Toyworld TW-F09 Tactics Waistcoat (Freedom Leader)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Desertwindhounds, Jan 11, 2019.

1. guarayakha

guarayakha Guara-guara-booyakha~!

I find that an axe is kinda too barbaric in nature for Optimus, and then find it funny that the the one iteration that made sense for him to wield one doesn't have it (Fire Convoy; fire&rescue should have an axe at the ready!)

• Like Like x 3
  2. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Barbaric? Megatron has freaking flail as his weapon. Those things ain’t pleasant :p 

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thalyn

Thalyn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Megatron is a former gladiator, though, where a flail or spiked mace is quite likely to be seen - at least if cartoons have taught me anything accurate. Also nets, spears, and tigers... each of which Megatron is disappointingly short of.

You could argue that a sword is a more civilised weapon, but realistically they're all pretty barbaric. That's kinda the point of weapons when you think about it.

• Like Like x 3
  4. svek

svek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which is why Bayformer Op with wrist swords or a knight with a shield and a sword is better

5. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Bayformer Prime has an ax too. In fact, he had a trailer full of weapons.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Still see the Sunshine

Personally, as a fan of all of Transformers, I just ignore the toxic or petty fans rather than try to instigate anything. When you're a fan of the entire franchise, you learn there's folks on every "side" that can be really shallow, and they like to turn everything into "us vs them" arguments. These folks will likely never change their mind, so trying to convince them of anything is a waste of time, but they're not representative of what all the fans of any one series are like. Plently of people are fine with letting others enjoy what they like, they just don't stand out amongst the vulgar, triggerhappy people who are ready to start throwing around labels and strawmen arguments at the drop of a hat. But also, it goes both ways. Don't generalize all G1 fans as being Geewunners or Bay haters or whatever if you don't want to open yourself to criticism. Basically, don't feed the trolls and don't be a prick.

• Like Like x 4
  7. skywarp-2

skywarp-2 Master of Teleportation

Ebay:
    I think, as a geewinner myself, Optimus and Megatron were adept at range attacks with guns and cannons. But there were occasions where pure energy axes and flails were necessary for close quarters melee combat. However, my child like mind attributed its only 1 appearance logically to what the theme of the early 1st 2 seasons conveyed...
    Energy and its conservation were a necessity, to rebuilding Cybertron and winning the war. The whole premise of why they left Cybertron in the first place. So there were better ways of combat due to not using that much Energon to generate those weapons.

Still, any true G1 translation of Prime Should come with an Axe.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RETROTHRUST

RETROTHRUST Best-Known Member

Been hearing that this guy got shut down. Any truth to that before I dig through 100+ pages?

Also is there any kind of disambiguation page for versions of this prime?

9. Hexatron

Hexatron Plastic crack junky

It's all hearsay at the moment. The fact that TW just released images of the accessories makes it seem that the project is still moving forward.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sephiroth169

Sephiroth169 Well-Known Member

No Confirmation or Truth at this Point.
    Hope Shutdown is not True.

However, unlike different 3rd Party Figures Cancellation and Shutdown Speculation, Rumor this time comes from Vendors.

But as many People said, TW still works on the Figure with additional Weapons, so it is only a Heavy Delay to 2020.

Release of Freedom Leader and Orion Knight will not be so soon.

People often forget about the "Test Sample" Rule.

AFTER Test Samples Reviews start to show up on Youtube, the Figure will be released around 2-3 Months later.

It was ALWAYS like this.

In Case of Orion Knight and Freedom Leader:
    There are not even Test Samples around.

So do not expect a Release soon.
    Not even January 2020....far later would be my guess

• Like Like x 1
  11. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Maybe the mods should add "NOT CANCELED" to the thread title.

• Like Like x 4
  12. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    For the love of god, please mods, please do this....

• Like Like x 3
  13. Turnman

Turnman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't miss it. I get what you are talking about. DX9 and UT designs do sometimes look like they would benefit from some sculpt polishing. But those ILM files make the difference when you model something in 3D as opposed to doing it out of a few screen caps and flat promotional CG pics. Freedom leader here gets away with it thanks to the fantastic paintjob… but you zoom in into it as much as you do with the Megatron head and you see that the detail isn’t in the same league as the 3A Optimus. The 3A looks like it has layers of working pieces atop more working and moving pieces whereas the TW looks just like molded detail that here and there had to be interpreted out of stills with a nice paintjob to make it look nice.

Paint does a lot to bring out the intricacies of sculpts or to kill them. Compare a “ready for action” paintjob for some Warhammer minis in just three colors…
    Warhammer-Conquest-Magazine-Review-6-Painted.jpg

To another paintjob on the same minis meant to bring out the details using more paint:
    Painted Primaris.jpg

Same way a bland sculpt can be made awesome with paint:
    CHAOS-WARRIOR-Talisman-3rd-Ed-Dungeon-of-Doom.jpg chaos-warrior-comparison.jpg
    Look how much inteesting the detailed red helmet is compared to the bare sculpt.

So what I think is that UT fucked up in the paint department by being cheap and not in the sculpt since an even more detailed sculpt based on interpretations of stills would still look flat and dead without painted details and washes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I see what you mean, but megs has a much smaller amount of details that would be apparent even with paint. As to TW, the head-sculpt while slightly off in proportions, has nearly every single detail/panel line from the screen cap.
    (I kinda think UT is having a hard time transitioning from G1 detailing....)
    D30E2143-40EA-4FB8-8448-5924213A6670.png
    48AA82B1-4C0F-4EC8-9D0B-6CB62BDB29D5.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  15. LeoJ

LeoJ Well-Known Member

I think you’re right, they’re stuck in g1 mode

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sonofadefro

Sonofadefro Don't waste food. I'll keel you

I understand that many people want to see optimus as some kind of robot messiah. But let's be honest here, in any war, soldiers and warriors must commit brutalities. I for one, do not subscribe to the idea that the act of killing makes anyone more 'heroic'. So i dont think it really matters what kind of weapon optimus holds. He is a symbolic character, and he isn't symbolic because of his weapon(in G1, his final battle against megatron was a fist fight). But i do think the energon blades from the bay films look really sweet. Kinda reminds of the Energon axe, but dual wielding.
    However if we look closely, the movie set designers are the ones who put careful thought into the weapons of choice. For example, against sentinel prime, a swordsman with good counter-attacking and defensive skills, a heavy axe makes sense because shielding against such a heavy blow will knock him off-balance and lower his defence. Other times, the weapons are there to match the theme. Knight prime is self explanatory.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  17. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    You've given me some stuff to think about, but I will say that I sure hope you're this critical of the G1 side of fans, and ask them not to be pricks as well. I simply pointed out a way that G1 fans can be hypocritical or just a bit goofy (holding things in super high regard for the same reasons that some of them bash the movieverse for), but it's up to you to decide if that's gewunner bashing or feeding the trolls or whatever though.
    Interesting and I agree with really liking the care and detail put in by the artists. I just think certain weapons fit in with Optimus' displays of power. If he's a good tactician he wouldn't relegate himself to sniping or wielding small arms unless he really had to since he has many thousands of bots under his command. Anyway, just some fun speculation.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why are there so many anti-G1 posts lately? o_O 

• Like Like x 1
  19. gtf316

gtf316 Nuked in the face.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Because G1 is cancelled.

20. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh. Well damn. Did anybody else know about this? I just kinda' thought we were on season 35 of the cartoon by now and I had some serious catching up to do.

• Like Like x 7