Transformable model kits

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ce2Know, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    As others have mentioned, I would definitely look into the Kabaya candy kits from Japan. Other than that, what about some of the transforming gundams? They're not great in terms of alt-mode, but they're the closest I can think to a model kit that transforms and is not Macross related.

2. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    I have the transforming Perfect Grade Zeta and it's quite a monster. I love it to death.

It's really too bad we never got other Trans-Scan figures from Takara, I was hoping to see Ratchet, Ironhide, Megatron and Starscream done that style. They were kibbly, but they had 4 modes and the paint jobs were the absolute best, better than what we got in the Premium and MP lines.

3. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

yup, not gonna happen, there's no model kit building market in the us anymore, at least not as mass retail 'toys' on target/walmart shelves. gundam? zoids? they're all long gone from us retails and mostly sitting in specialty hobby shops collecting dusts waiting for occasional adult hobbyists to pick them up. i've assembled and painted various levels of gundam kits, and even the non transforming ones are generally a little floppy and fragile, the various zeta-inspired transformable kits are pretty much floppy fragile mess that could barely hold together in either mode if they want to retain the perfect transformation and not use the part-swapping cheat. i had the 'scan' series optimus prime and can confirm it's a massive failure, both as a merchandise and a toy. the kits were heavily discounted pretty much every where, i picked one up for about 30%-50% of the original price, instantly hated because of all the floppy shell kibbles. tried to sell for what i paid for, no luck, had to discount it even further to about 15-20% of the original suggest japanese retail price.

if you look at the transformers toys, they're already made like model kits due to so many moving parts for articulation/transformation, the only difference is transformers are reenforced with metal pins and rivets and the inserting machines are not available to the general public. i'd gladly buy a unassembled transformers kit ala botcon customization class but can you imagine how pissed off a parent would be if the toy is ruined 2 minutes after opening the box because the kid lost an important pin or hinge part or worst choked on the said tiny part? imagine the fun hasbro will have trying to spin the previously low-paid, undesirable factory assembly line job relegated to the chinese now as a interesting and fun experience. 'spending hours crawling on your carpet looking for that part? we swear that's a feature, not a bug!'

and we're going to charge $20 for a deluxe size toy, because, inflation.

4. Ce2Know

Ce2Know Ce2Know custom_Bot

When you say that style do you mean the movie style for the character, or that style of toy concept. If Hasbro reused the transcan line I would definitely want to see them use some of the headmasters characters, even classics hot rod would be great to see.

5. Ce2Know

Lol, yeah you make some valid points. I just see the possibilities for these being successful if Hasbro worked more with us fans. When has or will that happen, hey here's to hoping it does. Bandai and those Gundam kits do so well even after all these years, I would love to see a Dai Atlas TF model kit, that's not flimsy.

6. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

bandainamco is also incredibly good at merchandising and brand pushing. bandai has more or less in house animation studios, video game studios, manga artists/novel writers all working together pushing the year long gundam series on top of the model kits. and then look at hasbro, struggling with its paid premium channel, and barely got tfa rights back from cartoon network. the videos games and comic books are generally decent, i'll give them that, but still felt lacking compared to the bandai marketing machine.

7. mapatel

mapatel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally i would love to see some transforming model kits in the transformers (like Star Saber) line but unfortunatly i dont see them as part of hasbro's MO with transformers, so i get my fix of those from gunpla. I recently became aware of the macross line of kits and am looking at ones like the Armored and Tornado Messiah kits as my first macross kits.

8. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    For other movie characters, since the point is to have them in both protoform form and fully scanned form.

9. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    trans scanning figures are horrible.. i hope we never see them again.

they may have 4 modes.. but only 1 looks decent. the robot modes look terrible.

all i want are more DMK's. I'd LOVE to have a megatron kit.. i wouldn't care if it were his rotf or dotm design. and a starscream would be ABSOLUTELY AWESOME.. while i love both the movie "masterpiece" leader starscream and the hasbro regular version.. they still wouldn't stack up to a bonafide screen accurate model starscream.

and for me.. they don't need to transform.. i prefer that they don't so that the robot modes can be perfect. leave the transforming to the mainline figures.

10. Ce2Know

Could Hasbro make DMK's fit into their budget and give us Master Grade Transformers model kits? That would be good too.

11. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I built some of the transforming Robotech kits from years ago. THEY SUCK. Pretty much loose joints from the start.

If I was going to buy a model of a Transformer, I'd rather it not transform. Just an cartoon accurate model of the robot mode. I have toys if I want to change it from robot to vehicle.

12. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    I have the Prime. I assembled it once in both forms, transformed it once in each mode, then reboxed it. it felt incredibly flimsy

13. jordanimus 1

jordanimus 1 Well-Known Member

If Hasbro decided to go with this crazy notion and made TFmodel kits happen they would have major competion from Bandai and Takara/Hasbro aren't ready to step into this market. The whole process would mean Haskara would need to revamp the flaws of model kit building, current models kits are to flimsy to handle being able to transform.

14. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

I agree. And it's kind of a shame because it's not like you hear that kind of flak over Lego kits. Granted, they can vary in complexity to be more friendly for younger/older children, but I suppose it's not like the Lego bits are as fragile as ABS Gundam parts :eek: