Transform Element Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Blazing Mewtwo, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Blazing Mewtwo

Blazing Mewtwo Decepticon Lover

Hello. I painted the Transform Element OP Leader with nail polish and paint from Hobby Lobby.
    I am not really satisfied with the result (not in terms of color, but the way it was applied and looks) I love the color of it though
    I was wondering if there was a way to remove the paint and polish and reverse the figure back to the stock version
    (If possible)
    I also have a bit of excess polish rub on the side of him
    There’s also a scratch on the chest, which is transparent plastic (by removing excess polish with my finger) 75BA800B-037E-42FE-88AE-861CAA92C422.jpeg 7B757AEA-CC20-4E35-A855-74CD1C477248.jpeg C2F9B8F7-4B86-43E5-B14C-E59236EA703E.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  2. gibdozer

gibdozer Censored

I think you would have to use rubbing alcohol to take it off. Probably some of the factory paint will come too judging by the scratch. Then you can repaint it. I wouldn't put nail polish over paint either. Did you use enamel or acrylic paints and what kind? I use testors acrylics from hobby lobby.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blazing Mewtwo

C40E2103-ACAA-40AA-855B-05E5A739E735.jpeg

4. gibdozer

gibdozer Censored

So model masters, but I still can't tell if it's acrylic or enamel. I'm going to guess enamel by the way the green went on.

I don't know how much experience you have, but acrylics are easier to use on plastic than enamels imo. I think your best bet is to remove the paint and try again if you're not happy with it. Sucks but sometimes that's what it takes. I would definitely advise using acrylic paint if you're new to painting plastic. Also start with thin coats and build your paint up to avoid brush strokes showing and general clumpiness.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Blazing Mewtwo

Ok
    Thank you
    I’ll try to remove all the paint and try with just the blue plastic

6. rtm

rtm Well-Known Member

Remove the paint with a little bit of paint thinner. That’s what I usually do and it works perfectly. Yes acrylics are easier and better to work with. I always by Tamiya acrylics. Can’t go wrong with that whether your using a brush or an airbrush and they dry pretty fast also.

• Like Like x 2
  7. rtm

rtm Well-Known Member

Tape off the areas you want to paint next time. I can see the gray paint bleeding off the sides.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blazing Mewtwo

Thank you

9. The Happenin Rhinoceros

The Happenin Rhinoceros TEAM MONKEY PANTS FOREVER

I love Tamiya for customizing TFs. They are absolutely fantastic. And their metallic colors are phenomenal.

I'm also a traditional painter (canvas and brushes) and find my Golden Open Acrylics work amazingly well on figures, going on very smooth and even if applied in a few coats. Just another option that can offer an alternate range of colors if you get into customizing. My customs tend to be a mix of my artist's acrylics, Tamiya, and Rustoleum Painter's Touch for larger areas (very nice, very smooth).

Also, make sure you thoroughly wash all parts before painting. It can really mess with the way your paint lays down and sets. I'm in the middle of customizing a KO MP-30 to a Marvel Comic version of Ratchet and forgot to wash before painting...it was an epic disaster and I had to strip all the paint and start over.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rtm

rtm Well-Known Member

Thats so true. Wash the parts ur going to paint with a bit of soapy water. Some figures tend to have some sort of “grease” on them due to it being what they use to remove it from the mold, plus it helps remove any dust or what not it may have. With that being said, why would u want to paint this figure? He’s perfect as it is. I own one also and I kept is as is. If you want my advice, just paint the small parts on the side of thr matrix chamber, the greenish small parts u painted. Remove the gray paint from the outer edge of the chest and keep it original color. He’ll still look like a million bucks!

• Like Like x 2