TOYWORLD TW-FS Movie Series

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by BLNadal, Aug 30, 2018.

1. tonysandlin

tonysandlin Well-Known Member

Yes

• Like Like x 2
  2. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm willing to buy up anything that has a WWI and WWII alt mode. There was ROTF and G2 Ransack, and you damn well bet I've got those. Then there were TFC's Iron Army sets, which included a PzKpfw VI, T-34, a P-51 Mustang...and a J7W Shinden of all things.

The Shinden impresses me the most. Talk about super, super obscure there. Made by Kyushu Hikoki, it was a push style prop plane, with two prototypes. One ended up crashing and the other one has it's fuselage on display at the Smithsonian's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    You're not wrong. But if you crash land during WW* and scan a nearby vehicle, you could easily learn the mannerisms of someone who you're around often, such as a war general.

That's why I brought up Ironhide in G1. World Wide Web didn't exist then, but the point of mimicry still stands.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Scott8797

Scott8797 Well-Known Member

Honestly most of the 3p I’ve been looking at are good prices for what they’re offering. And this has the detail to be $60 just a tad small. May get one anyways because it does look great.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tell me about it. 3P or official they're the only transformable representations of those historical vehicles and I always felt that kind of theme should continue on. Hell, that's why I want Bulldog alone. When am I ever going to have a chance to get a transforming British Mark as a toy?

• Like Like x 3
  6. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    God that face on that guy is horrible. Looks like an actual human.

7. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Use one of the alternate gas mask-like faces.

I want this, but it's going to be expensive and MP scaled...

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lukelbs

Lukelbs Well-Known Member

This picture is kind of dark with Bulldog driving through a field of corpses... 6a6f1a0fly1g02pmwurnsj21hc0u0e81.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  9. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

I picture this guy being voicedby john clease and it makes me want him more

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Stop that, you’re being silly.
    85AFBEC8-8392-4A1B-9BD9-91568F5C084B.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  11. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper Least insane TF fan

News Credits:
    First thoughts..AMAZING!!

12. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Welcome to the Great War.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Markdelg

Markdelg Spin Road fan

News Credits:
    What a great looking toy from such a shitty film.

14. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    That’s basically been my relationship with TF movie toys since 2007. :lol 

• Like Like x 7
  15. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
  16. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? Human like features have been a thing for ages. Human like accessories, too. Alpha Trion frequently wears a cape, and had his facial hair grow AND change color as he aged. G1 Wheelie was basically designed wearing a baseball cap. G1 Arcee had a helmet design based on Leia's hair and a deployer visor that resembled a pair of shades. Animated Perceptor also outright wore glasses, as well. Also, Bludgeon has MANY toys that ignore that his famous samurai look was a pretender shell and just design it to be his robot mode because that's what fans recognize most.

• Like Like x 2
  17. User_96283

User_96283 Banned

Capes aren't anything wierd, that's just robotic pieces looking like a cape. Nothing nearly as precise in its imitation as this British monocle vet soldier face. Changing colour when dying is also pretty universal, even plants do it, nothing as precise as a freaking brit soldier monocle guy.
    Wheelies head does not look like a baseball cap nearly to the same degree as this looks like a soldiers cap or world war 2 helmet. It's a short lip and that's just one feature from his body design so it is subtle.
    The head on arcee is also so very round and actually not like 2 donuts on each side of her head. Again, it's a subtle lean into it, but it could also be called a round helmet that really just does everything it can to be circular and generally human head shaped as possible for a female. Her shades over her eyes are not as much shades as they are different eye modes since a lot of other characters have eyes like that. It's not obvious she puts on shades and the viewer can believe her visor is eye tech that is actually common place across lots of robots and isn't trying hard af to remind you this is a ww1 styled robot like a bludgeon to the head (same situation for the facial hair, it was common among many robots and not some very specific part of the human character it's supposed to be imitating). Speaking of Bludgeon, yes the toys ignore it and most of the toys have to incorporate tons of the tank alt mode in it and so those parts that are like armour are often tank plating draped over the body, and the samurai head is already fairly common place with tons of robots having all sorts of soldier armour heads from Spartans to ninjas and everything in between, so again not sticking out like a sore thumb and blending in with many other robot designs that did that. By comparison, movie drift looks like a human samurai just coated with chrome and metal. He barely looks like anything BUT a (metal coated human) samurai and it reeks of lazy design and a lack of sophisticated design elements to cleverly balance the robotic aspect with the semi familiar samurai form.
    Overall, boring and dumb.

There can be different degrees to which design elements can be (subjectively) perceived to be acceptable with regards to the premise of the design existing. Just because I have some faults doesn't mean I have faults with entire concept of a design direction, but just to the degree to which it is done.
    Subtely when appropriate, and sometimes going all out if appropriate (ex. Say, an insecticon having tons of insect legs in both robot and insect mode).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  18. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

The tank mode Bludgeon design where his robot mode is the Samurai is in fact pulled from a movie toy. He has treads visible, but just as much, Drift has bits of his alt mode present. Even I dislike the level the movies went to for AoE, but trying to claim that none of the other series are guilty of that kind of thing is just out and out ignoring a ton of examples and that the movie designs still kept elements of their alt modes in the robot modes. Alpha Trion and Arcee were not designed with working transformations in mind, and many of the G1 models are completely cheated to just make a more appealing robot, regardless of the designs in the base. It's a common note on the Wiki that the Combaticons barely resemble their toys at all. Alpha Trion is also a robot. Why would a metal beard grow or change colors? They just modeled him off a human.

Animated heavily went into the idea of the Transformers mimicking humans as well, from facial hair (Alpha Trion, Wheeljack, Wreck-Gar), characteristic gaps in the teeth (Hothead Blitzwing, Highbrow), glasses/eye-wear (Perceptor/Icy Blitzwing), goggles (Blitzwing, Jetfire), designs that fully invoke human outfits (Blitzwing, Highbrow, Prowl), actual clothes (Lockdown's poncho), and so on. Even the idea of barely showing any of their alt mode is nothing new. Alpha Trion is so bad at this in all incarnations that he's rarely ever had toys designed explicitly for him, and the few he's gotten were repaints of someone else or drastically different than his fictional appearances (Titans Return). This is also why G1 Arcee went without a toy for so long. She was a robot first and foremost.

19. User_96283

User_96283 Banned

I'm not holding tf animated to the same standard as I am this design because animated is so cartoony and ridiculous (that almost being the charm of the show) that I am able to overlook that but only in that 2d medium. Prowl is a good example of looking like a highway bike cop. I am not oblivious to these and it just goes to show how much this design must annoy me for me to mention it given that this style is far from unprecedented. Once again, my problem is the degree to which that style is employed in the live action movies. Movie wheeljack or "Que" was pretty much just Albert Einstein as a robot. That bothers me, especially with the fact that these are live action versions, I want the most "believable" version of cybertronians (in my collection of the more life like versions of transformers).
    But hey, this is generally subjective arguement and I feel we're going in circles. So hey, agree to disagree.

Btw I generally figured there was never a tank mode samurai bludgeon design before ROTF, but that toy did a great job where many movie designs failed. Don't get me wrong, i do like some movie designs, I just really dislike this one's face. The body and alt mode and everything else is pretty effing sick.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

I find that it's just a bit unfair to hold such standards when these elements have been there since G1, and Animated was one that pushed it to the farthest. But, you'll find plenty of justifications elsewhere. Bulldog's face, to me, is no worse than what someone like Alpha Trion or Wreck-Gar would look like in the real world, honestly.

• Like Like x 1