Transformers 1986 Movie Poster

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by BAD MOON, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Could've swore that when the movie was actually out, the theaters had the "Rodimus Prime holding up the Matrix " version. Did'nt see the Magnus one til much later.

2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    While I have seen the concept drawings by Floro Dery marked as 'Autobot City as Fortress Maximus' (and vice versa), I really don't see how that excludes the idea of that car on the poster possibly being Scamper.
    The Metroplex toy would've been around in some form while the film was being made since his toy came out in the same year as the movie, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that whoever drew the poster when it came time to make the publicity materials for the movie (not entirely sure why you claim the poster was 'obviously made early in the film's production') was given a variety of sources by Hasbro (or whoever) to draw from and one of those was (pictures of) the new 'Autobot City' Metroplex toy arriving alongside the movie and his component robots. And then for whatever reason Scamper got used.

I'm quite happy to be proven wrong, but until somebody can come in with concrete proof it's not Scamper, or can at least provide a convincing alternative suggestion of that car's identity, I'll have to stand by my identification.

3. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I find it misleading for them to put Ultra Magnus front and center in the poster when Rodimus is the real star.

4. Sludge

Sludge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that's the point.

5. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

I think they did have that poster oversea's.

6. Altered Prime

please stand by your id, I have no solid proof to say who's wrong or right.I am just giving my opinion which is informed by all the production materials i've read the years.As to the film animators possibly getting the toy designs early...........I dont think so and heres why....

Every interview I've read, ever peace of pre-production literature I've read has claimed the reason we didn't see many season 2 Autobots [Tracks,Hoist,etc..] , or any of the 5 membered combiner teems [Protectobots,Stunticons, etc...] from both factions was because the animation team wasn't given any of their character models to work with.

So, I find it difficult to believe that some poster majer was given early toy model designs if the films team of animators wasn't given season 2 character models.As to why I feel the poster is obviously from very in the films production...here are my reasons

1]In all these years I have seen very little to no publicity materials, used by Hasbro in North America [and I recall this being used in NYC], that featured both Megatron and Galvatron.The only one I remember was a fold out poster that came with some toys.

2]likewise, I haven't seen any publicity materials, used by Hasbro, that featured both a robot mode Hotrod and his vehicle mode.......or is the robot intended to be Rodimus, who knows for sure.

3]Every peace of publicity material I've seen over the years featured a rendering of Ultra Magnus............except this poster, which leaves me to believe that this poster was made before they decided to give the UM mold new colors and not go with the power convoy color scheme.

4]If you look close at the opening of Unicrons planet mode mouth. you casn see these very long "spike' like protrusions coming from the opening.That was a character model feature from every early in the films production. and was dropped.
    again, this is just what I think, not any sort of solid evidence.

7. Altered Prime

misleading was the point.

8. JunkersHVN

JunkersHVN Well-Known Member

As far as the UK poster, it was produced later on in the film's production. All of the characters and images are taken, possibly traced, from frames of animation in the film and then all kind of smashed together into one big image. When I have some time, I'll try and find the source frames for all the images taken from the film to create the poster. I found a few but it's something of a time consuming task. What makes it worse is that some of the characters have random weapons added in their hands or other odd changes. The robot next to Optimus Prime's knee was, if I recall correctly, originally a frame of either Rumble or Frenzy flying through the air.

The painting with Rodimus Prime holding up the matrix wasn't created until a couple of years later when the film was finally released in Japan. The artist who created the painting for that poster is well known in Japan for the paintings he did for the covers of various model kits, mostly early Gundam kits and a lot of military vehicle scale model kits.