Transformers 1986 Movie Poster

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by BAD MOON, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I love that one best since I have shirt with that on it.

2. Born 2B Alive!

Born 2B Alive! Director Of Entertainment

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  3. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Damn, man. These are ALL kick-friggin-ass!

4. Born 2B Alive!

Born 2B Alive! Director Of Entertainment

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  5. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

News Credits:
    I remember seeing that image as an ad printed in a few UK issues, but I could never work out who was the car following Hotrod at the bottom of the picture. Since you have a full size poster Chris, can you shed any light on this?

Edit: I'm pretty sure the bot near Optimus' left knee is a generic, so I guess the car could be too.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I think it's supposed to be Scamper, the little guy that came with the Metroplex toy. You can see the guns on the top of the car mode made from his arms with the fins on top.

Never could work out who that flying guy was. The poster copies some artwork from the actual film (Cyclonus in alt mode, the Dinobots dropping into Autobot City, Optimus when he gets shot in the face) so it might be derived from something like that.
    I think that's the UK cinema poster I've got. Back from when they used to fold those things.

7. yakko

yakko IaconHub BossMonkey

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Slightly off topic as I don't have anything to contribute on the poster discussion, but it was released on Blu Ray in the UK. It's out of print, and a bit pricy if you do find it. I got it a few years back and it looks great. I bet Hasbro puts it out in the US at the next divisible-by-five anniversary.

8. mandiprime97

mandiprime97 Junkion

News Credits:
    That's cool, definitely my favorite.

9. JunkersHVN

JunkersHVN Well-Known Member

Sorry for the necromancy, but I ran across this thread while looking up some other information and it seems that the original question was never properly answered. Based on everything I've found, here's what I've been able to figure out from various sources. There were two versions of the poster released when the movie was released in theaters. The version with the credits overlaid over the artwork is the version that was most likely sent to movie theaters for display. Unfortunately, this was before double-sided posters were commonly used for light boxes, otherwise there would be no speculation. The fact that I couldn't verify any sources for a legitimate reprint of this poster lends credence to this theory.
    The poster with the blue box at the bottom was available through various promotions. It was included in full theater size in some of the press kits. It was also available as a promotional item at toy stores when you bought Transformers toys and it was reprinted for video stores to use. Generally, the theatrical poster wouldn't be reprinted at full size during or before the theatrical run.

10. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Are there affordable G1 movie prints available anywhere? I'd love to have one framed in my office.

11. JunkersHVN

12. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

13. JunkersHVN

I believe the car next to Hot Rod is actually supposed to be Kup, but it got very badly mis-drawn.

The robot sticking out of Prime's knee was one of the background Autobots during the Autobot City battle, if I remember correctly.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    We're talking about this guy, yes? :

[​IMG]

That is indeed very badly mis-drawn...

I still think it's actually supposed to be a stylised Scamper. Despite the poster artwork having only four wheels instead of the six the toy has:

[​IMG]

The movie has a battle at Autobot City. Scamper comes with the Metroplex toy, which is sort-of Autobot City. Black sports car, fins at rear of car, two roof-mounted cannons with fins (you can see them one behind the other through the blasterfire), Autobot logo on hood. It's not that much of a leap.

If that really is a mis-drawn Kup then he must be spinning in his CR chamber at how much he looks like Scamper. He's certainly annoyed enough to be shooting at Hotrod regardless of who it is. :p 

Of course I could be wrong. Depends what others think, I guess. Could be someone else entirely. I just don't think it's Kup.

15. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I have 2 copys of this poster. I got them from allposters when they where offered. I have 1 of them on my door and the other is still in its original tube it came in. I love the look of this poster so I purchased 2 and glad I did since I haven't seen it for sale in a long time.

16. HollyW00d

HollyW00d Collecting Freak

Be careful as a lot of them are reprinted from scans. I have an original mint still in the frame from the theater. Got it at a yard sale for $15

I'll have to check, I don't remember if mine has the blue bar on the bottom

[edit] Here's mine

[​IMG]

17. JunkersHVN

18. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

I would guess that the second poster is the one you would be able to purchase from Bradlees, Caldors, Two Guys, Mccrorys, Woolco, etc. The first one, the one with all the contracted "above" and "below" the title names, would be sent to theaters.

Short answer: The first one, with more credits, is the "official" theater poster.

19. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    This one's the one on my wall.

20. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

I have no idea who it was meant to be, but I don't think it was meant to be Scamper.

that posted was obviously made early in the films production.Everything I ever read about the films early production wpuld exclude the idea of it being Scamper.

That early in the films production, autobot city was called "Fortress Maximus", it did not have a robot mode nor did it have any drones.

And the films makers didn't have any specs on characters/toys like Metroplex and his components.

just my 2 cents.