Transfans interview with Tim Seeley

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Denyer, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

2. centurian

centurian Recovering Energon Abuser

Hmmm.... The dude thinks that GI Joe the movie was better than Transformers the movie?

Most the Joe fans I know (myself included) can take or leave the GI Joe Movie (with the exception of the awesome opening sequence). This guy rates it higher than TF:TM? Now I'm worried.

3. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

I've always through G.I. Joe the Movie was hilarious... good, no, but hilarious...

4. useless

useless Completely Unreasonable TFW2005 Supporter

While I don't agree I can see some arguments in favour of that view.

TF the Movie added major characters and plot points without any real explanation at all: Hot Rod, Blurr, Kup and Unicron all appear without any comment at all, its just left the the "20 years" to explain where these guys came from.

While Gi Joe the Movie pulls Characters and Groups out of thin air as well it does explain where they came from and what they're doing where they are.

Old Characters In TFTM just appear to die off without any active participation in the events. While you can very easily see all the bits where old-character deaths were retconed in late production into imprisonment (or in Duke's case: Injury) and survival in the Gi Joe movie (to aviod the outcry that All the Death TFTM had in it) at least the older characters who were origionally intened to die DID something during the movie other than just die off.

In many ways the Gi Joe movies plot was also a lot more complex than TFTM, or at least had more things going on.

5. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    I consider myself a fan of both properties.

I watched both shows as a kid, and both movies as a 14 year old (yep, I saw TFTM after season 3) and only got to read the comics as an adult.

To me, on preferences:

G.I.Joe: comic > cartoon.
    Transformers: comic = cartoon.

Meaning I like G1 cartoons almost as much as G1 comics, while on Joe the comic is clearly the superior product. (both Marvel and DD, still waiting to watch Sigma 6 to have an opinion on that show)

Part of the reason why I prefer Joe's comics over the cartoon are precisely in the movie: Cobra Commander's origin, the no deaths bit, Slaughter vs. Nemesis Enforcer, etc. The opening is gold though.

P.S.: let's wait and see if sometime G.I.Joe: The Movie is included in a top 20/50/100 list of animation movies like TFTM has been.

-airfox

6. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Ditto. I collected tapes rather than watch much on TV.

I wouldn't equate the comics and cartoon show unless you're only talking about the US comics. The UK comics were generally a lot more readable. Besides the Movie I'd pick out a few eps (such as Dark Awakening and Fight Or Flee) but not really rate much of the show.

7. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    I wasn't counting UK comics.... haven't read those yet. :p 

But I loved G1's cartoon. That's obviously the nostalgia talking, so you're probably right.

I gotta say though, I've never thought of or read on the Internet about theories to unify Joe's cartoon and comics universes, while on the TF front that's something that happens almost every day. So I guess, even after all these years, there's more interest in TF G1's cartoon than on its Joe counterpart. :) 

(I do want Rhino to release G.I.Joe season 2 part 2, though)

-airfox

8. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    wait, the movie with Cobra LA in it :lol  ? that didn't even make sense to me when i was 11 or 12!!!

9. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Indeed -- and I think that having so many plot holes and different continuities helps a great deal, because discussion's not simply a case of "yeah, I watched that, it was cool." The same seems true of Beast Wars -- lots of people enjoyed, but it was fairly consistent and doesn't provide the same basis for widespread discussion after ten years.

That or the older fans have chased off the younger ones, which would be a shame if true...