Transformers 1986 (original cut?)

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Simon Mashirito, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Simon Mashirito

Simon Mashirito Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

I have a question for anyone that is old enough to remember the original Transformers movie that came out way back in 1986. Does anyone remember a cut of the movie that had significantly more gore and dialog? I would very much like a copy of it.

I know there are versions of the movie that has Ultra Magnus getting ripped apart by the Sweeps, uncut versions, and a trailer that shows a significant amount of footage that didn't make it to the film, but those aren't what I'm talking about.

I bought the re-release VHS back in 2005(?), and to my surprise, it seemed like the movie was more tame than I remember. I've since bought two different "uncut" versions of the movie(Shout Factory version and an older dvd release) but they were both the same version as the VHS. I've been looking for this "original cut" of the film and I have not been able to find a version that I remember. It could be that I'm just remembering it wrong and that I'm embellishing on my memories from my childhood, but there are a couple of points that make me certain that I am right and there is at least, at one point, a more violent version of the movie.

For one, during the opening scene when the Decepticons were slaughtering the Autobots, I remember vividly that Ironhide had more dialog before getting blown away by Megatron. Something to the effect of "you won't get away with this", or "I will stop you even if it costs my life". I also remember seeing Ironhide's grotesque face as it was broken and destroyed, and let me tell you, that SCARRED me for life as I was very young at the time. Even though they're robots, it was still a very traumatizing scene for me, because it was a cartoon that was very near and dear to my heart and the concept of transformers dying was inconceivable to me before watching this. You don't forget when your favorite characters die when you're young...

Next point is that a lot of key scenes from later dvd/blu ray releases seems to be missing some dialog. Specifically, when Optimus Prime fights Megatron, when Megatron meets Unicron, and when Kup and Hot Rod meets Kranix.

The Megatron vs Optimus scene is a little more concrete proof that there might be another version of the film out there. When Optimus says, "that's a question you should ask yourself, Megatron" and then they cut to Megatron lowering his canon and says, "no, I'll crush you with my bare hands", it feels like a bad edit. Optimus is even standing up as he says his line when he was already standing the scene before. I believe there use to be more dialog and fighting leading to Megatron aiming his fusion cannon at Optimus. Prompting him to say something along the lines of "lets fight one on one without weapons" or "go ahead and shoot".

The next two scenes are more of the same. It feels like the conversation between Unicron and Megatron was significantly edited because it doesn't seem like a natural flow of dialog. For example when Megatron says "show yourself", Unicron's reply was "I have summoned you here for a purpose". Watching that for the first time in over a decade was jarring.

Lastly, when Kranix was being dragged away into the Sharkticon pit, Kup says, "...but in end, I wish for that." In the later releases, he just says that without context. The whole meeting between the three lasted about 10 seconds before Kranix was dragged away and I am certain that there were significantly more exposition leading up to that point.

I have asked around and people have told me that they have reedited the movie because of complaints from parents, but it doesn't make sense that the uncut versions would be like this too. I have also heard speculation that the original footage just degraded overtime and the footage is lost forever. That seems like a more plausible claim and that might explain why I can't seem to find a single piece of media to support me.

I apologize for rambling for so long, but it's been over 2 decades and I just want some closure on the matter. The movie and the G1 Transformers in general were a big part of my childhood. If anyone else have also seen this version of the movie or know of where I can find a copy of it, please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Collectotron

Collectotron Dreadwind aficionado

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I can answer three of these

1.The reason Optimus is shown standing back up when he confronts Megatron is because it was originally planned for Dirge to jump Optimus who then beat and threw Dirge and the scene continues.

2.Kup never said "but in the end I wish for that" he said "not the end I wish for lad which makes complete sense with the other dialogue.

3.The exposition with Kranix was never longer I remember watching the movie when I was younger and it seemed like such a long film (in a good way I still love this film) that's because when your younger you don't really have a good sense of time so it's probably why you thought it was longer .

Also:

The scene of Magnus being torn apart never made it past the storyboard stage as it was deemed to violent.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

The mind plays funny tricks

• Like Like x 1
  4. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime Space Ranger

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The bad edits are probably because it's a poorly scripted/edited (if enjoyable) film...

With the time, effort and money that goes into animation and the film's modest production, you can rest assured that pretty much everything that was "cut from the film" was never animated in the first place.

5. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy The Man With No Shame

Is there a theatrical version, that is lost forever?

6. Primeultra

No
    The DVD is the theater release

• Like Like x 3
  7. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The theatrical release had the word shit in it. When Spike realized the bombs that he and Bumblebee didn’t work on Unicron, he said “Oh Shit! What are we going to do now?” On the VHS they omitted that line to make it PG. When the DVD was released they added the word shit back in to give us the full theatrical release. The only time you get to learn of a mention of the extended death scene for ultra Magnus was in storyboards in the comics extras on the DVD for the 20th anniversary DVD release(I believe) There has never been any other cuts of the movie. You may remember the extras from that 20th anniversary release.

8. mirage426

mirage426 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I saw the Movie in the theater in 1986, when I was a kid, and I still swear there were some different things. I actually Thought I saw an early screening or something because whenever I talked to anyone who did see it, we had some "they didnt see, or hear that" moments. I don't know if it was the theatre I went to, but Unicron sounded more menacing with a deeper metallic grumble to his voice. Also, when I got the vhs, it seemed different, too. NOONE has seen, or even heard of the behind the scenes special promo I saw on our local news at the time. It was the first time Ive ever seen the split screen where they show the voice actors recording lines in the studio and matching it up with the finished scene. It was one of the only times I watched the news "with the adults", cause I was waiting to see "the cartoon thing".
    My crazy theories were proven true when They played the movie on broadcast TV. Powermaster Prime told the story to Tommy. Unicron did sound more metallic in some scenes.. So I still think there is an early draft out there, or it was ditched after all the hate mail from parents....
    and another mystery Is why hasnt anyone gotten the Bionic Six series to remaster ?...

9. Primeultra

“Your theories were proven true”?

I don’t think so, more likely the difference in sound you “heard” was the result of the type of sound the broadcast station was able to transmit, or the type of sound your tv was able to produce

Seems to be an other case of mis-remembering......

also, magnificent ask a question.....you seem to be implying that you got the vhs before the season 5 airing of the film?
    I would love that

• Like Like x 2
  10. carissa

carissa Well-Known Member

This is the closest you're going to get to seeing the Ultra Magnus death animated. And it's from story boards:

This is the other deleted scene you're looking for in "animated" storyboard form:

• Like Like x 2
  11. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I saw the movie when it originally aired in 1986, and I watched it again in the theater last year. And, I can say with 100% confidence that the DVD is the theatrical release. This movie is literally my favorite movie, as I watched it well over 200 times. I own every copy of the film that was ever released. Original VHS, DVD, 20th anniversary DVD, Australian Blu Ray, English Blu Ray, and the American Shout factory Blu Ray. I think your just remembering or perceiveing the memories of the film differently. The audio differences could be explained by differences in the speakers of your TV or degradation of the TV broadcast. Orson Wells voice was put through some audio filtering for the film originally due to his ailing health (he died shortly after recording his lines). Also, if you watched interviews of the voice actors doing their lines for the film you have to realize two things. The lines you heard may not have been the take that ended up in the film, and the second is your hearing the Pre-audio edited sample before it’s tweaked in sound production.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember that when I seen it in the theaters and I also remember when I first rented it on VHS, the word "shit" was removed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mirage426

mirage426 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yup, I got a copy that was used by video rental stores, before it was available for retail purchase..
    (Witness testimony good enough for court, but on a internet forum, you are immediately wrong..I keep forgetting that.)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  14. Primeultra

cool
    Witness testimony Sontag always good in court

I won’t get into why , but some of what you posted just seems to sound like confused memories

15. setsuna

setsuna Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the deleted scene of autobot city!

The dogpile of prime makes a lot more sense with the way prime was positioned and the dirge bit explains his wierd turn around and why Megatron says “no! I will crush you with my bare hands”
    Its kinda out of character for prime to “dunk” dirge like that though...

Always wanted to see the UM and bots
    scene take out devastator...

Love the extra bits with hot rod and kup. Explains why thundercracker n the insecticons are so bashed up by the end.

No skywarp though? Or huffer’s corpse? Red alert lying dead also explains things... sort of...

MAN i just wish all these deleted scenes could be added!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Primeultra

I am certain that megatron said “ no, I’ll crush you with my bare hands” because he first considered useing his canon on prime

That’s why you see him out his canon down, Kind Of like a cowboy putting their gun in a holster

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

Only change was Spike saying sh't in the Unicron absorption of MBtwo.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Judgment Day

Judgment Day Energon Extractor No.533

I'm assuming by "PG", you meant more family friendly since the theatrical release was PG. PG-13 was in its infancy back then, so you could get away with a bit more stuff with a pure PG rating back in 1986, and that's the rating TFTM was originally given. Also, I want to say that a VHS version exists after the "Shit" edit release (by FHE?) but before the DVD release where the word is intact.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  19. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember a certain cut.
    It's like there was a Star Wars Crawling intro and a narrator at the end of the movie.
    The Blu-Ray copy I have never had those intro narration or monologues.

Others said that's the UK release? Is that true? Why there's a difference anyway?

20. Collectotron

Collectotron Dreadwind aficionado

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    @deathzero23 it's true I've got that copy myself the text crawl replaces Unicron attacking Linthone presumably as it was top violent as for the end narration it was to assure people Optimus would return so they'd keep watching

• Like Like x 1