ToyWorld TW-T02 Aurora (Not-Searchlight)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by flywheels, Sep 20, 2012.

1. jop

jop Sesquipedaliacon

Absolutely. I think the only real area of contention is that I maintain that the ability of Hasbro and / or TakTomy to pursue intellectual property matters in China has improved in recent years. However, I also agree that that their hands will continue to be tied in regard to infringing parties that can indulge in essentially nomadic behavior; and that perhaps more importantly, much easier recourse is available by simple manipulation of domestic-end retailers.

I also agree that it is in Hasbro's best interests to remain silent where possible, and unspecific where not, in regard to the third party market. Such behavior may appear confounding to the fan populace, it it may prove infuriating when it comes to such matters as the Botcon third party product ban. From a legal standpoint though, it is not only understandable but quite recommended.

On a sidenote, I heart your use of the word 'aggreance'.

Precisely - one of the major tests of intellectual property infringement is metered upon whether or not an average consumer confuses an infringing product for an official one. Given that there is very little in the way of actual overlap between the savvy collectors that purchase primarily through online channels, and those purchasing on behalf of children through regular retail channels, it could be argued that that the third party market has little if any effect on the strength of Hasbro's brand. (Of course, it goes without saying that this is not effective defense against theft of Hasbro and TakTomy's engineering, marks, etc.)

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out, given that the third party market continues to grow at such an extraordinary rate. Will the market plateau (perhaps as a result of market saturation) prior to the point where Hasbro feel compelled to respond? Will Hasbro consider partnering with or even buying existing third party manufacturers, providing official status to the party in question and in return, offering Hasbro an inroad to the collector market? There are all sorts of ways in which the situation could go.

I apologize; I realize that my previous statement on this issue lacked clarity. Essentially, I agree with your assessment; that third party manufacturers do not take from Hasbro's bottom line, for the two compete in essentially different markets (one, as aforementioned, driven by collector's through online sales; the other, driven by children through traditional retail).

At the same time, I believe that not only the existence, but also rapid growth of the third party product market indicates that Hasbro are intentionally forgoing a segment that appears to both be growing and, if the prices associated with the likes of Hercules, Uranos, Giant, Feral Rex etc. are any indication, highly lucrative. In this sense, I would posit that they are mistakenly choosing not to seize a golden opportunity.

Bah! I'm very much looking forward to seeing more information on Aurora and his fellow Nottlebots, but until news is forthcoming, I'll happily settle for intelligent discussion instead. :) 

Hear hear!

There has been a great deal of discussion on the intersection between the third party market and intellectual property rights; and much of that discussion has been marred by contributions on both sides from posters that lack real insight on the subject. Ergo, the discussion frequently devolves into pointless repetition.

The above exchange is not an example of such circular go-around. It is a thoughtful, reasoned exchange; one in which perhaps both sides learn something new, as do bystanders. Quite frankly, if we had more discussions like the one above, then maybe the entire debate as a whole could move away from the sort of invariable dialogue you profess dislike for.

To be fair, you may not have noticed the difference between the two on account of the fact that, for all intents and purposes, you appear to be a blithering idiot.

2. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So who do you think the torso if Throttlelimus Maximus will be?

3. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    If I had to guess, it'll be a two bot assembly of Goldbug and Wideload. Like Devastator where one makes up the upper torso and the other, the lower torso and hip assebly.

4. FatedLazarus

FatedLazarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Via Planet Iacon. He looks cool but he is officially put on the back burner for me until some of this other stuff is handled. Wallet on overload.

[​IMG]

5. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Get in my POL now damn you!!!

6. ispayks

ispayks Active Member

News Credits:
  7. dwong1207

dwong1207 Well-Known Member

Sweet!

8. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Baka Mitai

Seriously? Not one picture of the bottom, to show who the next 'Bot is? EVIL. I know that it's probably on orders from TW, but still. EVIL.

9. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe they're waiting for whomever recieves it first. Surprise!

10. Oilspill

Oilspill Well-Known Member

I have Grind Rod, he's cool. But I'm not interested in forking out cash for Aurora when his alt mode does not capture Searchlight's original alt mode. So a pass for me.

Hardbone looks pretty decent - I'm wondering though, with FP doing headmasters, is there any chance of them doing Hardhead? I know they announced all the others, but not HH. I'd rather have all my headmasters in the same style if possible.

11. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    I like the Headmaster concept so I don't mind having the same figure from multiple companies as long as the design is unique.

12. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    along the lines of these guys being a combiner...

does anyone else see Wideload as the main body? or do you think he'll be the waist & hips ala Longhaul?

13. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seriously, my response was "WTF?!?" :lol 

14. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah... but this is as close as we're gonna get to a licensed Range Rover TF.
    Range Rover Evoque - Luxury Crossover SUV | Land Rover USA

15. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Baka Mitai

Since there are six, and Goldbug is probably the leader, I'd go with waist & hips.

16. jop

jop Sesquipedaliacon

Same here. Given the titular width of Wide Load, it makes sense for his analog to serve as the lower half of the combined mode torso. Similarly, the team leader role of Goldbug will most likely translate to his analog forming the upper torso.

17. NoisyDvL5

NoisyDvL5 Well-Known Member

I, too, lament the loss of Searchlight's sweet alt mode, but I think the figure turned out snazzy enough to buy.

Can't wait to see who's next!

18. PandaGash

PandaGash Hairy Bot

Robot Kingdom have Aurora down for shipping on the 19th Feb. Wonder if this is the same elsewhere? I get paid on the 19th, so if I can hold out until then, it means I have a spare £50 to spend this month!

19. Autobot78

Autobot78 G1er

News Credits:
    I wonder how much the figure with all the combining parts will be? Even more I'm wondering if the gestalt will look as solid as I think it will?

Attached Files:

20. dwong1207

dwong1207 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping the lack of a picture on the box is not a sign of things to come.