TransFormers ‘84

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Grimlock528, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    On the subject of the clones death, remember the issue where gears (I think it was gears) died and Spider-Man thinks the autobots are heartless, it was specifically stated that death is different for cybertronian, they can always be brought back

• Like Like x 3
  2. Malakhov

Malakhov Well-Known Member

Indeed, the art is the only good thing in this. The rest is total garbage

• Like Like x 1
  3. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Maybe ignoring the UK stuff isn't a crime to you but it was the continuity a lot of us in Ireland and England grew up on including James Roberts and Nick Roche.

It was particularly jarring at the time when the UK comic was still going. It may not mean much to you but don't be so dismissive of the fans it does mean to.

• Like Like x 2
  4. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    I don't mean to dismiss you, per se. It was important to you because that's what you grew up with.

It's not what I grew up with. It may not be (I honestly don't know) what IDW folks (who, like me, tend to be US-based) grew up with. I don't really expect folks to hold to a continuity they didn't grow up with.

(A perfectly good counter-argument, of course, is that Furman himself is not only FROM the UK... Like Roberts and Roche... but actually WROTE the stuff! I do, of course, mean that the IDW publishers tend to be US-based)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Swerve

Swerve Well-Known Member

I must admit, from a purely personal perspective, it irritated me even back in '90 and '91, when Furman migrated from the UK book to the smaller US universe, that in several of his story arcs, he essentially went for re-treading things he'd already done before, and, for me, the "real" future canon will pretty much always be the post-Movie future described in "Wanted: Galvatron : Dead or Alive" et al- subsequent iterations, whether it's the "Aspects of Evil" timeline, the "Rhythms of Darkness" one, or the final "End of the Road" / "Regeneration One" version are essentially 'bad alternate timelines' as per Back to the Future- for me, the only real emotional 'closure' of that universe in a certain sense would be for a future storyline to see someone finally manage to restore the history that was destroyed by the Time Wars.

Not that I'm dismissing the US strips- simply putting the counter-opinion to the above- in the version I grew up with, personally, the 'UK' material was the 'important' part of the story, to a large extent. Those fill-in stories with the odd dotty colouring and slightly washed out shades that told us what the Transformers who were natives of the time zone that Galvatron had arrived in got up to in between time travel adventures, were almost back-up strip at times.

I started in with issue #86- for me, the 'future' cast were the main characters- I suppose one way of looking at it was that Megatron was always the past version of Galvatron, to me, rather than Galvatron being the future version of Megatron.

So, what stands as the 'core' part of the mythos, vs. what's an optional extra, is always going to be entirely subjective. I only discovered Generation Two had even happened about ten years after the fact, when I was bored at university and discovered the legally dodgy world of online comic scans on a nostalgia trip. I never considered it really any more integral to the comic's storyline than I did any fanfiction I read in the same time period, to be honest; as such, it being 'overwritten' by Regeneration One didn't really bother me. Both were, in a sense, just 'what if Another Time and Place hadn't happened'? alternate possibilities.

• Like Like x 4
  6. misfire19d

misfire19d Geewunner with some cash to buy toys

Finally. Something more boring than IDW2.

This thread.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

Oof.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chiller

Chiller Failed Decepticon

News Credits:
    I'd support something along those lines. I always found Furman was at his best was being constrained and having to fit in-between other things.

DamBusters and Guardian were extra chapters in the US story, evening showing the Autobots in the process of being brought back online, ready for the test roll out in the next US chapter.

Target2006 was that restriction at his best - using unused characters, and time travelling used to solve logistical plotting.

Seeming inconsequential at first, Ladies Night slotted before a return to the Goldbug/Blaster US arc, diverting them to the Galvatron/Magnus site, both inching forwards the UK plot and knitting the UK and US continuities.

The double Megatron problem, whilst a mess, was good crazy fun.

When Furman has free rein, he never works as well.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    It's so weird that so many of you HATE this comic. I honestly don't get it. This is one of the best TF issues I've ever read, and was genuinely shocking.

• Like Like x 8
  10. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hating on anything idw does is the cool thing to do these days

• Like Like x 8
  11. Issy543

Issy543 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I found the title to be pretty good. I’ve not read all of the Marvel US comics yet, but I like the story. Shows the ugly side of the war, and a nice use of Punch/Counter Punch.

The art is beautiful. Great colours and the G1 designs looks pretty good with this artist.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

Or anything Furman does.
    Furman was great in Marvel UK.
    Great in Marvel US.
    Great at DW.
    Great with IDW1.
    RG1 manages to take away all of that good will.
    I’m hoping this restored some of that.
    This single issue is fantastic, and exactly what I want in a TF title. He gets these characters and he knows how to deliver.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    It’s only good because it was a one shot. If it were a four issue mini series, he would have used the first three issues world building, decompressed written for the trade then rushed to tell the story in the fourth issue without any decent pay off.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But it wasn’t so those criticisms really don’t mean anything

• Like Like x 6
  15. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd throw Marvel US G2 on that list also!

I wish IDW would get around to doing a nice reprint of it eventually.

• Like Like x 4
  16. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    The thing about all the UK stuff is that Furman probably had disregard a lot of it because he had a Marvel US editorial team reminding him to not pay it too much mind since the majority of his readers now likely never read any of it.

IDW1 being great was debatable, it has a lot of up and downs, but I think it has a lot to do with Furman having others help with the input. RG1 of course was just bad, and that may be because it was basically all Furman.

People compare him a lot to Chris Clairemont, which I think is an apt comparison. Just like Furman got to continue the Transformers with RG1, Clairemont also once got to write X-Men Forever and continue his original run...and it also turned out to be trash. I think they're both writers that in the 80's (and under certain guidelines to keep them on track) turned in some great if not some of the greatest work, but aside from some hits here and there in the early 00's, both since the 90's have become more and more distant from modern comic sensibilities and have trouble finding anyone other than some old loyal fans as an audience anymore.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

My apologies. I may have overreacted. I was tired when I read your post.

One thing I will give him praise for with Regeneration is his portrayal of Rodimus Prime. And Blurr being a badass with his speed.

• Like Like x 1
  18. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    An interesting observation, although I think a lot of my complaints (certainly not the only ones) about RG1, especially the idea of "writing for the trade," come about precisely because "modern comic sensibilities" don't resemble the original work I was hoping to see continued.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Of course, but I will say I can't really fault any writer who has trouble picking up their old stories twenty years later when it really has been twenty years later and the writer, the audience, and the times have changed.

• Like Like x 2
  20. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I'm not so sure I agree with the notion that RGI was 'just bad'. I think it had a lot of redeeming qualities. It just felt a little lackluster when compared to other stuff being done at IDW at the time. That said, I've gone back and read through it a few times in trade, and I find it to be a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

However, I do think RG1 suffered from the worst aspects that plague a lot of comics now. It was beholden to the trade format. Which stretched out certain stories that seemed like they could've been told much more quickly.

• Like Like x 5