Minor/Repaint: Trailer articulation for Optimus action set

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Hoptimus, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Hoptimus

Hoptimus How I roll.

News Credits:
    Trailer articulation for Cyberverse Optimus AND Megatron action sets

Stumbled on this today, a simple way to let the trailer for the OP Action Set turn. Look at the 3 cylinders underneath the front of the trailer. Cut down the center one as shown. Find yourself a 3mm clip system ball-jointed peg that fits into that cylinder and cut the ball end off. (Can't remember where I got the one I used, sorry.) Verify it will clip onto OP's hitch as shown, trim as necessary. EDIT- obviously, do not glue the post into the trailer or you'll waste about 5 minutes of work.

Done correctly, it will let the trailer sit at the original height and rotate. Se below, I also added another OP pic of the new post fitted to the trailer and cab.

EDIT- Megatron and his trailer were a little more involved than OP’s, but it’s done.

You’ll need to install a peg just in front of the C-clip on the underside of the trailer, on that leg that folds out. I used the skinny end of a TF missile, from ROTF Mixmaster, I think; it has a thinner section at the end, which is the part I inserted into the hole I drilled in front of the clip on the trailer part. Work carefully so you don’t break through the side of that slender part. Once you’ve drilled it, just glue the peg in place.

Now look at the clip post on Megatron’s truck chassis. Cut off the post and the sides that hold it, so you’re left with a flat square. Now remove the screw that holds that part onto his leg, but leave the part in place. Drill a hole in the center, slightly larger than the free end of the peg you just installed on the trailer. You’ll also have to cut down the post that fits into that square piece from the opposite leg, as it will interfere with the peg; don’t cut it all the way, just leave a little bit. In my case, it became hard to close the legs up for alt mode after cutting down that post, so I glued the square piece onto the opposite leg. The alt mode still holds together perfectly, nice and tight.

Now just plop the trailer’s new peg into the new hole on the back of the cab section and you’re done. See below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now THAT actually makes me consider getting this mold - nice work!

3. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Cool

4. Hoptimus

Hoptimus How I roll.

News Credits:
    DUH! I just realized, you can't glue it in or you'll defeat the porpoise. I mean, purpose. Ignore the crazy man behind the keyboard!

this also serves to pull the trailer away from the back of the cab a bit, more realistic looking.

5. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    I love your mod, since the unmoving trailer bugged me from the first day I got him!
    Now figure out a way to 'fix' Megatron...

Also, you can edit your first post to get rid of the 'glue it in' part... :) 

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This is really cool. Any chance you can shoot some more photos of the work you've done?

7. Hoptimus

Hoptimus How I roll.

News Credits:
    EDIT- Megatron's done! Pics and write-up at the top. (My good camera is AWOL since my recent family trip, hence the phone pics, sorry.)