Toyworld or Fansproject Headmasters?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by BoNKerS, Sep 30, 2013.

?

Toyworld or Fansproject Headmasters?

1. Toyworld

81 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Fansproject

298 vote(s)
    78.6%
  1. beigoma

beigoma Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

I have the three FP's and they are awesome. Great quality, great transformations, great colors, great designs all around. UUUU is my fav.

I don't have any TW so I can't offer insight on them beyond the QC issues I've heard others talk about (mostly loose joints).

2. SegaGenesis

SegaGenesis Headmaster

I have all three FP's and they're each incredible toys. Code is actually great, despite everyone's constant complaining about the lack of goddamn ankle tilts. Smart Robin is just ridiculous. His transformation is a work of art. I can't recommend him enough. QU is pretty good too, although not quite as fun as the other two. I look forward to the rest of the line.

I also have TW Hardbone, and he's... kind of a stinker. His giant cannon is so loose on the joint that it can't support it's own weight. The transformation itself is just a touch more complicated than legends Warpath. I had to trim one of the connector pieces that hold his arm treads in vehicle mode because it was longer than the other side. The bikini zone transformation is unnecessarily complicated and aggravating. His headmaster buddy doesn't fit well in the cockpit. It's actually easier to sit him with his legs straight up so he's kissing his ankles. His extra guns don't look quite right in any vehicle configuration. His fists won't come out unless you use his weapons to pull them out. I can go on. If I didn't love my G1 Hard Head so much I would have never bought this figure, or at the very least sold it.

I'm not just talking about this thread, but I think you really have to take a lot of these 3P figure posts with a grain of salt because:

1. Once people make an investment in an expensive figure it's sometimes difficult to admit it sucks.
    2. With companies competing for our dollars with alternate deco's/styles/sizes etc. of figures it's easy to fall into a trap of us vs. them.
    3. And most importantly, A LOT of these figures LOOK great but are not very good toys. QC issues, clearance issues, tolerances, counter-intuitive, stressful or boring transformations, poor alt modes, poor robot modes, poor scaling, not able to support their own weight, martian headsculpts, etc. I'm not calling anybody out, but some of these posts are from people who (admittedly) only looked at pictures. It's a different thing to hold it in your hands and decide.

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I prefer Toyworld's.

4. Skyfire87

Skyfire87 Phase 6r

I have every headmaster released by both. And I enjoy them ALL for different reasons . Overall I suppose fp takes it though .

5. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    I mix

6. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    After the recent reveals my interest has piqued for Headmasters and I've just been tussling over this very question. Google images settled it for me. FP'S are really quite small and don't seem to have such basic articulation as ankle tilt. Whilst they look good those two combined are too much of a deal killer for me and Toyworld's chunky aesthetic and more articulation swing it.

Now I need to backtrack and find a decent priced Headhead.....

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Seriously, don't just write them off because of ankle tilts. The articulation on these are perfectly reasonable. If you like fun and interesting transformations, these have some of the best ever made.

8. El Zilcho

El Zilcho Well-Known Member

Fansproject. This isn't even a contest.

9. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Nah I'm all for shelf presence and articulation as I barely mess with figures which is why I'm a MP whore :) 

If they were an inch bigger it would have made all the difference but that kinda goes across the whole FP release line for me.

10. motorthing

motorthing Carry on you Wayward Son

News Credits:
    I have all of them and no question they both have pluses and minuses but in terms of what's "best" it isn't even a contest - FP are better quality and just more fun. I have Swamper on the way and I understand he's a real improvement but FP's recent reveal just show me I won't be double dipping for too much longer.

And Hardbone was crap. I know I apparently got a lemon but it was just poor all round. Only Continuously Variable left my collection quicker.....and I hardly ever sell.

11. Mecheon

Mecheon Grumpy Dinosaur Nerd

Ankle tilts aren't basic articulation :p  Also UUUU has ankle tilts

The transformation on FP's stuff is a sight to behold

There's a reason I picked up Hardbone when he was on massive markdown on BBTS

As for me, I get a mix depending on how I feel the character should be. So a Snapdragon or Apeface release, seeing as I've always been of the opinion they're bigger guys compared to most Headmasters, would have me going that way

12. Bujo

Bujo Well-Known Member

Mix and match for the win. ToyWorld's Hardhead looks great dwarfing FP's Chromedome and Brainstorm. I'm hoping the TW Skullcruncher will look equally as good with WeirdWolf. I'm loving FP's designs, especially that Apeface, but I'm hoping Highbrow will be TW's next headmaster. That's another character I'd like to see made larger.

13. ZEGR

ZEGR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One thing that TW have is size... Other than that I think FP's are better engineered.Unfortunately neither fit in with mp collection

14. levyshahar

levyshahar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TW all the way for me. Just wish they release their figures faster.

15. Cyberrabbits

Cyberrabbits Well-Known Member

FP headmasters are not as pricey as TW and I fell that when I paid $80 for code I had a lot of fun with him and the same for Quad and SR. Their transformations are complex but enjoyable when you get the hang of it. So what if Smartrobin didn't have a faceplate or Quad dosent have wrist movement they are great quality, good scale with other figures, and the head transformations are awesome.

Not to say that TW's Hardbone wasn't all bad but i want his head to stand up straight without having little legs to bend in an weird position. Also another nit pick, I don't like the ratcheting on the legs or the faceplate on the head. And that the plastic feel a bit cheap but I can look pass my nit picks because the figure has a assortment of weapons to miss match or be creative. I was considering getting Swamper but that went away as soon as I saw what FP Sckull....FansProject with hands down with my desired design and scale that I want in a transforming head robot alligator toy....and with FP doing a Highbrow and Apeface (and at some point Snapdragon and hopefully Minerva) just makes it even sweeter .

Then there is FP version of Hardhead....I might sell my Hardbone and get FP Hardhead but I'll cross that bridge when I cross it.

In the end it's up to you on which version you want....but looking at the poll above I think the answer is clear....

16. DogFriedRice

DogFriedRice Well-Known Member

Best policy. Why limit yourself to one company:

[​IMG]

Can't wait for FP Mindwipe.

17. The Crow

The Crow ARK BUILDER!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I actually have a mix of both. Toyworld for Hardhead and Skullcrusher. I like the size for those characters and Fansproject for Chromedome, Brainstorm, Weirdwolf, Mindwipe, Apeface and Highbrow!

18. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Man that looks good.

Anyone got a pic of FP Smart Robin with TW Hardbone?

19. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    I like Toyworld's for the big vehicles, and FP for the smaller guys IE Hardhead, Brainstorm and SkullCrunch on my shelf are all TW, but WeirdWolf and Chromedome are FP. Except where I don't like their designs period. I want a TW Highbrow not an FP one

20. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Both. I like TW for characters who are big and bulky (Snapdragon and Hardhead), FP for the leaner, smaller characters (Weirdwolf, Brainstorm, etc). I also like PE's Warden and am interested in the PE Scorponok.