TransFormers ‘84

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Grimlock528, Mar 31, 2019.

1. GoLion

GoLion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not so sure I agree with the notion that RGI was 'just bad'. I think it had a lot of redeeming qualities. It just felt a little lackluster when compared to other stuff being done at IDW at the time. That said, I've gone back and read through it a few times in trade, and I find it to be a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

However, I do think RG1 suffered from the worst aspects that plague a lot of comics now. It was beholden to the trade format. Which stretched out certain stories that seemed like they could've been told much more quickly.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    My criticisms are referring to his other mini series that he has done for IDW which did have those flaws.

Furman is best when he restricted and has to conform to bridging A to B. His imagination runs way too wild and free when he can write whatever he wants.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lucas35

Lucas35 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here are some comments from another forum from people who didn't like the comic that I agree a little:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  4. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Well I also think even when read all at once, it still suffered from more than few "Furmanisms", and parts of it were still trying to be the edginess of early '90s Marvel but instead were drab or in some cases just plain depressing to read.

I agree with some points, but I think Counter-Punch didn't have to kill the Decepticons because while they were chasing down the Autobot clones, they didn't really know what the Autobots were chasing or what they found. Plus I also assume that Counter-Punch would convinced the Duocons and have reported to any superiors that the Autobot clones didn't find anything other than a random primitive world.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lucas35

News Credits:
    I just read this comments on another site and I don't know if it's true:

• Like Like x 2
  6. GoLion

GoLion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yea, it might just boil down to subjective taste. I am not nearly as bothered by said 'Furmanisms' as others are. That said, there were a few issues that were downright depressing.

7. Swerve

Swerve Well-Known Member

The odd thing, in a way, about the whole 'writing for the trade' thing- a problem which I do get, and one which, of course, a one-shot like this thankfully automatically avoids, is that in a way it's a natural development, albeit taken way, way too far, of something that was a Furman hallmark all the way back in those early US issues. Take "Eye of the Storm", for instance- one of Furman's classic and very cleverly structured issues- but it's all about pushing onward a wildly disparate mix of plot threads, and pushing things together that mostly won't come to fruition for several issues yet; the classic 'cut from storyline to storyline; resolve nothing' "writing for the trade" type issue. That same trend's rather what eventually led to this.

• Like Like x 1
  8. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    The thing is, back then, he was writing a multi-part story, but Trade Paperbacks weren't yet much of a thing. So each issue had to stand on its own. Since the advent of the Trade Paperback (and, perhaps even more specifically, the assurance that such would be released shortly after the completion of the storyline itself), there's been a lot less incentive to make each issue significant.

The result has been several issues that do little to move the plot along, followed by an issue that rushes to resolution. That's not how multi-issue stories should work.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Swerve

Swerve Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't disagree. I just think that the predisposition toward it was there, even back then, but the shift in publishing tactics and market facilitated it, turned it gradually from an asset- linked issues in a story arc, to a scourge- four or five issues of disconnected 'jumps' and teasers- the sort of thing that would make up the first two thirds of the first issue only, in an old style '80s Marvel TF epic, and then the rushed resolution.

It's not strictly restricted to comics. Steven Moffat's work for Doctor Who was horribly prone to the same symptoms, once he took over as show runner- 'writing for the DVD' in that case.

It's as if Legacy of Unicron consisted of five issues of Autobots and Decepticons sneaking around on Junk, whilst keeping Unicron carefully off screen, "building atmosphere", before the final issue opened with him revealed, and then the writer attempted to fit Cybertronian blitzkrieg, Decepticon leadership coups, Death's Head and the battle at the centre of the mind, the origin of the Transformers, and finally big explosions and battles and an ending... all into the last half of the last issue. I'm thinking of the "Lost Light" issue that tried to ram the revelations over Primus and co, killing all of the remaining Guiding Hand apart from Primus, the ongoing Functionist War, Megatron and Rodimus finally mending their fences, oh, and the Magnificence being revealed to be one of the Guiding Hand and an eldritch abomination with a monstrous master plan, all in one, to decidedly flawed results.

• Like Like x 2
  10. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Don't get me started on Moffat's inability to write conclusions....

• Like Like x 4
  11. Swerve

Swerve Well-Known Member

Hey, at least we eventually found out who the hell blew up the TARDIS and caused the 'crack' in the first place.
    It was clearly the Dark Matrix creature from RG1, as shown in the various 'void' sequences, using Spike's negativity and bitchiness to prise open a crack in the multiverse - because a recurring theme of IDW is "Spike Witwicky is such a twat that it breaks space/time."
    Oddly, that still sounds more linear, logical, and credible, than most of Moffat's arcs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

Who helped him with IDW1? Aside from editorial mandates, he created and wrote the everything in the beginning. Megatron: Origin and Spotlight: Kup being the only exceptions.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Grimlock528

Yeah, I absolutely loved his Rodimus Prime. Best in any media.

• Like Like x 1
  14. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's interesting. I'd love to see some of this explored, if we are just talking Marvel US continuity...

-My absolute first choice would be a limited series that filled in the space between issue 80 and Generation 2, then eventually lead in to IDW reprinting Generation 2. It's probably super unlikely. But I'm sure Furman has been bombarded at conventions and online with people that wanted that (instead of what Regeneration One became). He knows there is a demand for it. And he established the multi-verse in Regeneration One, so it would not cancel out anything he wrote for that. All of us readers could just choose our own adventure and be happy. I liked Regeneration On a lot, but maybe more people would appreciate it too, as just one of several possible timelines.

-More stories based around the Matrix Quest.

-More stories of Blaster, Scrunge and Straxus on Cybertron. I know that was Budiansky's story line originally, but it would be great to see more.

-A few issues of Ravage or other cassettes sneaking around spying on the Autobots. Basically they could just revisit some of the original issues from Ravage's point of view. Could be fun.

-More Dinobot adventures.

15. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Editorial counts as other people, does it not? The point is he still had some reigns on during IDW1, where in RG1 he got to let loose and it shows.

16. Lucas35

News Credits:
    Moffat's endings are not bad. Here my opinion of them:

One thing I prefer in the Moffat season finale is that it focuses on the characters’ relationships with each other and their developments, how situations are dealt with, and are centered on the dialogues between the characters while those in Russell T Davies are more focused in action, how the situation affects the characters and their choices. In RT Davies are situations that are increasing, threatening the Earth or the Universe, while Moffat is the opposite, starts with a great threat, with several villains to become small situations, with only a few characters in one place, talking between they, in Davies the characters struggle with the external situation, in that of Moffat they struggle with their interior.

Season 5: The second part takes place in a museum and it is about the traumas of Amy

Season 6: The Resistance group invades the base of the villains, the main story of the episode was Doctor trying to convince River that he had to die, the story was about the traumas and fear of River

Season 7: The villains kidnap the friends of Doctor and Clara, and just like before is in a small scenario with few characters talking, the focus was on Clara wanting to save the life of the Doctor and the Doctor realizing that he was wrong about her

Season 8: Focus on Clara's pain in losing Danny, Doctor convincing himself of who he is and Missy wanted his friend

Season 9: The story was about the relationship Doctor and Clara, his positive and negative sides, how one affected the other, positively and negatively, about dependency and love

Season 10: A group of resistance on a farm, about Doctor trying to convince the Master to be good, about the sacrifices and pain of the Doctor, Bill and Nardole

Here is a list of the best for the worst:

1-Face the Raven/Heaven Sent/Hell Bent
    2- World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls
    3- The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang
    4- Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords
    5- Dark Water/Death in Heaven
    6- Army of Ghosts/Doomsday
    7- Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways
    8- The Name of the Doctor
    9- The Wedding of River Song
    10- The Stolen Earth/Journey’s End
    11 - The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos

• Like Like x 1
  17. Grimlock528

Well, sure. I thought you meant other writers.
    However it seems to me (in almost all cases) the things that people complain about the most from Furman IDW1 run were editorial. The slow burn. Too much humans, not enough fighting in space. That was all Ryall.

18. Grimlock528

Bridging G1 to G2 would be cool! If even just a mini.
    Still a shame we can’t go beyond G2. Liege Maximo should of been our next big bad.

19. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Yeah. They don’t make a lick of actual sense, but they sure are character-driven....

20. Swerve

Swerve Well-Known Member

While I'm conscious that this is a Transformers evaluation thread rather than a Who one, given that Moffat's flaws, for instance, have a lot in common with, well, to pick one TF example, hmmm, how about, James Roberts, I think there's a certain grounds for valid comparison.