1. Of note - we are in the process of upgrading the site to use HTTPS / SSL. In that time, you may be logged in/out depending on what area of the site you are looking at. If you want to be logged into the forums, please log in via https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/login/. If you do that, you will not be logged in while looking at the front page. We hope to have this fixed within the next 24 hours or so.
    Dismiss Notice

Transformer toys you bought because/despite the character?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fez Findie, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

Namely, like did you buy a rather weak transformer figure because of the character or a cool-ass toy with rather lame a character?

I can't really name any going at that range... well, at most I could say Breakdown GTS, if he wasn't such a neat toy too. But I bought him 'cos he's an old man, and old men are always funny to have around XD

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I bought Classics Astrotrain basically because I needed more Decepticons, and I bought Cybertron Skywarp because he was Skywarp, turned into a jet, and I also needed more Decepticons at the time.

3. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought Armada Leader Prime sucked, but I bought him because he was Prime.

I bought masterpiece green scream because I thought the toy was awesome, even though I really felt he wasn't Starscream, but a different seeker.

4. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i buy a TF toy on its own merits, i NEVER buy for any other reason eg character, faction balance, series that makes no sense to me atall.

I am guilty of some positive discrimination though, there are countless fantastic toys available of every description but i only own toys from a few toy lines, TF being one of them. I have to limit myself though as im prone to going off on an expensive tangent.

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'm the same; I buy a toy for the toy. If I bought 'em for the characters, I wouldn't have many AEC figs at all, since I never really got into the fiction, and none of the characters I did encounter made any impression. If the toy's cool, I'll get it, if not, it stays on the shelf.

6. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave 俺の魂は燃えていない!

News Credits:
    I more or less always buy them because of the toy, but sometimes the character speeds up the decision a little :p 

7. Nerdling

Nerdling Jiminy Jilikers!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I bought Vector Prime, despite never watching an entire episode of Cybertron or knowing much about the character. The Alt mode is really innovative for a TF, and his poseability is top notch. I didnt really care that even a monkey could transform him in 5 seconds.

Oh and G1 Shockwave. It's a decent toy, but I got him because of his personality in the Dreamwave comics. In the cartoon he was a weak geek.

8. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

me with some lines I am a completionist like RID and classics (and the upcoming universe classics 2.0) Armada Energon and cybertron I picked and chose based on the toy not the character in the cartoon since I thought those cartoons were weak. I love the animated cartoon but not real keen on the figures so far but I figure to buy both modes of prime and megatron because their prime and megatron and blitzwing because he is a triple changer. The movie line I only collected who was in the film.

9. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I do this sometimes. The Cybertron Seekers come to mind... it's a pretty weak mold, but I bought them because they are Seekers.

Energon Shockblast is another. I would probably have passed on this sub-standard mold if it weren't the spitting image of Shockwave.

I ALMOST fell for Nike Sports Label "Marine Convoy" (despite the fact that I loathe those shoeformers and Nike) because he is a white Prime/Magnus (which I collect). But I stepped back and thought about that one a bit, and saw reason.

As for "despite a character"... well, I guess most of the AEC toys would fall under that description. I could never stomach any of those Unicron Trilogy shows, but some great toys came out of them. So I got the toys despite having zero interest in their source material.

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I bought FAB Frenzy, despite the fact that I really don't care for FABs, because it was the only decent (transforming) representation of him. It turning out to be a fairly good toy was just a bonus.

I don't really have a "despite a character" pick...

11. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    I actually preferred a lot of the AEC toys because I didn't know about the characters. With most of the TF series, I've enjoyed them because of the fiction; however, with AEC I've been able to craft my own universe using these molds precisely because I don't have any character associations with the toys.

I'm loving the animated series so far (and anxiously awaiting the toys), but I'm hoping we'll have a few 'non-show' toys that I can view as more of a blank slate.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Waspinator & Tarantulus (non-Transmetal) - out of stores by the time I discovered their characters, and ended up importing and paying a premium for it. Nothing really for or against the toys themselves (though the later 10th anniversary repaints look way better), but I probably wouldn't have bothered if I wasn't enomored with their characters on TV.

13. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I've never seen an episode of Cybertron. I've seen parts of episodes, and it honestly looks godawful. I have no idea what the story is supposed to be. But I got a Primus toy simply because it was just so cool to have a toy of Cybertron that has a robot mode.

14. Nerdling

Nerdling Jiminy Jilikers!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    QFT. The voice acting was bad and I just cant get into 3D animation.

15. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

Energon Megatron. This is when I first got into collecting. I knew very little about the new TF series and could careless for it but I always wanted a Galvatron toy and G1 didn't do it for me, such an ugly figure but Energon Megatron was great. Then due to my luck on the net I see there was a Energon Galvatron.

16. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Ever seen the Dinobot toy? Yeah.

17. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I usually buy a toy based on it's coolness regardless of its cartoon character. For example, I dont care much for TF Animated, but the starscream toy looks pretty cool. I also have an extensive Tracks collection as I love corvettes.

18. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

Alt. Smokescreen, could careless for the char. but I always liked that Subaru WRX STi

Dinobot was my 1st BW toy and well only, I never got into BW until a year ago but I always liked Dinobot.

19. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can't say that about TFs; if i want it, i want it until i get it.
    I admit that i bought a gundam fig (G Gundam series, i believe) b/c i wanted all the fighters.
    man, that was a butt ugly, fugly MF of a fig. i swore i wouldn't buy him and i did for extreme discount at wal-mart. and my friends have ragged me for it since.

20. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    It has happened to me with the Cybertron and Energon molds, I hate the charachters, but some molds look great.