Tracking the MCU Infinity Stones

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by MatrixOfWumbo, Jun 11, 2017.

1. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    The following discusses elements from most of the 21 films of the Marvel Cinematic Universe prior to Avengers: Endgame, but in particular now includes spoilers from Captain Marvel. If you don't wish to be spoiled, proceed with caution. All spoilers unrelated to Captain Marvel will be unmarked.

I wrote this up a while back to keep track of Marvel's multicolored magguffins. Many of the Infinity Stones have histories that span the length and breadth of the MCU. I think we're just about done as of April 2019, but I don't know what the future holds and I'll keep updating this until the last Stone is unturned, so to speak.

Reality Stone:
    Screenshot_20190320-134238.png
    Malekith and the Aether, just prior to the original defeat of the Dark Elves.

Featured in Thor: The Dark World. The Reality Stone is the most volatile of the six Infinity Stones, typically existing as a gaseous cloud known as the Aether. Thor's grandfather Bor sealed the Aether away in a pocket dimension to conceal it from the Dark Elves, who coveted it as a means to return the universe to primordial darkness.

The Reality Stone lay dormant for centuries until the Convergence of the Nine Realms in 2013 brought it in contact with Midgard. Emerging from a hibernation of his own, the leader of the Dark Elves - Malekith - made a play for the Aether that brought him into conflict with Thor. Knowing how vulnerable Asgard would be with two Infinity Stones in its vaults, Loki (masquerading as Odin) split them up. The Reality Stone was sent to Taneleer Tivan, the "Collector," in Knowhere.

Despite the Collector's residence being destroyed a year later by the Power Stone, the red Stone remained in his safekeeping for 4 years, until Thanos arrived personally to lay waste to Knowhere and take the Stone in his crusade against life.

The Reality Stone's power varies greatly, including casting illusions, bending forms beyond the laws of physics or geometry, and even condensing points in space together when fully unbridled. Attempts to use the Reality Stone in more controlled efforts last only as long as the wielder's concentration allows. Like most if not all the Infinity Stones, the Reality Stone is extremely harmful to mortals that come into direct contact with it. It integrates into their bodies like a virus, destroying from within.
    [​IMG]
    The Collector holds the condensed Reality Stone.

Soul Stone:
    Screenshot_20190319-191149.png
    Thanos wakes up with the Reality Stone in his hand.

Featured in Avengers: Infinity War. Moreso than its siblings, the Soul Stone has been hidden from the annals of history. The records at Kamar Taj consider this to be the most dangerous Infinity Stone, perhaps because of rumors of the price associated with it. The amber Stone demands "a Soul for a Soul," and it is alleged that that soul must be from the one the prospective wielder holds most dear. The Stone contains within it a voidlike Amber dreamscape where this soul and likely any others collected by it remain.

Thanos' former servant Gamora tracked the location of the Soul Stone to the planet Vormir and concealed the information from her adoptive father, knowing that he would never be able to realize his plan without it. The Mad Titan; however, was able to coerce the location from her by torturing her sister Nebula. Though Thanos claimed to love Gamora, that love was eclipsed by his desire to murder half of the universe. She too fell to his lust for death and the Soul Stone became his.

Mind Stone:
    Screenshot_20190320-113824.png

Ultron with the Mind Stone.

Featured in The Avengers: Age of Ultron, but appeared first in The Avengers under a different guise. The Mind Stone opens the minds of those in contact with it, allowing an influx of great knowledge, but also the intrusion of stronger minds. It was the only Stone Thanos had in his possession prior to Phase 1 of the MCU.

Thanos offered Loki rule over the Earth in exchange for retrieving the Tesseract, and to aid him the Asgardian was given a scepter with the Mind Stone in its head. Though Loki used it to amass a following of hypnotized SHIELD agents, he was defeated amd the scepter was taken from him.
    [​IMG]
    Loki tries to use his scepter on Tony Stark.

The scepter remained in SHIELD custody until the revelation that it had been infiltrated by HYDRA caused the organization to dissolve in 2014. One of the many splintered factions of HYDRA brought the scepter to Sokovia, where Baron Strucker used it in a series of human experiments. Strucker's compound was raided by the Avengers in 2015 and the scepter was taken back to their base, but not before Strucker successfully used it to grant enhanced abilities to the Maximoff Twins.

Tony Stark found a neural network inside the scepter and merged it with his prototype peacekeeping AI, Ultron. Ultron would later remove the stone from the scepter and place it in the forehead of a new body, which became the Vision. The Stone was so tightly integrated into the Vision's mind that it was left in his protection until the final phase of Thanos' conquest in 2018.
    Screenshot_20190320-132145.png
    [​IMG]
    The Vision submits to a brain scan in Wakanda.

Time Stone:
    [​IMG]

The Time Stone inside the Eye of Agamotto.

Featured in Doctor Strange. The Time Stone allows its user to manipulate time itself, including creation of stable time loops and locally rewinding time's flow. Agamotto the First Sorcerer developed a number of temporal spells using the eye, and as such all effects of the Time Stone resemble the otnate geometric discs of the other magics taught at Kamar-Taj.

The green Stone was entrusted to Agamotto generations ago to protect the universe from extradimensional threats. He stored it inside the Eye relic that bears his name, and left it in under the guard of his pupils in the inner sanctum of Kamar-Taj's library. In time that Eye came to rest around the neck of Stephen Strange,

Space Stone:
    [​IMG]
    The Red Skull with the Tesseract in his lab.

Featured in Captain America: The First Avenger, and the Avengers, long ago the Space Stone was contained inside a relic called the Tesseract. The Tesseract was brought to Midgard at some point by Odin, the King of Asgard, and hidden in a church in Norway. Generations kept watch over it until Johann Schmidt seized it for HYDRA and used it to make powerful weapons. Was in the possession of SHEILD for decades after WWII until its theft by Loki at the behest of Thanos. Howard Stark's time studying the cube lead to the development of the Arc Reactor, which is why the Red Skull's weapons have the same high-pitched sound and blue glow as Iron Man's repulsors. Thor brought the Tesseract to Asgard after the Avengers secured it from Loki. It was still in Odin's Treasure Room years later when Hela took over Asgard in Thor: Ragnarok. Survived the release of Surtur in Loki's posession. The Tesseract's energy can be used to disintegrate matter, as well as open worm holes to allow instant teleportation. The discharge resembles nebulas or black hole event horizons. Age of Ultron confirmed that the blue Stone itself is inside the Tesseract, which is otherwise likely an ordinary Cosmic Cube.

Power Stone:
    [​IMG]
    The Power Stone is unveiled in the Collector's residence.

Featured in Guardians of the Galaxy. No single stone has the raw destructive potential of the Power Stone. The Stone imbues any living thing it touches with omnipotence, but unless the wielder has the means of containing that power it will consume them (and all other life for miles around) in an all-consuming burst of violet flame.

The purple Stone was kept in a temple on Morag, inside an orb protecting mortal hands from its intense energies. The planet later heated drastically, causing the surface to flood and drain on a 300 year cycle. At the neap of this cycle in 2014 two beings made efforts to obtain the Stone from the ruins of Morag. The Collector - already possessing one Infinity Stone - contacted a Xandarian named The Broker, who in turn hired the Ravager fleet helmed by Yondu Udonta. The renegade Kree Accusor Ronan sought the Orb for Thanos in exchange for the destruction of the planet Xandar.

The Orb would be retrieved by Peter Quill and - despite the Stone temporarily falling into the hands of Ronan - Quill's unlikely crew was able to safely deliver the Power Stone to the custody of the Nova Corps. In 2018 Thanos' forces assaulted Xandar in the opening salvo of his quest for the Infinity Stones, and the Nova Corps fell.

The Infinity Gauntlet:
    The glove in which the six Stones can be set. It's unknown how many Gauntlets have been produced across history, though with only 6 Stones in existence it seems unlikely that there are many. The design is Dwarven, produced by the Star Forges of Nidavellir. This further tie to the Norse Cosmology of the MCU suggests that the right-handed glove in Odin's treasury was a "fake," as Hela regarded it in Thor: Ragnarok, not because there was only one but because of the false gems sitting inside it. Thanos' Gauntlet was, er, commissioned at least three years prior to crusade beginning in earnest.

[​IMG]
    Thanos' Gauntlet at the end of Age of Ultron

The Gauntlet is explicitly stated to "harness the power of the Stones," allowing the sometimes raw nature of the Infinity Stones to be contained. Individual Stones can be willed to life, signified by which ones happen to be glowing in their apertures. A good example of this is when Thanos is able to burn Thor's face with the Power Stone, instead of consuming him outright like all previous examples of the Stone's reaction to flesh.

Unlike their comic counterparts these Stones cannot be controlled or even touched by mortal hands. The Red Skull was sucked into the void on contact with the Tesseract, and the Collector's servant spontaneously combusted upon touching the Power Stome. The Power Stone's energy can be diffused through several bodies allowing a mortal limited control of it, but it is unknown if this is true for all six Stones. The Stones can be handled safely when contained in other vessels, but whether the material is important is not clear. Such safe vessels include the Eye of Agamotto and the Morag Orb. The Cosmic Cube in which the Space Stone sits is not such a safe vessel. No material has been known to "conduct" the energies of a Stone to make it unsafe for mortals to handle (Bruce Banner held the scepter with no ill effects, for instance). Even with this protection however, multiple Stones can still cause a great strain on the user. Whenever Thanos added a new Stone to the Infinity Gauntlet he experienced a brief moment of physical pain. And all 6 Stones were used together, they caused severe burning to his left arm, and to the metal of the Gauntlet itself.

The Mind Stone, either by token of its unique powers or its connection to Vision's brain, allowed its scion to feel the presence of other Stones and other Stone wielders.

Of particular departure from the comics is the ability for the Stones to be destroyed. The only way to accomplish this though is with the power of another Stone, a̶n̶d̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶g̶r̶e̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶m̶o̶u̶n̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶f̶a̶c̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶c̶r̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ and even then through great effort.

The Sorcerors of Kamar Taj knew that the Eye held one of the Stones, and had records of most of them, Wong being aware that a number of Earth based threats occurred due to the appearance of the Infinity Stones. It is unknown whether the keepers of the Tesseract had any such knowledge.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  2. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Calling it again for Thor: Ragnarok (Since Guardians 2 took place immediately after the first movie):

Post-credits scene setting up Infinity War where Thanos retrieves the Aether/Reality Stone from Knowhere and kills Tivan.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I would say Thanos attacking Asgard for the Space Stone would be more of a Ragnarok scenario.

• Like Like x 2
  4. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Great article! This is actually 10x better than most listicles on the Infinity Gems that most online writers get paid to do.

Just a small note, I believe GotG retconned the whole holding hands thing with the fact that Starlord was part cosmic being so he was able to handle the Power stone unscathed. The first GotG showed a bunch of aliens "holding hands" (if you count those thread like appendages as hands) and they still got disintegrated.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I think Starlord's Celestial DNA was what made them survive, but they definitely shared the burden (which that earlier scene setting the climax up).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I'm mostly finished adding pictures to the list (unless they look like garbage on desktop).

What do you think the connection is between Asgard and the Infinity Stones? Schmidt refers to the Tesseract as the "Jewel of Odin's Treasure Room," and knowledge of the Stones is fairly widespread among the Gods that dwell there. Will the stones be another creation of the Asgardians?

7. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think Heimdall will be revealed to be the soul stone. Eyes are gold/orange and he possesses the ability to see anyone within the MCU. Not to mention the odd Thor nightmare during age of ultron showing him with grey eyes and then seeing the infinity gauntlet.

8. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    that's what scares me....i'm going to cry....he's my 1# favorite asgardian.....

9. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Hmm. That's an interesting idea. I wasn't sold on it until I remembered his vision.

10. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Updated a few minor things based on the new Thor movie.

Heimdall exhibits a few new powers with his vision, for those of you who subscribe to the Heimdall theory.

11. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    I completely forgot about the last Infinity Stone while watching the movie. xD That one still has to show up. Better not be Heimdall! D8

12. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    After the events of Thor Ragnarok, I think Loki has the Tesseract/Space Stone again in his possession. I mean, he stopped, stared at it and the scene cut...you know he had to have grabbed it, otherwise...it is floating in space.

13. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    And, the Infinity War footage
    shows him presenting it to what is probably Thanos.

14. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure it would have been destroyed if it were still on Asgard, but either way there's no way he didn't take it. The question is, did he call Thanos or did Thanos find him? They did have an outstanding transaction to deal with...

15. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    So, in the trailer, the way the Space Goes into Thanos' gauntlet with that magnetic floatiness, where have we seen that before? It looks really familiar, but I checked the footage and it isn't the way the Mind or Power Stones go into Vision's head or Ronan's hammer.

16. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I found a new worst thing.
    15 Ways The MCU Ruined The Infinity Gauntlet

17. Incepticon

Incepticon This place ain't what it used to be...

News Credits:
    It's things like this that make me thankful I'm not a comic book reader - no room for the tired old "ahhh but in the comics/book..." disappointments or comparisons.

18. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    It is weird that the colors don't match. But it isn't wrong and it doesn't ruin anything. Just like the decision to name them Stones instead of Gems, which I'm surprised isn't on the list for how much it takes the comics as gospel.

Not to mention the things that it gets blatantly wrong, like the one about the Power Stone and the thing about the Infinity Gauntlet in Asgard.

19. Incepticon

Incepticon This place ain't what it used to be...

News Credits:
    Fair enough, but that's sort of my point. As a fan of the Marvel movies, I don't know one way or another about what's different or been changed from the comics. I have a good buddy who's a big comic nerd, so he always tries pointing this stuff out whenever a new MCU movie comes out. Every single time he starts a sentence with "If you ever read the comics...", I always immediately cut him off with "I. Don't. Care". It's a somewhat humourous broken record, haha.

20. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Yeah, I didn’t like that list. At all. It seems just like pointless nitpicking to me.

The movies aren’t going to adapt the comics to an absolute tee, that’s why they are referred to as BASED OFF OF.

It’s one thing to compare the movies to the comics to see how they differ. But to point out what’s wrong with said differences, nope.