Toyworld TWD Dino Combiner

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by triknot, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    That second set of pics with the action shot of painted Muddy looks great. That is definitely a figure I'll be keeping in bot mode. They really knocked it out of the park I with their bot modes.

2. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hate when I do that. Right now I have my GC Sludge and Felisaber in the same order. I really hope they are close to each other.

3. wingheaven7

wingheaven7 Well-Known Member

Toyworld is nailing the faces on these guys. Just enough G1 to evoke nastalgia, but also updated enough not to be completely slavish to the originals. Their subtle expressions are also perfect.

I think these might be the best looking CHUG sized Dinobots out of what's available so far.

4. Deceptimatrix

Deceptimatrix Warrior Elite

They really do. Chunky/robust/poseable G1 goodness

5. dedguy

dedguy Well-Known Member

I have three of their figures right now, Black Orion, Hegemon, and Swamper and really like all three. Look forward to picking up their dinos but I have no idea when.

6. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

I feel the same (so far at least) my only sticking point is the chrome. With a lack of chrome on my classics shelves, I'm afraid these will look silly.

7. wingheaven7

wingheaven7 Well-Known Member

I would not wait if possible. Toyworld stuff does not fly off shelves, but when it's gone it tends to be really gone. Black Orion and hedgemon being the only exceptions so far and we all saw what the original hedgemon was going for.

I'm probably wrong but I remember reading something about these being limited to 1000 of each bot. Sounds like a lot but I'm sure they won't last for too long.

8. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm in that situation with Grind Rod. Finances would obviously dictate the feasibility, but if you can try not to wait too long.

9. dedguy

dedguy Well-Known Member

All the ones I have purchased I bought quite some time after they were originally up for sale and still had no issue buying them. If I miss out. No big. This isn't an absolute must for me.

10. drmick

drmick Well-Known Member

Isn't the current thinking on Triceratops that they are in fact just baby versions of another dinosaur?

So they can both be babies!

11. Skyfire87

Skyfire87 Phase 6r

Dawwwww baby dinosaws.

12. Rikerwota

Rikerwota Well-Known Member

There has been some studies as to whether triceratops are immature torosaurus...no definitive evidence yet.

13. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any word on a pre-order for the second dino at Captured Prey?

14. swOd

swOd Search and Wrescue

Opened Roar today, and man is he a stud! Big and chunky, blinged out and bad ass looking. Only niggle I have with it is the whole rotating plate that the shoulders are on. I keep thinking that those pieces that slide down from that are there to lock them in some how.

15. NotTheFace

NotTheFace Lightning Strike

That is kind of annoying, but my biggest complaint is that the weapons kind'a suck. I know they were made to store in dino mode, but yeah, the kind'a suck.
    I chopped up a red Dr. Wu Skybreaker to give him a better sword (I know the smaller blade goes in front, but when used as a non-Prime sword, it just looks better this way), but because of the huge forearms he has and the location of his hands (and no wrist swivel), I'm not sure if there are a lot of options for guns that he can use.

16. hoopa

hoopa Member

Got my roar tonight, and very impressed. I have noticed so far that one of the ratchets in the rear legs is non-existent, so hoping that's an easy fix.

I know roar has fairly ordinary weapons, but has no one thought of taking the gun barrel off the gun, and putting the sword in instead? You loose a gun, and on the tollerances on my sword a slightly off making it a little loose, but the gun+sword combo make a decent/columpio sized sword

17. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yay, my Roar is finally out for delivery today.

18. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    I don't have it in-hand yet. Pics please?

19. hoopa

hoopa Member

Not as impressive at columpios after reviewing the pics, and still not awesome weapons, but not too bad.

Overall I've been impressed.

There are a couple small QC issue that I've found. When transforming the front dino legs, there didn't seem to be enough clearance for the pins in the hinges. Got it there eventually, but it seems to be more that just tightness. Ratchet in left bot shoulder not there/working. I may be able to fix, but there is still a lot of friction in the joint, and I almost prefer it without the ratchet. Some signs of stress/swirly grey plastic, particularly on the hinges. It also a bit of learning experience to get him to stand. He almost swan dived over the edge after that photo. Overall all though very solid figure, and nothing that would stop me buying it again.

Attached Files:

20. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got Roar today. From a design and engineering standpoint, he's one of the weaker 3rd party figures I've gotten. Some major elements that don't lock into place, like his shoulders. Every time to try to pose the arms, the shoulders spin around. Some really tight clearances, transformation is a bit difficult just to get parts past one another.

Quality feels solid though, a nice hefty solid plastic. A tiny bit of Chrome came scratched off of the tail on mine, but it's right at the base of the tail near the connection point, so it's not. Too noticeable. As long as it doesn't spread, but it doesn't appear that it will.

I'm happy with him overall, I do really hope reprolabels does a set for him to give some detailing to his really plain torso. These are clearly designed with the combined mode as a first priority, and I will continue to purchase them with that in mind.