Tprime really, REALLY loves Transformers!

Discussion in 'Transformers Collection Showcase' started by Tprime, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Tprime

Tprime Well-Known Cybertronian

Hello TFW2005ers!
    I've been wanting to share my collection for the longest time but it kept growing and changing so I kept putting it off, thinking I wasn't ready to showcase it yet. I finally decided it will always be a work in progress and I should just post some pictures to get it started and add more later.

So the house I currently live in doesn't have much free space to allow for a large display, but I managed to talk my wife into allowing me to have this dark corner of the room:

20190804_234205_v2.jpg

20190805_000401_v2.jpg

Autobots:

20190805_145112.jpg

20190804_235928.jpg

20190722_000654.jpg

20190805_000053.jpg

Decepticons:

20190804_235831.jpg

20190804_234724.jpg

20190804_234629.jpg

20190804_234540.jpg

Bonus pictures: Optimus!!!

20190805_005849.jpg

20190805_012332.jpg

Another bonus: Titan sized Devastator! Unfortunately he doesn't fit inside my case.

20190805_190117.jpg

One day I hope to be able to expand to either bigger cases or add more Detolfs so I can display the rest of my collection. My display brings me a lot of joy and some nights I find myself sitting in front of it just admiring the figures for hours. It makes me feel like a kid again. It's easily my favorite part of the house. :D 

Thanks for checking out my collection! Any feedback, questions, or suggestions are appreciated. Apologies in advance, photography is not my strong suit. I don't know how to capture good angles or effectively use lighting but wish I could be better at it. I am just using my cameraphone to snap these pictures and hopefully they turned out ok.

20190805_184257.jpg 20190804_234205.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 12
  2. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    Awesome collection! I love the setup.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cuters

cuters Diabolist

lookin good

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nemesis Scourge

Nemesis Scourge Unicron's finest

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Was never that big of a fan of Detolfs (I assume they are? Sure looks like them)... but that is a very nice setup you got there!

- What is that light setup you use for these? Looks really good and effective.
    - The Devy next to Bruticus... that is the smaller KO right? Are the hands customs or did you "just" paint them? How is yours quality wise?

Oh and since your wife just allows you a corner, always remember: A corner is formed by TWO sides! You can always put another one there, perhaps putting the then middle one at an angle.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tprime

Thank you! Knowing what I know now--- I wish I had gotten something else rather than Detolfs, because they are pretty narrow and I would appreciate wider shelves. They were cheap though and will do for now. I bought them with the mindset that they'd be starter displays :) 

I did some digging around on the internet, and came across this guy's page (and used google translate to translate it from German):

IKEA Detolf mit LEDs – Wireless Ultimate Version – J-Junk – Hardcore to the core

He basically figured out that since the frame is made out of metal, you can run 12V current through it in order to power LED's. A 12V power source is relatively safe and the metal frame of the Detolf is coated in some thick paint so that even if you touch it while electric current is running through it, you should feel nothing but if you did feel something, it would just be an insignificant and unpleasant shock. I've tested mine to be sure, and he's right... I feel nothing when I touch the frame. It is safe. I have one 12V 3A power source powering both cases.

If you really want to know more, I can elaborate some more maybe in a write-up, but the gist of it is each shelf contains an aluminum bracket that specifically has a channel to run a LED light strip through. I cut the brackets to create a frame and then used double sided tape to attach it to the bottom of each glass shelf. These brackets help hide the lights and they are pointing down at a 45 degree angle at the figures. Each of the brackets has a milky frosted cover to help diffuse the lighting as well. Then to power them I used the method in the link but decided to still use some minimal wires and connectors so that the shelves could be modular, meaning I could take a shelf out and still have the rest of it work. It may seem complicated but it wasn't. To me, I liked this look better and it seemed easier than drilling into the base to run wires through and attempt to hide it on the frame.

Yes, the one in the case is the undersized KO which I custom painted the forearms and hands. The quality on mine is pretty good, I was impressed considering it was a KO. Any existing design flaw issues still exist, but everything just feels better in the smaller version. I feel one the biggest problems of the Titan sized figure is being able to support his own weight. He can barely lift his arms up above his waist and can't even hold the weight of his gun. With the undersized KO, the same problems still exist but I feel does a better job at supporting its own weight due to everything being lighter. Maybe that is in my head, I dunno, that is what it seems like to me. As far as plastic quality and build--- I think it's great and have no complaints. I really appreciate being able to fit him in next to the other combiners in my display. To be fair though, I haven't done much transforming with him. It came assembled as Devastator and the most I did was reconnect all the joints to ensure that all the connection points were stable for display.

I am happy with how everything looks for now but we'll see how long that lasts! :D 

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. TooManyCats

TooManyCats Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    First, let me say that you have put together an excellent collection. You do a great job of giving everything the right amount of room without letting it get cramped. Some people really prefer the stuffed shelf look, but today's figures pose so well they really deserve a bit of space!

I can relate to your post so much that I feel like I could have written it myself! I'm in the same boat; too much of a collection, limited to two detolfs, lots of awesome siege stuff to display and a prime collection to boot.

Your photography looks pretty good to me- Detolfs are pretty tough to capture really well but I think you nailed it. Looking forward to some updates as you get a chance! (I see that Classics Skywarp...;)  )

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tprime

Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate it very much! With more shelves I would look to space everybody out even more than they are so they can get some proper showcasing. I'm trying to squeeze the most out of the limited real estate I have right now. The one shelf I have that feels cramped to me is the 1986 Movie shelf but I absolutely can not leave any of those figures out of that.. it's tough! lol

Siege Skywarp.. yes, I think he's one of the last updates to make. Good thing he's only a few weeks away now

If you ever post your collection, please share!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  8. Vasili

Vasili Well-Known Member

Awesome display... I love how you mixed different lines together!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mr.GamBit

Mr.GamBit Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Kudos on your setup, nothing wrong with good old detolfs; plenty to see from every side :) . There’s a guide floating on the internet that shows you how to ‘fuse’ two detolfs together with little to no effort. Gives your more display options, width-wise.

I might copy that led setup because it all looks very, very clean. Highlight of your collection has to be all the space. All the figures get their room to shine. I’m digging the sassy darkwind and dreadwing.

Would you be so kind to tell me which stands you’re using? And are those risers I as well? It looks pretty professional, honestly.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tprime

Thanks! I've seen the double detolf guide. Pretty neat and I would do it but currently have no access to any wood cutting tools. I need to find me a friend with a woodshop lol

The stands I am using are a mixture of the Bandai Tamashii Stage Act 4 and Stage Act 5 stands. Both are about the same in capacity and function but the Act 5 has a ratcheting arm if you wanted to display anything at an angle. I am using risers, all of it I found at Daiso

11. Tprime

Some updated pictures:

20191009_235753.jpg

20191009_235831.jpg

20191009_235901.jpg

20191010_000003.jpg

20191010_000036.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Nemesis Scourge

Nemesis Scourge Unicron's finest

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    OMG! ROFL! I assume you did not see my location! XD

BTT: I like the new photos!

The trailer with the Autobots standing one - which one is that? I can tell it is one from the movie toylines (but that hat two different ones for the DOTM serie - one for Hasbro Deluxe OP one for Takara Voyager OP remold)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tprime

Thank you!

lol you can read the site in its original language

The trailer is from the DOTM Ultimate Optimus set. (butterfly Optimus) It was the longest and widest trailer I had so it made for a good base for all of them to stand on. I have Takara's DOTM DA-03 Voyager Optimus trailer as well but it just seemed too small compared to the Ultimate one

Maybe I can switch it out in the future with Earthrise Optimus' new trailer, that's an idea!

• Like Like x 1