TR Apeface Custom Help

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Icantthinkofagoodname, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Icantthinkofagoodname

Icantthinkofagoodname Amateur Transformers customizer

I am considering making a Titans Return Apeface figure to go with my other G1 Titans Return figures. The only problem is, I don't know what figure I should use as a base or if I should try using parts from multiple figures. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be extremely helpful

2. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    I would go with titians return astrotrain he already has 1 alt mode down and he shares alot of the same colours infact ive just put the head on mine and stuck with it.

i dont think it will be to hard to use the train feet to make ape feet and i dont think it would be to hard to hide a ape head inside the cockput peice and have it come out i suppose you can cheat and keep the robot arms the same arms the ape mode uses

3. Icantthinkofagoodname

My only issue with using Astrotrain is that his primary vehicle mode is a shuttle, not a jet. Not a bad suggestion, though

4. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    well if your not afraid of repainting and him being abit smaller then i presonaly think he should be blurrs body has some potential as well as it has been showen to have a fan mode thats a jet, also on top of that he has that emptey chest to work with

5. Icantthinkofagoodname

Can you find a picture of the fan mode?

6. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    someone maybe able to find it, its hidden deep in the titian wars appreciation thread

7. BottleOfFuture

BottleOfFuture Weaponizer

I saw someone who used CW Cyclonus. It can do a decent gorilla mode if you mess with the bot mode a bit

8. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    what mode is most important to you?

I recommend hardhead if you are going for a repaint.

Blur had that sleeker look for the jet mode I guess, but Hardhead has tracks that mimic Apeface's jet mode also, and the cockpit lines of up pretty good.

plus in robot mode, he has that chest plate thing, plus his beefcake proportions match him better than others imo,

I pulled the wings off my astro train, and the titan vehicle (actual titan apeface) can plug into his head loosely (you could just shorten the peg for a better fit) and you can fake a jet mode.

Hope this give you some ideas.
    In the below bot mode (first pic) I just un-extended Hardhead's arms to give more chunky look to his arm.
    He also has some groove in his arms that you could easily make some custom small wings and file down to fir in the " [ " " - " shape slots, which he has two of on each shoulder side - one vertical, one horizontal.

He also has red wheels on his legs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just made two of those modes now (red desk background), the other one (gorilla with apeface mode) was on the net ages back, actually here on TFW but I just looked it up on google images, his legs as basically just bent behind him, I mean you can do that "gorilla" mode with just about any figure.

For the jet mode, the legs CAN separate, and you could put some filler piece in their to give him more bulk (where apeface has a big white rectangle between pink wings.

I guess it matter more if you are going for an actual build mod, or just more repaint.

The astro-wings are just sitting there, not attached to anything. But if you had a removable panel to fill up that gap between the legs, you could make an anchor point for the wings (which have their own hinge, plastic only, no pin or anything) and then you could pop the whole section off to keep the toy transformable.

The hardhead in apemode is the weakest imo, it's a cool pic, but part trick photography (forced perspective) as if you look at him straight on, he's like facing the dirt.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

How 'bout this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  10. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    before you make any customs, wait a week for NYCC, maybe we'll see a real TR Apeface, more than just the head

• Like Like x 1
  11. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

That's super cool, but maybe you should consider attaching an ape-ish face to the back of the Headmaster's legs so you can turn the head around for the ape mode?

Because as much I love Apeface's... face... it's about as un-animalistic as you can get this side of Shockwave.

12. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Yeah I was thinking about that....not sure how I'd go about accomplishing that though. :( 

13. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Could you use the head of the Real Gears Xbox controller/robot ape toy?
    Probably get one cheap on ebay

14. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Not sure I follow. What's that?

15. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Whippin Dem Fungals

News Credits:
    He means this guy: High Score 100 (2007) - Autobot - www.tfu.info
    I wouldn't exactly say he's cheap though. There's one missing and arm on ebay now for $7, but most I've seen are $15+.

16. scrapmetaru

scrapmetaru Well-Known Member

While creative, I generally find Hardhead's monkey mode to be unconvincing. Plus, being only three confirmed and/or photo leaked waves in, I highly recommend waiting for one of two things: a better base mold for your custom or an official full-bod.

17. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    This, Apeface is on the latest list of rumored Voyagers, so you're probably going to end up making this and then finding out that a better, official version is coming out.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Icantthinkofagoodname

Actually, if someone could make a decent gorilla mode using mindwipe, I think that may work

19. Cooktimus Prime

Cooktimus Prime Well-Known Member

I've thought about this as well. I was actually thinking of using Alpha Trion. He has an animal mode and a ship mode. Maybe find some way to convert the lion head to an ape. I don't know just a thought.