Transformer movie marketing for kids criticized

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Foster, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    FTC: REVIEW!!!
    MOTION PICTURE: Let's see .... made a ton of money. Will do it again. K!

2. Drive-By

Drive-By Eschew Obfuscation...

Transformers is an old school property and was initially pimped to young kids, where areas the CCFC states that because it was a PG-13 movie it should be advertised to PG-13 on up.

But here is the question. Where is the line drawn? I can most certainly respect their views and agree on some level, but does that mean things like war toys and such shouldn't be seen by little kids because of the glamorizing of war? Seems like this would be a hard line to draw in the sand, and policing something like this could have far reaching ramifications. I remember seeing Rambo the cartoon back in the day and how they made a whole toy line for him and such, and we all know what the Rambo movies were like.

So it does make me wonder where are they going to start and stop at.

3. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I totally agree with you. There are too many parents that either don't care, or expect someone else to make all their decisions for them. I'm with you on Ep. 3. Another one that my kids aren't allowed to watch is X3. My wife had BIG issues with kid's being taken from their beds as they slept. ( part where the mansion is invaded) Most responsible parents will watch a movie and decide for themselves. There are PG13 movies I let me kids watch, and there are PG movies that I won't let them watch. It's called being a parent.

4. dare

dare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you're Joe or Jane public and have only an inkling of what Transformers A MICHAEL BAY MOVIE is, you'd be thinking

- Evergreen kid's toy series
    - Lots of merchandising for kids, including a Transformers toyline that, for the first time, also caters to those younger than 5, bedsheets, stationary, you name it.

They'd bring their kids to cinemas (YOU try talking a kid out of pestering you to go to THE movie of the summer features characters they know and that is being advertised everywhere!!!) only to find:

- Robots peeing
    - Masturbation jokes
    - Hot sexy horny women
    - fugly, scary as shit metal monsters

Call me crazy, but I can see what they're driving at. Even *I* felt uncomfy at many points of this film.

5. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

I sure am glad these people are around to take things like this serious and raise my kid. I just don't know what i would do without them making decisions for me. I mean I would have to take responsibility for my kids upbringing otherwise. Lame. Its a good thing they kept us all from seeing the 80's cartoon movie, I mean only 20 or so robots get slaughtered in cold blood. We all would have grown up crazed killers instead of just nerds.

6. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I agree with everything said here. I hate smoking, but I hate those stupid Truth commercials a LOT more.

For the most part the scene happened...but the actual kiss was a modified joke by someone. So yea, it is technically creep fan-fic humor.

Again, the FTC isn't doing this because they want to, they're doing this to appease the nagging housewife brigade who'd rather have TV raise their kids while they go 'protest' other things. As far as the FTC is concerned, there is no problem, and the fact that the FTC only suggested that the movie makers should "reconsider guidelines" to marketing movies to kids more or less pissed off the real people pushing this ideal. That group is the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood , the same people who want Cereal companies to stop using cartoon characters to sell "unhealthy" cereals.

7. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    :lol  :lol 

8. Freyabeads

Freyabeads TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As a MICHAEL BAY MOVIE, you might think:
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning
    The Island
    The Amityville Horror
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Armageddon

Who is in charge, the kid or the parent? The answer is NO, period. Keep begging, crying, pestering, whatever...then there are consequences.

9. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I thought one of the major points of parenting is to not let your kids run you. That's how my parents raised me and that's how I'll raise my kids. And if you don't know anything about a PG13 movie, then you should preview it without the kids first to see if it's acceptable for your kids to see. That's *why* it has the recommendation of being a film for ages 13+, to give parents a clue that this movie may not be suitable for younger viewers.

I know my Bro in law had no problems letting his 12 year old see it, because there really wasn't anything that bad for him in it. Yet he won't let his two younger kids watch it because they're not old enough for it.

And to put it bluntly, this movie really was NOT that bad for kids. Other then a few dirty 'adult' jokes, it's nothing worse then what kids already watch now. Seriously, Power Rangers, most popular boys franchise for the under 12 market for nearly a decade now, and the shows are nothing but monsters and fighting.

10. WWMEGATRON

WWMEGATRON Well-Known Member

YES !! THANK YOU !! MY WORDS EXACTLY !!

11. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, it's def. a typical case of parents not doing their jobs... but also, who exactly thought a masturbation joke belonged in the Transformers movie to begin with???

EDIT: If not for the fact that we hadn't actually seen much any of the Transformers we went to the movie for, the group I went with and I were almost ready to leave when that scene happened...

12. Sage

Sage The ZetaConvoy

This crap seems so familiar...

Haven't similar groups criticized other (conveniently popular, money-earning, and let's not forget; profitably suable) properties about being the blame for their kids' issues...?

So let's sum up:

Judas Priest made your kids commit suicide,
    Marilyn Manson made your kids violent,
    Eminem made your kids thugs,
    Grand Theft Auto made your kids psychotic, car-stealing, hooker-murdering career criminals,
    ...and Teletubbies made your kids gay.

Oh, and Transformers made your kids violent shape-shifting robots who pee oil on government agents.

*whew* Good thing parenting, or a lack thereof, isn't an issue...

:banghead: 

13. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Parents are the ones taking the kids to see the movie. If they're unsure of the tone of a film they should probably look it up and find out if it's appropriate before taking their kids.

Did Pirates of the Caribean get this much flak? They have toys and a ride at Disney land promoting the film that incorporates characters from the movie.

14. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    OMFG! Are they serious. You know like everyone as said, do research on certain movies and if its not suitable for kids then dont go to it and the same thing about tv, if you dont like a certain channel then change it.

15. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I think this is the most fair post of this thread...

I took my son to the movie cause he was a big fan. I knew that he would be fine with it, cause he has grown up with transformers and is also pretty good with that kind of stuff.

I agree that the studio should be more aware as to whom they are advertising to, but it isn't in the nature of the hollywood machine to thing about things that do not increase the bottem line...

16. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Okay so my 2 year old saw the ad, and my 4 year old. You know what we did...we didn't take them to see it. Can't parents even control kids anymore? After seeing it a few times I felt I wouldn't mind letting the kids watch it on DVD, so they have. There is no blood, nudity and the language is pretty mild for PG-13.

17. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I don't think that the 2-4 year olds are the problem.

18. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    May I point you to the Family Guy episode 'P.T.V.' :D 

But in all seriousness this is crazy, but I suppose it keeps these nutjobs off the streets...

19. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Transformers is to blame for your kids masturbating later as teens.

20. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

My neighbor took his little girls to see it, and all they cared about was Bumblebee.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!