Transformers (2014) "Classic" Legion Class Grimlock and Strafe out

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Nevermore, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Strafe and Grimlock have been found at Sainsbury's stores in the UK, first here by phantomfish:

All three have also been spotted at Family Dollar by Transfan2, SG-Roadbuster and Mizzinno:
    http://transfan2.deviantart.com/art/My-Haul-Pics-581-Thurs-09-25-2014-001-484591442
    http://sg-roadbuster.tumblr.com/post/99610268074/found-aoe-legion-strafe-he-was-at-a-family
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ds-class-grimlock-strafe-found-us-retail.html

These have been seen in packaging before, but these are the first sightings for these markets as far as I'm aware.

The first wave (Optimus Prime, Bumblebee and Starscream) is a "market six" exclusive in the US and has been found at Dollar General and Family Dollar stores, but is sold at general retail in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, Germany, Hungary and Poland (and probably other European markets too). They're virtually everywhere here.

While these figures come in packaging resembling the general Age of Extinction packaging style (and European online store listings and in-store price tags refer to them as "Age of Extinction" or "Movie 4"), they lack the AOE logo and are simply "Transformers", just like the Hasbro Toy Shop/San Diego Comic-Con exclusive Dinobots four-pack and the Protectobots multi-packs. The Hasbro.com website listings identify them as "Classic".

Megatron is a re-release of Universe (2008) Legends Class Megatron, who is for some reason also missing from both the listings at Hasbro.com, and the initial UK sighting. The package art is recolored from the Generation Legends Class Megatron/Chop Shop two-pack's package art, still with the black and yellow "physical hazards" safety markings.

Grimlock is a redeco of Beast Hunters Legion Class Rippersnapper, Strafe is a redeco of Beast Hunters Legion Class Windrazor. Both use recolored IDW cover artwork as their package art (More than Meets the Eye #8 cover RI for Grimlock, Rage of the Dinobots #2 cover RI-A for Strafe).

Further weirdness: The back of the packaging advertises Strafe to include Windrazor's crossbow, and Grimlock to include Beast Hunters Commander Optimus Prime's sword, whereas the actual figures don't include any weapons. (The weapons are also mentioned in the Hasbro.com website listings: Strafe "comes with crossbow", Grimlock "comes with sword".) Also, the instructions are entirely wrong, they are for Beast Wars Terrorsaur (redecoed as Strafe for the Walmart/Asda exclusive Strafe/Bumblebee two-pack) and Energon Cruellock (redecoed as Grimlock for the Walmart/Asda exclusive Grimlock/Optimus Prime two-pack).

Grimlock is not to be refused with the other "Grimlock" redeco of Rippersnapper, which sports a different deco, does come in actual "Age of Extinction"-branded packaging and is exclusive to Walmart stores in the US, exclusive to Asda stores in the UK, exclusive to Big W stores in Australia and exclusive to Müller drug stores in Germany.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I'm looking at these in my local Sainsbury's right now, and have realised the transformation instructions on the cardbacks are for completely the wrong toys! They're for the Cruellock and Terrorsaur moulds, i.e. what Walmart/Asda two-pack Grimlock and Strafe are made from.

3. Nevermore

News Credits:
    phantomfish said so in his original sightings post, and I also pointed this out in my initial post in this thread.

4. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Oh, heh, that'll teach me to read things.

The turquoise paint apps on Strafe's wings are gorgeous. I want an entire figure that colour...

5. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    Great, I'd wish My Sainsburys would stock them in, I was there yesterday and they only had the Generations OP, BB and SS, with One step OP and Grimlocks everywhere.

6. Nevermore

News Credits:
    I definitely want these. There are basically only two ways this can possibly end:

1) They will flood the shelves and pegs just like the wave 1 figures
    2) They will never show up in Germany, and I end up having to import them.

There will be no middle ground.

7. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    Any weapons with these guys?

8. Nevermore

News Credits:
    The weapons are also mentioned in the Hasbro website listings.

I guess it's the same situation as with wave 1's Optimus Prime and Starscream, who are shown in their European online store stock photos to feature Motormaster's sword and Thundercracker's null rays just like the 2012 Dollar store releases.

The decision not to include any weapons with these figures must have been made very late in the game.

9. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    D'oh. Expected a G1 Grimlock in Legion class. Should have known better :( 

10. Nevermore

News Credits:
  11. Nevermore

News Credits:
  12. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd like the Megatron.... but it's so similar to the Universe and previous Big Lots version that even I might consider it safe to skip!

13. Nevermore

News Credits:
  14. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Strafe and Grimlock now also at Tesco stores in the UK, Megatron now also at Family Dollar stores in the US.

15. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

Legion Strafe and Grimlock are available in Wilkos in the UK too. Didn't see any of their wave-mates.

16. Nevermore

News Credits:
    They're very obviously general retail releases just like the Optimus Prime/Bumblebee/Starscream wave.

Grimlock and Strafe are listed on the UK Toys"R"Us website now. No sign of Megatron there either.

Megatron appears to be very obviously missing from the UK release for whatever reason.

17. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

This is good news for those who live in the UK