Minor/Repaint: TR Voyager Soundwave

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ZachimusPrime, Dec 15, 2018.

1. ZachimusPrime

ZachimusPrime toys.

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    So, this is TR Megatron with Apeface’s head painted to look like Soundwave. I felt this turned out really well. The chest even opens because of TR Megatron’s head pillar gimmick. I know this is rather amateur, but I still felt like I should share. 72BE38A6-8A7D-473F-B0D2-8166E850717B.jpeg 070AF1A1-6942-4867-8BCB-5F7E5EAE55B3.jpeg 45D31579-5470-4C90-9267-41FA2993A83F.jpeg

• Like Like x 27
  2. DJsCustoms

DJsCustoms Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You clearly have a good grasp on visualizing where to paint and the drive to do it. That's the most important thing to get down.
    The paintwork is sloppy, but it's also not awful. Most of these areas can actually be cleaned up very easily. If you want to do it cheap, you can actually just use a toothpick to clean up details like the crotchplate buttons. Simply dip the tip into the paint bottle and smudge it around the area to blend it. It's not the best option, but it's a great place to start.

Another thing that would help greatly is using painter's tape. Even if you're not spraypainting, it can help a lot with painting straight lines for the arms/cassette deck.

Lastly is that areas you leave unpainted like the left foot can actually be cleaned up with an exacto knife if you're careful with it. Use the backside to lightly scrap the paint off.

Hope this helps. If not, ignore me.

• Like Like x 10
  3. ZachimusPrime

ZachimusPrime toys.

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Ignore you? Definitely not! These tips are exactly what I needed, especially the tape. I’m pretty much the farthest you can get from a professional or expierneced customizer, so thank you a million.

• Like Like x 9
  4. My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe

My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe Well-Known Member

Hey look, a level-headed response!

What type of paint did you use? I would recommend acrylics due to the relative lack of fumes it gives, its reaction to plastic, and a lack of a need for primer if you choose so. Enamels have a tendency to eat up rubbery plastics and have an excessive drying time, and lacquers are pricy and give off a lot of fumes.

You could get an airbrush, but that is a huge investment and brings in more factors to worry about (ventilation, paint dilation, humidity, nozzle size, single vs. double action, compressors, etc.). Hand brushing is significantly more accessible and budget friendly.
    Layman's Gunpla Guide - Hand Painting Tutorial | Otaku Revolution

I would recommend the new Vallejo Mecha Color acrylics due to its durability.
    Vallejo - Mecha Color Paint

Vallejo Mecha Color is pretty thin and runny, but having an acrylic thinner to thin out thick paints and to clean brushes with would be a good idea.
    https://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-Thinner-Medium-17-ml/dp/B000KYLBZE

Use good actual quality brushes (not that Testors garbage). Tamiya brushes would be a good place to start with.
    Tamiya Kits Modeling Brush Basic Set Tam87066 | eBay

Don't mix paints inside the jars that they come in! That would ruin that whole container of paint. Use a mixing plate:
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobby-paint-mixing-plate-12pcs.html

When masking, use modeling masking tape for neat and sharp lines and brace your arm against something in order to stabilize your hand.
    Tamiya Masking Tape Refill 6mm 87033 695974579982 | eBay

Some people prefer dissembling figures before painting while others like to paint figures as a whole (it depends on your plans and whether or not the paint might get into the joints). Here's a center punch to make taking out metal pins easier.
    https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-6580-Automatic-Center-Punch/dp/B0037UUO60

Old thread:
    Customs: - best tool for pin punching?

This is all the basics and you might find more advanced elsewhere on the net or on TFW2005.

I would also strongly recommend experimenting on a couple of cheap junker figures from flea markets/eBay or disposable plastic spoons to practice on. It all about learning, trial and error, and researching.

Hope this helped. I ruined a lot of good figures and wasted a lot of money when I began.

• Like Like x 6
  5. ReximusPrimal07

ReximusPrimal07 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you need some help with painting straighter use some tape and a ruler so if you mess up when you are done rip off the paint and you get straight lines. Nice work on this btw this is very cool

6. ZachimusPrime

ZachimusPrime toys.

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Haha ;)  I hope so. I saw no reason to be shitty towards him. He was very helpful.

And so were you! Thanks for all the great tips. These are acrylic, I quickly realized those were the best. And yeah, I’d say I just need some practice on making the lines straighter and refining it. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  7. ZachimusPrime

ZachimusPrime toys.

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Thanks!

8. The13Primes

The13Primes hot shot fanatic

News Credits:
    This actually looks rather good
    Again with what everyone else said I might also add if the want to make the visor better (no eyes) use an old credit card, plastic tabs from bread or some moldable clay (Tamaiya make a good one I use) to cover it

• Like Like x 1
  9. JomasterII

JomasterII The Space Consultant from Jolo

News Credits:
    Yeah, as others have said the paintwork's pretty sloppy. Masking tape is your best friend when it comes to straight lines! Can confirm from experience.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    This. Masking tape is so awesome yet so simple. You could probably use it on this and clean up the edges if you want to touch it up. I've done that with some of my earlier customs.

11. Thatsjustkreo67

Thatsjustkreo67 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Alt mode pics please?

12. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    I would also add that painting with several, thinner coats/layers of paint, is better than less/one coat/s as less coats tend to be thicker. I also recommend using slightly wider or longer brushes for bigger areas to avoid brush marks (which using smaller brushes in larger areas tends to achieve).

• Like Like x 1
  13. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Super creative, well done.

You'll definitely want to go with a more smoothed out, watered down paint next time....and paint it on layer by layer by layer, slowly. Build it up. The end result will be that level of paint coverage that we all strive for, but excitement gets the best of us, and we wind up piling it up too thick. (myself included)

Keep it up!

• Like Like x 1
  14. EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly Sucker for a GERWALK Mode

Wow, great recipe that never dawned on me! I own the linebacker version of Soundwave from TR, and I legitimately would have preferred a version like this. The first attempts at custom painting aren't bad at all, and if you choose to try to update it using the advice in this thread, please post more pics! This is great!

• Like Like x 1
  15. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Wow, that works surprisingly well. Nice job!

• Like Like x 1
  16. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    That looks really cool.

I'd suggest if you just want to smooth the paint a bit, you could take a fine sanding sponge and sand it very lightly as to make the paint a little more even.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ZachimusPrime

ZachimusPrime toys.

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Many thanks!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Oh one other thing, paint from lighter colors first to darker. It's easier to put a dark blue over yellow, than a yellow over a dark blue.

• Like Like x 1
  19. KhromeReaper157

KhromeReaper157 Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    looks good