Transformers #10 Preview and review thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by tusko, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    So this is part the Ongoing series. Wow, they really did an overhaul on the artwork. It just took me awhile to figure that one out.

2. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Almost stopped reading after they dropped the dockworker into the water

But then it just got better. Fight was great.
    cheered Broadside, then cried for Broadside, last page reveal was interesting. Preview cover has me counting the days til #11.

PREDACONS!

3. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    The art between issues is down to the individual artist - Don Fig did the first six issues with the more complex looking bodies and faces (they're not movie style faces), and since then it's literally changed from issue to issue depending on which artist has been on point.

4. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Looks like Vortex is at it again.

BBC News - North Korean plane crashes in China

"A North Korean aircraft, which may be a fighter jet, has crashed in China near the country's shared border, say Chinese and South Korean reports."

- Coeloptera

5. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    SO if Onslaught, Vortex and Brawl left N. Korea (if they did leave that is) who is left? I ask since I just re-read #9 and they said based on the amount of Energon N. Korea is producing, there should be 5 Transformers there. We know Swindle was with Hot Rod, so it was unlikely him, so who are the other 2 still in Korea?

6. OriginalScream

OriginalScream Well-Known Member

Right now, I'm just wondering where Blast Off is during all this. Any ideas?

7. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    In issue 8 they said that the North Koreans were producing enough energon for five robots - ostensibly hinting that the other combaticons were hanging around somewhere.

That or it might be the
    the Predacons, who pop up next issue

8. prime78

prime78 Well-Known Member

is it just me or is thundercracker starting to to be going the route of a certain beastwars character

9. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm really trying to still like this series, but I find the pace of the story overall too slow. If things don't pick up soon, it may become a permanent drop.

Other than them, Jetfire was the only one available.[/hope the comic readers don't realize what we did in earlier issues]

Maybe it was a union thing?

10. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe they figure, well if Dinobot got voted in the TF HOF, the same story might work for Thundercracker

11. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Comparing Thundercracker with Dinobot doesn't really work, different characters who quitethe cons for different reasons. Dinobot because he felt he was on a fools errand and that he'dbe better in control. Thundercracker just doesn't feel that the cons stand for what he wants to do any more,

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Aaaaargghh!!! Blah. Another bad issue, albeit with a few bits that I liked. Unfortunately, Vortex using swords and Broadside appearing are really not nearly enough to offset the increasingly horrible writing.

Oh, and just for the record, if you don't want **SPOILERS**, then don't read my review. In fact, don't read this thread. Get out right now. Go buy the damn thing, and read it already. Or don't read it, and be richer for it. Because it sucks.

Case in point... the first FOUR PAGES devoted to that utterly inane, awkward conversation between the Skywatch guy and a security guard had me almost gasping at how awful it was. I'm pretty much convinced now that Costa has no idea where he's going, even on an issue-to-issue basis, and is just trying to spread his material as thinly as possible. There is absolutely no excuse for dragging out what could have been a short punchy gag over 4 sparsely scripted, sparsely drawn pages. It's awful, redundant storytelling.

It also makes the Skywatch guys look like idiots, and instead of endearing us to their roguish, irreverent ways, I find myself wishing they would just all DIE already, which I don't think is the intent.

And don't think I didn't notice that this inane exchange took up about as much space as the entire battle scene. Pretty weak.

I'm also noticing that this seems to be part of Costa's style... large empty panels with nothing going on, functioning only as containers for really stiff, uneconomical dialogue, resulting in pages of characters just standing around... so I can't blame Guido for the utterly turgid pacing. It's the same in everything Costa has been doing. The only artist who seems to be able to make his scripting more visually dynamic has been EJ Su in the Prowl spotlight, and the recent ongoing issue with the Decepticons on Charr.

On the artwork side, I will say that Guidi is a bit better this time out. Not looking as good as his work on AHM, but he seems a little less slapdash compared to the last issue. Overall the total art package (pencils, inks, colours) don't seem to be quite coming together here. And it seems like nobody can make that new Bumblebee design actually look good.

A lot of flaws in the story have already been pointed out...

Right. But don't ask those same humans to stop a TANK. Heavens no! "We can't stop a tank!" as they said in their defense... giant robots? No problem. Whoa... watch out for that tank though... !!!

I'm not sure what struck me as more absurd and poorly considered.... Onslaught effecting the classic "helicopter trapeze" escape with Vortex. ("Better luck next time, Auto-clods! Muhahahahahaaaa!"), or in the face of a joint attack by a larger force of Autobot warriors, Skywatch mechs, and conventional US troops, Brawl just simply turned into a tank and trundled away AND NOBODY COULD DO ANYTHING TO STOP OR PURSUE HIM.

"Look... he's very slowly getting away!" :rolleyes2 

I know, right??

And speaking of guns and stuff... what the hell? You've got a team made up of some of the Autobots' most brilliant tacticians... Prowl, Jazz, Smokescreen, Optimus Prime(!!)... and the strategy is to drive around at close range, shooting them with ineffectual weapons??? I realize the Combaticons are supposed to be well-armoured, but that's a bit ridiculous. Nevermind the fact that some of the unique weapons that each of those Autobots is famous for would be perfectly useful in those conditions... Prowl's acid pellets, Smokescreen's electrical disruptor, Cliffjumper's Glass Gas, Wheeljack's magnetic inducers (as well as any other wacky weapons he could cobble together). Throughout IDW's run so far, we've seen how the Autobots seem to be able to deploy their main weapons in vehicle mode quite effectively. So instead, the plan is to strap a bunch of nondescript (possibly human-designed) guns to them? And then engage the Combaticons at close range? Really?

And so while I'm ranting... how about those Combaticons?? When did Onslaught become an unimaginative dupe with no real strategy or purpose besides looking for his next meal? When did the Combaticons start relying on SWINDLE for leadership? If anything, it would be the other way around... Swindle is probably the one that gets them into trouble and is most likely to be insubordinate and deceitful! Also, I realize that Vortex is supposed to be an AMAZING flier (not that we see ANY of that in the miserable excuse for an aerial duel between him and Jetfire)... but when did he become a hardened warrior? The dude is an interrogator... a psy-ops guy! Suddenly he's busting out his ninja swords and cutting down Jetfire like a chump?

And Jetfire? Okay, so they're taking the G1 cartoon route. Jetfire isn't a high-tech super air-warrior. He's a research scientist with a glass jaw. That's lame, but I see where it's coming from.

But even so... Jetfire's only tactic in air-to-air combat is to... RAM VORTEX?? Are you serious?? You had the potential here to depict an airborne skirmish between the Autobots' most iconic flier, and a daredevil trick-flying helicopter who can create 300mph wind funnels and direct them at foes, and this is the most exciting combat scenario you can come up with?

And okay, I'm a Tech Specs nerd, so it also bugs me that Vortex uses his blades as cutting tools, since in his Specs, it's explicitly mentioned that his rotors are delicate and prone to fracture. But I can let that pass, since (and this is one of those rare times that you'll hear me speak ill of the Tech Specs) Budiansky basically gave every TF helicopter the same description, abilities and weaknesses... wild, crazy flier, capable of insane feats of maneuverability, rotor blades delicate and prone to damage.

Right. It's almost comedic how easy it is to punch holes in this scenario...

As others have pointed out, the Autobots would seem to have MANY dedicated combat flyers on Earth... Silverbolt, Sandstorm, Blades... frickin' BROADSIDE!!! So yeah, they send in the scientist, and then complain about how they were "overmatched" when it turns out badly... ******ED!!!!

Is this nitpicking? Or is it just really sloppy writing? Hmmmm... one could argue that I'm overlooking the plot in favour of the little details and character bits. But this is COMIC BOOK FICTION... any inconsistencies like that are just going to pull readers out of the story. I'm sorry, but those details and character bits are important!!

Besides which, the overall plot seems to be floundering at ever turn, so even in the big picture I'm not pleased with Costa's work here.

YES. Nice comic book analogy. :) 

That doesn't work, because ANYONE using Cybertronian tech or personnel is considered in violation of the Cybertronian WMD policy that was just announced by the President.

Of course, the USA has plenty of nukes, chemical weapons and other WMD's, and that didn't stop them from stomping on certain other countries for developing their own. But in this case, there's a difference between having them and actually deploying them (which Spike clearly did in this case).

Agreed. This whole series is turning into a fiasco.

Me too!

Yeah, I can't wait to see how badly the Predacons are handled in the next issue. They might suck as much as the Combaticons in the last two. Anybody wondering if Costa will forget that Razorclaw is on Charr right now? ;) 

zmog

13. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Oh yeah...Razorclaw is playing game warden over on Charr, a world where the Decepticons are starving and starting to turn against each other openly to try and just survive.

To be fair, I don't see him on the preview cover.

Oh, here's #13's.

[​IMG]

I think we all saw this coming.

But the one I'm really dreading is #12.
    [​IMG]

Considering how, well...clumsily this has been written, I cannot imagine how the public, in general, will ever be okay with any public info on the US's use of Cybertronians. I just cannot see it coming organically from what we've seen before. Honestly, I just can't see where any of this is going, and I have a feeling it is less a complex story with many levels to it, and more that it's just meandering along.

- Coeloptera

14. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Worry less about continuity.
    Carry on with great plots and good characterization.
    MOVE FORWARD do not languish in the status quo.
    That's something I really liked about the early Marvel stories, every month was a different adventure. If you want introspective pacing, bring back Furman.

15. SMOG

Wait, are you saying you LIKE Costa's run so far?
    That it has good plot and characterization?
    That it is "moving forward"?

Weird.

zmog

16. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Well no. I think there is a lot of room for improvement in the on going series.
    I think its languishing and belabouring a status quo that's not working. I'm saying the writer needs to move on with it.

17. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    By and large I like Costa's turn as the writer, but I think he's lacking something that both Furman and McCarthy had, and that's an overarching concept behind his stories. Or rather, he's not applying the concept as well or as often as he should.

With Furman, the concept was "intergalactic stealth cold war", which the discovery of Ore-13 changed drastically. With McCarthy, it was "what if the Decepticons won?" So there were themes underlying the stories that gave them focus and direction.

Costa has a theme, which was best expressed in issue 4 with Thundercracker, which is "Transformers stagnate, humans change and learn. How can one society benefit from the other?" I've worded that a little clumsily, but you get the idea. Prime's abdication and Thundercracker's change of heart tie into this theme, but a lot of his stories don't. And to be fair, while it's a good idea it's probably not something that can be used in every plotline. But that does mean that several of his storylines feel shallow, like the characters are directionless and not going anywhere.

So I think Costa might need to focus a bit more on his core themes and give his stories some purpose and direction. He's written some good stuff, but some of the more recent issues don't seem to have a purpose other than existing for their own sake.

Does this make sense to anyone? It makes sense to me.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  18. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My biggest issue with Costa is that:
    A) The humans are too powerful. The Autobots serve no purpose being on Earth
    B) Costa dumbs down characters to make his story work. He made Hot Rod a moron, and now Onslaught can't think of a plan? Really? Onslaught who is known for his brilliant planning? This proves my point that Costa nor Andy know anything about these characters. They've turned the comic into a joke. I'm not a huge fan of Furman, but I wouldn't mind if he came back.

19. SMOG

Ah, okay, I get you now. Of course I'd be satisfied if the writer just moved on, period. Like, to a different title. :) 

Hmmm... that's an interesting point, and you may be right. I've always liked the idea that Transformers are not necessarily all-around awesome super-aliens, but rather totally stagnant as a culture and species. I approve of that theme, in a general way. However, it becomes a problem if you advance these ideas to their extremes too quickly. The Transformers are far, far too ineffectual and fundamentally broken both as a species and as individuals. The humans have come so far, so quickly, that you really can't go much further before the world is a complete inversion of our own... unfamiliar, over-teched, and with humans on top of the food chain, and TF's some distance under them.

In other words, it's a scenario that's been hastily urged along, and a lot of developments have come prematurely, and at the expense of good story. I find Costa is just fumbling it at every turn... it's as if his answer for showing stagnation in the protagonists is to foster stagnation in the storyline... which is not the way to do it.

I'm not saying that there aren't some interesting ideas at work there... but they really seem to be floundering amid a lot of weak, awkwardly paced, half-assed writing. So far, his characterizations have been hit & miss (mostly miss of late), and many of his main players, such as Spike and even Prime, are flat-out irritating.

I've had my complaints about Furman and McCarthy, though I still enjoyed their runs. This is the first run where every issue makes me feel those misspent dollars acutely. With the exception of a few of the Spotlights, I'd say this is IDW's lowest point for Transformers...

At least I HOPE it is, because I'd rather not see it go lower.

zmog

20. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As long as Schmidt and Costa are at the helm, expect it to get lower.