TransFormers ‘84

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Grimlock528, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

In fairness hecwas forced to truncate the last mini to just 4 issues. Revelation had plenty of promise but idw said no just 4. There were supposed to be spinoffs etc.

What he did in response to this was phone in the six part nefarious story set on the bay verse with some incredibly half baked ideas which was like the middle finger to them for doing that

• Like Like x 1
  2. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Tonight the streets are ours

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Qft

• Like Like x 3
  3. Swerve

Swerve Well-Known Member

Actually, "The Continued Adventures of Earthforce" would be great.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Cool :D 

5. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  6. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    The stories are fairly ephemeral and light weight, but man, talk about tightly plotted for economy. Those Brit writers get a whole 'nother skill set working for (and growing up on) the various anthology titles that are so popular there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Those are ugly to me. I've never been a fan of hyper-stylised overly-detailed reimaginings of classic characters. Of anything, not just Transformers. I get that the artist was probably trying to make Soundwave and I think its Grimlock look much more alien-like but its not for me. I much prefer simple classic 80s nostalgia.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

Yeah. I thought this was Bay-formers.

9. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    Regeneration One revealed the Original Cybertronian Heads were in storage on Nebulos. They were more bonded by a psychic connection rather than a physical connection like originally implied. The psychic bond allowed characteristics from one to "bleed" into the other.

Marvel Scorponok was more Zarak than Scorponok. Regeneration One Scorponok was more Scorponok than Zarak

Marvel Scorponok was his original body with a Nebulon built and piloted head. Regeneration One Scorponok was his original head with a Nebulon built body

They can be seen as 2 separate entities connected by a residual psychic link

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  10. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

I kind of agree with this. It isn't hard for me to think of the two as different characters, especially with Zarak outright saying he wasn't Scorponok in #75. Doesn't make the overall plot of the (Literal) Genetic Key any better but I'm fine with the backdoor reintroduction of devious scientist Scorponok.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Russ840

Russ840 Autobot Targetmaster

So I really enjoyed Regeneration One but that’s probably because I have never read the original 80 issue series.

loved this new issue that just came out.

I think I’ll read the original series now.

Does Regen 1 not make sense if I read 1-80 and straight into Regen?

• Like Like x 1
  12. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    It makes sense but you might think that it's not a very satisfying conclusion.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Tonight the streets are ours

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yup, knew this and still think the same I’m afraid. The headmaster process was meant to be a melding together, so sure, they're not going to be exactly the same but the point to me was that both of them were meant to have been changed by the events in G1. To have Scorpy go back to being plainly evil like Zarak was only a transtector or whatever- which wasn’t the case in G1- rankled.

14. UKBrawn

UKBrawn No arms just CLAWS!!

I'd take it as an alternative universe ending, it works better that way to me.
    There are quite a few things that don't line up with 1-80 and certainly a lot more with the UK stuff; which I personally consider part of the original continuity.

• Like Like x 3
  15. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    The whole heads in storage was a retcon to "lets build suits out of their heads" which IMO makes more sense to me. Zarak and Scorponok were both changed by the process, but more on a psychic level. In Regeneration One Grimlock inquires that Scorponok seemed smarter and more cunning, than he did millions of years ago which Scorponok explains to Grimlock it is a trait that he received by his Psychic bond from Zarak, it was a trait of Zaraks that "bled" over to Scorponok.

I see where you are coming from (im not a huge fan of Furmans) but what he did in Regeneration One was kinda his way of bringing back Scorponok without shitting on the sendoff that Zarak/Scorponok had in #75

I liked Regeneration One more than G2. Furman could have easily kept Regeneration One going or at the very least given it a much better non-rushed ending

• Like Like x 2
  16. Swerve

Swerve Well-Known Member

Both G2 and RG1 have major problems for me personally. G2 tells a more interesting forward looking story, and actually has humour, but suffers from being 90s Grimdark Dork Age to an extent that is almost beyond parody; it's laughably so. RG1 I was initially more hopeful of for not having that aesthetic, and not being tangled up with Action Force, but sadly, RG1 in practice manages to avoid the aspects that made G2 entertaining; comically ott art and also the bleak humour and dark characterisation, and, indeed, for the most part humour at all, whilst embracing Darkness-Induced-Apathy, unremitting gloom and death, being EdgyTM every single page, and mean spirited deliberate trashing of everything it can get at, to an extent far, far worse than G2.

If it's "G2, Take 2", then the wrong lessons were learned.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

Actually, The Headmaster mini-series makes clear that the intent of the headmaster process was to give Nebulans control over the TF bodies. The comic even makes clear that the original heads will stay in contact to aid the Nebulans, but it's not a merging. At least not under Budiansky. In his view, there was the brain module and nothing else, a TF was very advanced AI. Headmasters were thus humans/nebulans controling a TF body.

The only one changed by the process, were the Nebulans. Outside of the physical change (they became cyborgs), with the explored characters you see both Galen and Zarak their personalities being warped. Partly under influence of the Original character, and partly simply by the path they have chosen.

But the Original heads being in storage on Nebulos and being used to create new Transformers completely fits within the universe laid down in Marvel.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I also liked regen 1 at first ,then I read the Marvel comics and began to understand how people did not like it as a continuation.

19. Swerve

Swerve Well-Known Member

I'll give Regeneration One points for a few things. First, having the willingness to actually play out the Ratchet/Megatron dynamic; albeit in a very pessimistic way, which G2 ignored (unless you assume that either Another Time And Place Megatron or G2 Megatron was actually the result of soaking Ratchet in Nucleon before the explosion in #78, and a subsequent trademark Nucleon-fuck-up, which would actually make a lot of creepy sense), second, for having Optimus finally just out and out
    kill
    Megatron. Bringing back the Headmasters the way it did was ok - or rather, would have been ok if they'd been brought back to any useful effect. The storyline regarding the Demons and their heritage was also very promising, and deserved a lot better than to be buried completely beneath all the tedious Dark Matrix crap. The arc of Hot Rod concluding that actually, god had been a bit of a git all along, and opting to screw prophecy and instead focus on making good on Primus' shortcomings was far more interesting, and lost completely when Furman's interest moved on to "But, actually, 'Primus' has been replaced by the Dark Matrix now anyway, so to help with everything".

Wiping out nearly all life on Earth, with special attention given to the oh so amusingly* ironic deaths of
    Buster and Jessie
    came across as both mean spirited and decidedly immature; the fanfic of a teenaged fan sitting in his darkened bedroom sulking about how Transformers is "ruined forever" by too many human characters and then gleefully penning a bit of fanwank where all the dumb stubbies get killed off and made Megatron's bitch offscreen, so that then the robots can agonise and angst about it for issues on end.

"Oh, and Circuit Breaker was cool, but my new totally original character's called Circuit Smasher, and he's waaay cooler and way more angsty, and he's not an icky girl either, so nyahhh!"

Lastly, the Gene key was just moronic. Psychologically and narratively illiterate, and moronic. Insultingly trite, psychologically and narratively illiterate, and moronic. Incoherently conceptualised, insultingly trite, psychologically and narratively illiterate, and moronic. And I didn't like it.

* It's about as funny as Sunstreaker is modest.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Rojixus

Rojixus WE. ARE NOT. THE DECEPTICONS!!

Circuit Smasher wasn't an OC, he was Spike.

I almost wish Buster was Circuit Smasher and Spike was the one who got killed off since I never liked Marvel Spike. But then I remember I hated both Circuit Smasher and Circuit Breaker.