to last long once he gets exposed. He cracks way too easily.
    I’d still like to know WHY he’s like this. I get being upset about the way the Nominus edict was handled, but what made him so obsessed with expansionism and stuff like that to the point where he’s unable to take a more nuanced approach? Was it a side effect of Termagax being his mentor? I feel like there’s a lot about him that’s unexplained. Hope there’re more flashbacks and time to explore his motivations a little bit more.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Hemanguy

Hemanguy Active Member

I re read all fifteen issues last night. When I read them all together this went from a good book to an epic story. The time in between issues let’s the mind forget stuff that was throw away in earlier issues. For example in an early issue Bumble tells Rubble that long ago two boys jumped from the moon elevator. I few issues later Megatron and Pax do it in a flashback, this never connected with me with the original readings as I forgot all about that line in between issues. Watching the world building has been great, stuff I thought was weird or didn’t make sense became a lot more clear while reading as awhile. Looking very forward to next issue!

• Like Like x 12
  20. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    WOW.

This is EASILY the best Megatron portrayal we have EVER gotten.

Something strange about what Exarchon said to Megatron on the battlefield... IDK. Do you think Megatron may have been corrupted somehow, even in that moment? He's so close to being a reasonable person but it's like a little nudge too far. What is that moment was that nudge?

My money is on Unicron corrupting exarchon. although I suppose the quintessons make just as much sense. Especially if their goal was to sow internal Discord and weaken the cybertronian race for Conquest. But then again, if Unicron is responsible, he might not even care about Conquest per se, Unicron is an Eldritch horror -- like robo-Cthulhu -- so contact with it inherently drives you insane.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 5