Transform DW upgrade for Combiner Wars Defensor

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Scaleface, Apr 17, 2016.

1. gnguye3

gnguye3 Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned the C+ Upgrade kit so I posted the video I just happened to run across... The C+ kit looks cool, but omg. 85 bucks for the kit. The Dream Wave kit is available on TFSource $45, but I'm waiting to more pics posted of the kit with CW.

2. SHADDO

SHADDO Arashikage Decepticon

Way back, when I first pre-ordered the TDW Upgrade kit for my Defensor, I actually had a concern about the kits matching up with the the CW/UW figures, so I called TFSource directly and asked about it. The description CLEARLY says that it's for COMBINER WARS, but the figures in all of the pictures CLEARLY show the kit utilized by the UW figures, so I wasn't sure the description was correct.

Anyway, we talked about it for a few minutes. I explained what I was seeing and expressed my concerns about the kit matching up properly. The guy did some checking into it and got back with me after a day or two. What he told me was that the kits should match up to either version of the figures.

So based on that information, there should apparently be two color versions of the upgrades to match both sets, since they are obviously very different shades of blue.

I don't know if this is 100% accurate, simply because I haven't seen any options to choose WHICH color set one might need, so we'll see...but at any rate, that is the information I got based on his sources, so HOPEFULLY, that will be true.

On another note, I watched that entire video last night, and it is INSANE how cleverly they've engineered that C+C kit to upgrade the torso for Defensor/(Victorion)! The Defensor front thigh panels actually fill in the back of Hot Spot's legs in bot mode, which I thought was cool. The waist is solid and clips on nicely, but the freaking chest piece is genius! The arms of Hot Spot now fold straight up at the shoulders (which also means that the combiner ports are facing straight up as well) and then down behind him, so the chest and head piece can attach and lock in place. The sides of the new chest plate have their own combiner ports, replacing the central figure ports! I think this actually increases the height of Defensor now, in addition to the larger/taller new feet, quite significantly! Defensor even has WAIST ARTICULATION NOW!

Defensor appeared to be incredibly stable once fully assembled and locked into place...except for the factory weaknesses of the "elbows", which are still quite flimsy and will not hold the guns in high poses and positions.

Seeing the C+C kit in action, actually is making me consider changing my plans to get this upgrade, I wasn't as interested in it before. Now, I'm considering both kits and use portions of each on my Defensor.

The rest of the modes DID NOT impress me in use with each figure in bot/alt modes, and would be left aside in my Protectobots box when not being displayed as Defensor...except for possibly a decent looking base mode perhaps? I dunno...

The C+C kit seems to be very well done, and I like the way the backs of the feet fold up to fill out the legs more also. It's a very nicely done upgrade in those regards...not so much in bot/alt modes though, sadly...The other obvious DOWNSIDE to this kit is the $85 price tag, which is nearly double the TDW price...

Now I would like to see a video review of the TDW Upgrade kit for comparisons sake, mostly just to see what's what. As for now though, I'm sticking with the TDW Upgrade for my Defensor, largely because of the much nicer $45 price tag. ;D

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. VenomGTSR

VenomGTSR Well-Known Member

That C+ kit looks good and I love the proportions it gives Defensor but most of the combine mode is parts formed (I am fine with it for combiners but this is extreme) and it just ruins Hotspot's alt mode. It looks like it will throw Defensor completely out of scale with the other CW/UW combiners as well-even other combiner use the PE feet. I really hope the DW one turns out to be a well made and designed kit because while the C+ kit isn't for me, it looks high quality.

4. Stokerholme

Stokerholme Blestforce

I haven't seen any pics of the C+C kit on Hot Spot/Pyrrha Magna in vehicle mode (Aside from that questionable "base" mode or whatever it's supposed to be). That's the main reason I skipped on them in favor of TDW--from the very first batch of photos, I could see what every mode was meant to look like with the TDW kit. And--though it's been a YEAR--the kits have finally arrived instock and hopefully I'll have them by the weekend!

5. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):

Well, why not ask that in the proper thread...

• Like Like x 1
  6. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

mine should be here friday when i get home

7. SHADDO

SHADDO Arashikage Decepticon

I watched the review for the other kit, but does anyone know if there has been a review posted for the TDW Upgrade kit on YouTube yet?

8. Stokerholme

Stokerholme Blestforce

Er, sorry Daim. I was looking on google for pictures with my phone--I wasn't going to request pics because I've already made the decision to go with the Transform DW kits. Anyways, apologies if I seemed overly negative of the C+ Customs kits--hopefully they're giving their owners what they want. Maybe I'll switch to them if I'm not satisfied with the Transform DW kits.

9. gnguye3

So just for record.

Attached Files:

10. Orcos taint

Orcos taint Well-Known Member

Can't speak to the Defensor set, but I have installed the Bruticus set (and have a review coming shortly) but the chest is UW colors but works just fine with the CW version. There are leg pieces that fit on Onslaught (and Hot Spot from what I've seen in pics of this set) that come in both CW and UW colors. Everything should be fine.

11. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it's within your abilities, would you mind snapping a picture of him w/Menasor w/the PE kit? Trying to get a feel for how much taller this kit makes these two combiners compared to the rest. Either Defensor or Bruticus.

ETA: just realized if this kit looks good, I'll end up buying four of them (if they do green and black remolds for Vicky and Empress), so the height thing is pretty important :D 

12. Orcos taint

What a coincidence! I actually did that the night I installed it. I put the legs on the wrong side on Onslaught (thanks 3rd Party instructions) but luckily that only affects his alt mode. Basically, it makes him a head taller, not including cannons. We filmed a review of the kit last night. Looks like I should get it up pretty soon as not as many people have it as I thought :D 

Bruticus - Defensor.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  13. Bob Schoonover

News Credits:
    Cool! I am surprised there aren't a ton of videos and photos of these kits yet. I look forward to seeing your full review.

That looks more or less within the realm of what I find acceptable (then all my Silverbolt-based combiners will just be shorter than everyone else*). I feel like the C+ kit really moves Defensor from being "tall CW combiner" into a different species/class. I like height variety, but the C+ kit just pushes the boundary a bit too far.

*Hope springs eternal that Mugen Workshop eventually puts out those Superion thigh extensions . . .

14. Orcos taint

I've ordered the C+ Customs Defensor set, just to see what it looks like on him. I like comparing upgrades and seeing what everyone has to offer and C+ looks like a totally different beast. Not really a fan of the TF DW head with the cigar and I don't care about scale at all, which I know is a foreign thought to some. Their Victorion set looks amazing too. So many options, it's hard especially when you look at the price. Spending around ~$120 - 130 to make the best combiner is a tough sell.

I want to get the review up soon but am debating refilming parts because of my stupidity with Onslaught's legs. Haven't decided. Plus free time is an enemy of mine.

15. Bob Schoonover

News Credits:
    I'm not a scale nut in the "Defensor is 1.73 times as tall as Jetfire" sense (god, I hope no one is that nuts), but if I put C+ Defensor up against a standard CW combiner, it doesn't really look like a fair fight. That's really all I want - natural opponents to seem evenly matched in size and firepower*. The cost of the C+ set is also a pretty tough sell for me (spending more for a size I like less just doesn't compute!).

I'll patiently wait for the review whenever it comes, but I'm quite interested in seeing what other people think of this. I have no reason to get it right away (I just packed up all my figures for our upcoming move), but I'll happily put them both in my PoL and wait. If it's good, I'd love to see Transform DW take a stab at Vicky - same level of upgrade (new thighs, chest plate, maybe head, etc), but different from Defensor. The care they put into the look of this set really is fantastic.

*Incidentally, since I match Devastator up against the LER Dinobots, him being much bigger than the other CW combiners works out perfectly for me

16. VenomGTSR

VenomGTSR Well-Known Member

I'm a little disappointed in the size increase over the PE equipped Defensor. Are the thigh extensions necessary or can the part be skipped because the rest looks pretty good.

17. Orcos taint

The thigh extensions are necessary if you want to be able to use the crotch piece. It has tabs that tab into the thigh parts of Onslaught in combined mode. This is what gives him TONS of more stability in gestalt mode. Other than that, everything else is easy "snap on" parts.

18. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

so my kit got here a day early and wooo boy is it a mess. while the set looks really good it does have quite a few flaws. the instructions for me where pretty much useless. i do like the fact you can keep the original head if you choose. speaking of the head the face swap gimmic is easy and both faces are unique. the rifle extensions are a bit lame but all the extra guns are pretty neat. the hands seem small not a complaint but just an observation. taking Hotspot apart and adding the new pieces will take close observation and patience. the new lower waist is pretty cool set up and works pretty decent. the new chest doesnt seem to lock the shoulder joints like the original but that could simply be me missing some thing. now for the bad while trying to plug the feet in i managed to crack the port on Groove. my suggestion is to shave just i tiny bit of the sides and it should fit ok.

Now for the most important part what ever you do dont look at it funny or it will fall to peices

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  19. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

just a head up the legs are switched around by accident when i get a chance ill up load the changes

20. gnguye3

Hmmm, so the new leg pieces for Hot Spot are color matched to him, but the chest looks a bit darker (UW color matched). Is that correct, or is it just me? Blah.

Also, THANKS FOR PICS!

The Bruticus kit looks really good. If only they made one for G2.