Transformers #0 Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by JoshBot, Oct 19, 2005.

1. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Is it a great comic? No. Is it a good comic? From the preview... yesss.

2. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I liked Furman's plan to only introduce megatron and optimus as a last resort, playing up there mythic status as he put it. It will be nice to see these characters strengths highlighted rather than taken for granted. In the dreamwave series there didnt really seem to be anything exceptional about these two characters other than maybe when optimus rammed devastator in the face. The same was often true in the old marvel series also where in one issue megatron and the seekers are getting destroyed and run off by omega supreme, but taking down predaking solo a few issues later.

BTW, the optimus stepping on megatron cover is awesooooooooooooome!

3. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    I like the "ultimate" idea that they are playing with better than trying to continue from before. Start all over and wipe out all the screwups that came before. By starting new you can...

- wipe out all previous encounters
    - Not worry about 2 other companies mythos
    - Not worry about the cliffhanger from DW
    - Update characters
    - Piss off a bunch of uptight people.

4. Jasonnin

Jasonnin Well-Known Member

I just finished my copy of issue #0. And of course this is only the "preview", but I wasn't really all that impressed. I agree with what alot of people said here. The art was "so-so", and the same goes with the story. I dont know, this is a "TRANSFORMERS" comic book, to much focus on the humans. On a positive note, I thought the thundercrack 2 page scene was pretty cool. I will continue to give this series a shot, but if this is how IDW is gonna run with the transformers, I will end up cherishing my DW and Marvel issues. BTW, i refuse to buy 4 different covers anymore. I got burned back in the early 90's. I still have 11 freaking copies of X-Men #1 (of course I was thinking they were gonna be worth something).

5. Frequency

Frequency Formerly Berserker Prime

Just remember, it's Simon Furman, so the first story arc is really nothing more than padding til he finds an excuse to bring Grimlock in and start having him tear sh!t up.

:p 

6. Shanti418

Shanti418 AutoBottler

The issue was, as previously stated, "meh."

Chrischarger, though? As Impactor would say, "Sheesh."

7. Shokaract

Shokaract Banned

just curious, how many covers were made for this? My comic shop is holding the 4 regulars and the incentive, wasn't there a con exclusive plus some online exclusive covers as well? yes, I'm a crack fiend. what? why are you looking at me like that?

8. wljk

wljk Well-Known Member

I sort of like what has happened so far with the comic. I feel Furman is trying to make it simple and easy for the newbies as well as not making it to simple for us fans.

I just loved the idea that they used F-22 raptors for the seekers. I have always thought that it would work better in the current time to use these instead for the F-15's. As for the close up the underside/nose of Thundercracker looking like Screamer, most modern military aircraft are light to medium grey on the bottom for air cover camoflage, so grey in the closeup and then blue on the top during the high speed turn just shows me the detail that is being paid to at least in this issue.

So for my vote..... So far so good, keep up the good work and build further.

9. Frequency

Frequency Formerly Berserker Prime

As of right now at least there are only 6 covers for it- The Autobot cover, the Decepticon cover, the Optimus cover, and the Megatron cover are the 4 regular ones. Then there was the Shockwave wrap-around incentive and the botcon "sketchbook" incentive cover.

10. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

I bought this today, I bought the Megatron cover. The art is bad IMO and the story was so so.

11. EagleEyeJoe

EagleEyeJoe Well-Known Member

I picked up a copy today. I had really been looking forward to it and I like it. It's a good setup. For those complaining about all the humans... and about no robots yet... do you have any background in writing? You don't just jump into a story. You set it up. You try to make it interesting... you try to establish a feel. I think a lot of people just looked at the DW stuff for the art and never read it (actually I could never read it.. it was to me horrible).

This is a nice set up. You get a sense of something going on. There is a good setup coming. I'll be looking forward to see what happens.

12. Silver Bullit

Silver Bullit Banned

Yeah, we know it is a set-up. We get it- we just don't care. Some of us would prefer to see a few more "Transformers" in out "Transformers" comic book.

If nothing else, I hope the art improves.

SB

13. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I do think its safe to say Su cant draw people or landscapes very well. I still dont mind the art though, beats not having a TF comic at all, or Pat Lee's chestmaster optimus prime.

14. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I found the story short, but ultimately enjoyable for what it was; I eagerly anticpate a greater role for the TFs in the actual series and I'm trusting that there will be one. And I can see where IDW is coming from; I mean after over twenty years of seeing the Transformers show up and the reactions of the humans being rather typical, hohum to certain points, it'll be nice to see actual terror inducement again.

I only hope that IDW stays afloat this time, but since they seem to have more properties that people buy I don't know if that will be a problem or not; I mean they've got Angel!

15. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think lotsa youse are being a bit hard on it.

i thought the art was not good, if not great.

i thought the story holds promise of good things ahead.

i like the human factor.

i like how they blacked out the profile pics inside the cover.

i like the price tag.

its good to find a current TF comic in the isle and i've a positive feeling of things to come.

my only gripe...ish 1...january?! so far away :( 

16. Jasonnin

Jasonnin Well-Known Member

"Yeah, we know it is a set-up. We get it- we just don't care. Some of us would prefer to see a few more "Transformers" in out "Transformers" comic book" - Ditto!

Its a transformers book. So I expect to see transformers! But its more from a human side. Well see how the book progresses, before i pass total judgement.

17. noizu

noizu Well-Known Member

Well after being pretty unimpressed by the covers, after reading the issue i'm nicely intrigued. I do like the idea of saving the big reveal of robot modes for maximum 'holy crap' effect... so keeping it at human-level worked for me. But it's a balancing act, and too much people action will get tired.
    That Thundercracker 'BOOOM!' page was great, hope we see a lot more of the characters' unique characteristics like that. Reminds me a little of the early G1 Marvel issue with the Decepticons attacking the power plant and showing off...
    Artwork is really nice at times but in danger of looking a bit plain. I think Su has some good work in him though.

Interested so far. The new Transformer speech bubbles are pretty decent, hate it when they get lumped with plain bubbles. They have cool metallic robot voices damn it!

18. Llama G0d

Llama G0d Six-winged god of llamas

#0 fell through my letterbox today, and, I gotta say, I quite liked it. No "wow" factor, as such (not on a par with WWI #1), but a helluvalot more promising than the very first issue put out by Dreamwave. I *like* the idea of keep Transformers as "robots in disguise" - after all, that's one of their selling points. Bizarrely, my only concern is that the human characters haven't been fleshed out enough before their run in with the TFs. Sounds odd, I know, but if we're going to see things from the humans' point of view, shouldn't we settle in with that point of view first? I'd be happy to wait for some big stomping robot action if it meant we got some decent characterisation. After all, if I want to see big stomping robot action, I got a whole back catalogue of Marvel and Dreamwave comics to browse through.

My favourite thing about the comic, though, was that two-page spread of Thundercracker doing the Maverick fly-by. Not sure why, but it put me in mind of the "Man of Iron" storyline from the early Marvel UK series (I *think* a similar shot was in that, anyway - whatever the case, it made me feel like I was seven years old again. Which, in this situation, is a good thing) - and that I love. Not a Furman story, oddly enough, but it has the most fantastic air of mystery and darkness about the whole Transformers thing (possibly something to do with it being very British - discuss), which was lost all too soon after Shockwave appeared (not really a very good disguise) and popped Prime's head off looking for Pez sweets (or the Matrix - I get a bit fuzzy on details as age takes a hold). So, yeah, I'm holding out high hopes for this one.

Oh, and art... So so. No Don, but not a Pat Lee either. We can but hope for improvements.

In all, I'm looking forward to it.

Now, back to my Revenge of the Sith DVD and the talking Yoda toy (this has been a GOOD day)... ;-)

19. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    hey, was this released in US shops? i musta missed it...

20. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    picked it up ~ the quick review

I thought the colouring came out WAY oversaturated, thought the characters were well drawn, thought it was an "ok" story, really am not a fan of the art style (i'd describe it as "servicable" ~ althoug the diagram skeches in the back seemed killer) but the 2 page spread was well executed and added a lot of excitement.

like the sense of "awe" and the alien about the TFs Furman is attempting to add, but still just don't really see the point of this relaunch/ultimate concept yet ~ i'd love to be proven wrong, and will give it a couple issues to see if the art and colouring improve..