Toyworld or Fansproject Headmasters?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by BoNKerS, Sep 30, 2013.

?

Toyworld or Fansproject Headmasters?

1. Toyworld

81 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Fansproject

298 vote(s)
    78.6%
  1. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

I plan to mix and match; most, like Brainstorm, Chromedome(if its eva re-release), Highbrow, and few others would FansProject, but I would Toyworld's Hardhead because I like his size. I was hoping Toyworld would get a Apeface out before Fansproject but FP beat them to the punch; I have Perfect Effect's Fort Max and hope we see their Scorponok soon.

2. RayH

RayH Well-Known Member

I have all the fansproject headmasters that are out so far and i love them. I think the sculpting is so much better on the FP ones, its really crisp. the toyworld sculpts just don't look nearly as good they are no where near as detailed. they seem doughy....

i alkso think the FP ones are much more g1 accurate i really don't like how they did the brainstorm x-wing mode.

I love the brainstorm one, mostly because brainstorm was one of my favorite toys as a kid that i have memories of. I almost never think the 3rd party figures are as good as hasbro usually. but in this case i i like the FP brainstorm more than the hasbro one coming out.

the only weak figure kinda for me was chrome dome just cause he doesn't have all the sculpting detail the newer ones have.

I'm really looking forward to getting all the new headmasters coming, it will be cool having them all done in a cohearent style.......

3. The New Guy

The New Guy Well-Known Member

I'll be getting Fansproject for all of the Autobots and Apeface. The transformations have just been so much fun and Function X is pretty much my favourite current line. That said I like the Toyworld figures too and I have Swamper on the way, but their other releases haven't appealed to me enough to buy yet.

4. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends on what you are looking for. The function X line is second to none in transformation schemes and differentiating their alt modes. Masterful work was done to make sure each figure does something entirely unique. They're all of similar scale and crisp mecha sculpting to go with any other Fansproject or Maketoys offerings. Function X eliminates most kibble minus the iconic parts, and obviously are meant to evoke the headmaster cartoons style as opposed to the toy. They're cheaper overall but go the extra mile with the headmasters to slightly hide the back portions of the faces.Their drawback is their deluxe stature and their baffling lack of effort to design a full range of standard articulation in each figure, especially considering that they are a collector toy. If you like transforming figures over and over these ones are for you. You'll never want to put them down.

Toyworld's offerings have size, and articulation. They're big chunky bots that take more liberties with the toy/show designs. They are more expensive, but they are much larger. Their build quality varies, but play value was obviously a key component in the design process. They have extra weapons hidden all over and lots of configuration options for their arsenals. As a bonus they are compatible with G1 headmasters and tend to fit in better with official figures. The downsides include simplistic and boring transformations and the tendency to wear their kibble. Their Swamper for example just has croc legs hanging off the back and the robot legs. Hardbone's treads just flop around with inexplicable orange plastic, and brainstorm has a fake cockpit. None of their headmasters make an effort to hide their faces. Build quality can be an issue with plastic not being up to par and some joints/tabs not entirely locking like Brainwave. If you want articulation, size, enjoy the look of the kibble and cost is a non factor, these are the way to go.

5. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I keep seeing ppl say FP are cheaper......not for us UK ppl they aren't. They are pretty much the same price with Swamper actually being cheapest than both (I'm assuming Kapow's price is an early bird though).

EDIT - Chimungmung has them all listed at the same price too.

6. shade360

shade360 Well-Known Member

Swamper is excellent - and suggest you snap him up ;) 

[see what I did there?] lol

7. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got hardbone from Toyworld.That one is cool. I have a question about Smart Robin(Brainstorm).Where is the cockpit for his headmaster unit in alt mode? Anyone have a photo of the cockpit with the pilot inside?

8. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I have most of the headmasters from both companies and I enjoy the toyworld ones more. The Fansproject versions can fit in with wider collection because of their more normal proportions but I just think the Toyworld ones are fun. The question you have to ask yourself is "do I want to play with this?". If you don't play then stick the FP, otherwise get the TW.

9. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Forgot I posted in here lol

Well I got Hardbone. Loved it. Then got a decent deal on Brainwave and UUUU.

Suffice to say UUUU has been moved on, the problems I had when watching the reviews I just couldn't shake in hand, plus he is really quite small so TW all the way. Really hoping for Highbrow next. In the mean time I've made a few changes and plan on giving them fully articulated hands...should be here in the next week:

[​IMG]

Really dig the chunky aesthetic. Got to have a fiddle with Swamper recently too and that evokes so many memories....very cool toy.

Cockpit is on the back:

[​IMG]

I've thought about displaying that as his chest like the reversible trick for Swamper but not sure.

10. motorthing

motorthing Don't blink you might miss.........

News Credits:
    Swamper is a step up in both quality and fun for Toyworld. So I'll be carrying on with the "best of both" approach.

I realise that some genuinely believe it has to be one or the other but at present I can afford to go for the best from either. So I eagerly await what Toyworld comes up with next.

And just for the record: Hardbone wasn't much fun but Smart Robin is pretty much the definition of hand-candy. So don't get caught up in absolute definitions here.

11. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Cannot rest until we have a bus-former.

Ebay:
    Both are great, but I think FP edge out Toyworld

12. Red leader

Red leader Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like them both, Toyworld have improved whilst they have gone along whilst FP have been solid with each release.

I love Code but after having Swamper in hand I can't help but wonder how awesome a Toyworld Chromedome could be.

13. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    No I'm not averse to mixing and matching (my entire collection is basically a jumble of lines) and I really do get when ppl point to scale between different characters but (and you may quote me on this shocker) scale be damned with Headmasters. They all have one thing in common....a human sized head, so for me at least there needs to be a semblance of uniformity across the board.....which I guess is a scale unto itself? Yes Scorponok and Fort Max pretty much laugh in the face of this idea but they are two characters I'm not bothered about....although a TW Cerebros would be pretty cool.

Maybe I'm wrong but won't the aspects I don't like about UUUU be across the board? Like I said earlier, transformation means nothing to me. Yes, Smart Robin looks interesting but it's wasted on me.

I think the outstanding thing here is we have the choice.

EDIT - And yeah Andy....a chunky, highly articulated Chromedome would be immense but Highbrow first please :) 

14. hypno

hypno Well-Known Member

I buy almost everything that Toyworld makes, I just really like their designs, color choices, and the durability of the things they make. There's lots of play value and they are fun toys foremost with a strong G1 feel.

15. Artereis

Artereis Well-Known Member

I love TW's Throttlebots, and the majority of their other work, but I can't help but feel that their headmasters are their weakest product line. The transformations are uninspired and they're overall chunkier than I like. I just feel like they could be doing better with them.

16. dwong1207

dwong1207 Well-Known Member

FP...they are less expensive too. Do have TW Hardhead, but like the feel of fp stuff more.

17. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I own those same figures and also don't personally like the chunkiness of their headmasters. They are fine and I don't mind if they aren't crazy innovative with transformations, the style just doesn't do it for me compared to FP. To me toy worlds are more like a Hasbro toyline and FPs like a Takara collector line if that makes sense.

18. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Where is the 'both' option?

FP have aimed at the deluxe-ish size to date. This works with the figures they have done so far but Hardhead and Skullcruncher should be voyager/ultra size.

19. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    Toyworld are the best. They do more, have more peg holes, are bigger, better weapons, have clicky joints, fit g1 heads and are closer to the characters roots in design aethetics.

I have all the FP ones so far but I think I am stopping now. Their Mindwipe is just too anorexic.

20. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    I don't have either, but love the aesthetics of toyworld more. If I could have one, it would be their skull cruncher, now that looks just perfect. My personal preference again for tw brainwave, wish I could have him too. Waiting to see tw mindwipe, that is the real headmaster I want. The fp one looks good too, but already spent money on Columpio, so going to wait and see which mindwipe is the best.