TransArt Toys Beast Wars MP Appreciation & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by TRANZ4MR, Jan 12, 2021.

?

Which Beast Wars Transmetal would YOU like to see TransArt announce NEXT?

1. Megatron

64 vote(s)
    22.4%
  2. Tarantulas

53 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Rattrap

14 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. Rampage

76 vote(s)
    26.6%
  5. Depthcharge

64 vote(s)
    22.4%
  6. Terrorsaur

15 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. mykkE

mykkE Well-Known Member

I would love a legends scale Rampage!

2. Vicegrip

Vicegrip Well-Known Member

Not too tall for me. Regardless of how he scaled in the show, the way that his intro episode hyped him up to be a nigh indestructible monstrous super soldier from a lab experiment gone awry, I feel like having him tower over virtually everyone else suits his character. I await with interest.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

28.5 in IS towering over everyone else. Remember, Blackarachnia and Silverbolt were the main characters in that episode, and silverbolt is going to be 18.5cm. MP Blackarachnia is around 14cm tall.

Also in that episode, facing off against Rampage was TM Optimus and Cheetor, who are 21.5cm and 17.5cm respectively. If you have jiangxing Winged Dragon, that's only 30cm, so only 1.5cm taller than Rampage is said.

Rampage *is* a big boy.

4. Vicegrip

Yes, and I would like a Rampage that looms over Depth Charge, or even Tigerhawk using hypothetical MP scale-ish figures. I am not disputing the scale chart (though I do not view it as the end-all-be-all authority on the matter either, given how inconsistent scales are in seasons 2 and 3). I have re-watched the series more times than I remember. I know the relative scales of each character. I am just saying that given how Rampage was introduced, I prefer a toy that scales larger than how he was depicted in the rest of the show. It never sat well with me that Rampage, outside of a few moments, was reduced to jobber status after his debut episode.

You need not worry though. I plan on getting TA Rampage as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Getting domesticated really changes a man.

• Like Like x 4
  6. mykkE

mykkE Well-Known Member

I always felt this was because he was a prisoner and forced to fight against his will. He was still just as powerful but he did not care to fight Megatron's battles, he would rather watch people suffer in pain and feed off that versus destroy them at the command of Megatron / TM2 Dinobot.

Last edited: May 10, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Vicegrip

This is how I choose to view it as well. Even still, it is hard to view Rampage as a real threat when he is casually punched out by absurdly oversized Optimal Optimus, dispatched in slapstick fashion by TM2 Cheetor and TM2 Blackarachnia, or blasted away by Tigerhawk. Those moments were all meant to showcase how amazing new character or new form of character is (ironic, given how Rampage himself was introduced). But even if we discount those, we still have the likes of Silverbolt and Rhinox challenging him as if he is just another Predacon, rather than respecting him as a foe who is well above their weight class.

8. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

If it helps any, I have, in my brain, a beast wars film trilogy that maintains Rampage as a significant threat.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mykkE

mykkE Well-Known Member

Great examples! To add in my own brain cannon Rampage not having his entire spark within his body possibly caps his power level. Also Tigerhawk is the most powerful character in Beast Wars pretty clearly so that one is not really an example of Rampage being a jobber.

10. Vicegrip

It is and it isn't. Yes, Tigerhawk is clearly the most powerful character, but in that moment Rampage is treated as just another one of Megatron's minions to be batted away. This could work, narratively, to showcase just how powerful Tigerhawk is, but by this point in the series, Rampage basically was just another Predacon, rather than a serious threat.

11. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I LOVE Beast Wars, and have all of the original transmetal figures, but no surprise, can't handle them now because the chrome flakes off. I've pondered getting the transart figures to have something that I can actually handle and enjoy, but in almost any picture, aside from Megatron and tm2 Cheetor, they all look (I think) just like the original figures. Am I totally off in that regard, or are they essentially remakes of the original figures?

12. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

The only one I still have is TA Primal, so I can only speak for that one but suspect all others are the same.

At first I also wanted to consider it an upscaled and improved KO. It just looks so similar, just larger and with articulation. But it isn't. If you put them next to each other (and I've since sold my OG so can't do that anymore -- though I do still have Apelinq somewhere), then there are many small differences.

No doubt they had access to the originals, it's not unlikely they copied some things, but these are originals and not simply OS KO's. It's just that the original BW TM figures were already very show accurate, thus making MP figures of these characters results in high level of similarity.

• Like Like x 1
  13. das_hermit

das_hermit Decepticons forever!

I have Rattrap, TM Megatron, and Ravage.
    Rattrap at least has some major improvements.
    Megatron has a few tweaks but is largely just an upgraded version of the old toy that won't crumble into dust thanks to GPS. Still cool but not as good as Rattrap.
    Ravage is beautiful, albeit with a naff altmode. I wish they'd given him wrist swivels but besides that he's crazy-expressive and looks like he just walked offscreen.

I'll probably get the TM2 Dinobot too, though based on TransArt's track record I'll wait for the reissue.

They're worth it IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    Didn't I hear that Rattrap has an abysmal transformation?

15. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Personally, my only complaint about the transformation is that there are some panels that have some pretty tricky clearences, and are on thinner hinges. You need to be very watchful, and unfortunately, I wasn't and made an error that has resulted in on eof the planels getting a bit bent on the hinge. It's still 100% fine, it looks okay, I just need to be extra careful during transformation.

Otherwise, it's a more involved transformation that you need to learn and get used to, with a few nuanced parts. It isn't the worst, but if you are easily frustrated it can be an unideal situation.

16. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I suppose the nice thing about me being late to the party is being able to get the 2.0 rattrap, and the revised Megatron. 2 other questions, if you don't mind: is there any one video reviewer that does good critiques of this line, and is blackarachnia a remold of Tarantulas, or is she an entire new figure?

17. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Blackarachnia came before Tarrantulus, and they are entirely separate figures. Though, I'm not sure why they wouldn't be, as post season 1, they weren't similar in any way. Only their season 1 forms have the potential to be repaints/remolds like the original.

In terms of critiques, there are a few reviewers out there with varying opinions. Overall, from the fandom, most people tend to agree that TransArts figures are not simple knockoffs but siginificant upgrades from the original. They are generally very good figures with good updates on transformation, paint, and sculpt, but almost always have some significant and confusing drawback that leaves people scratching their heads. None of the figures are perfect, but if you are worried about them feeling too similar to the original, I don't think that's actually the case with almost any of them. In hand, they all feel like significant upgrades.

If you want to know what each figures major flaws are, as nearly all of them have one, or more info about any specific figure, feel free to ask.

• Like Like x 3
  18. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    Thanks! On a VERY cursory glance, BA and Tarantulas looked similar enough that I just wanted to make sure they weren't remolds of each other. I'm looking around and I think I'll have to get most of them on Aliexpress, but that shouldn't be an issue.

19. Architects

Architects Well-Known Member

My issues personally with Rattrap is how flimsy the plastic is that connect the arms to the body and how loose the shoulder joints got after like a week. I had to jam some plastic wrap in there to tighten the joint. He looks great but has a lot of QC to be desired.

20. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    Any idea if there's a difference between the v1 and v2 in terms of quality?